Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why only sprint every 7-10 days? page 2

emerson is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    If you want to sprint strong read Clyde Hart.
    Last edited by emerson; 01-28-2012 at 09:14 PM.

SmokingKipper is offline Junior Member
    Sorry for a little hijack, I don't really wish to create another thread about this...but would something like Burpee intervals be a decent equivilant to sprinting?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    There are many exercises that will waste you pretty quickly - sprint rows on an erg are nice, too. Burpees are pretty brutal. I'm pretty sure Mark would say, real sprinting is ideal but if you can't do it, then any super-intense work that will exhaust you in less than a minute is good.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

johnnyq is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up McMaster studies

McMasters University interval training research recommended 3 interval training sessions per week:

McMaster Daily News

McMaster Daily News

McMaster Daily News

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyq View Post
    McMasters University interval training research recommended 3 interval training sessions per week:

McMaster Daily News

McMaster Daily News

McMaster Daily News

That entire study involved 6 training sessions over 14 days - and it wasn't even about how often to sprint, it was about whether submaximal interval training would produce similar benefits to max effort interval training.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

mmapags is offline Member
    Well you know I tried that but, combined with strength training, it wore my butt out! After doing that for 2 weeks and trying to get in 2 of each, sprinting and LHT, I had to take 3 days off I was so whipped. Now, I am trying for 1 sprint per week, 2 strength (LHT), and 2 or 3 - 45 minute to 1 hour walks. We'll see how it goes. But as others have said, there is a rate of dimishing returns if you are truly sprinting and, combined with strength training, you burn yourself out!

Quote Originally Posted by mmapags View Post
    Well you know I tried that but, combined with strength training, it wore my butt out! After doing that for 2 weeks and trying to get in 2 of each, sprinting and LHT, I had to take 3 days off I was so whipped. Now, I am trying for 1 sprint per week, 2 strength (LHT), and 2 or 3 - 45 minute to 1 hour walks. We'll see how it goes. But as others have said, there is a rate of dimishing returns if you are truly sprinting and, combined with strength training, you burn yourself out!
    Funny how people always end up right back at Mark's basic reccos - they work pretty well for most people it seems.

mmapags is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Funny how people always end up right back at Mark's basic reccos - they work pretty well for most people it seems.
    So true, so true! Human nature seems like we always want to complicate things but it not like Mark knows what he's talking about or anything!

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    It is because of the "more is better" mentality. Taking that concept and applying it in the wrong context is always going to fail. We have been hammered all of our lives about how we need lots of exercise and how so and so trains hours a day etc. etc. Marks lays out a reasonable plan that if followed in a similar way, should produce results for most. I have been training in some fashion or another for almost 25 years and I can tell you that there is no way I could do intense weight training and 2 or 3 sprint sessions in the same week for very long without feeling like hell. You simply can't recover from that. It takes some time. Quickly one would find themselves dreading and finding excuses to skip the workouts. The idea of training is to get stronger,not weaker and more tired. If you are walking around tired a lot of the time thinking this is how it is with training, stop now! You should feel great almost always. You should literally bounce out of bed in the morning ready to take on the day.

johnnyq is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    That entire study involved 6 training sessions over 14 days - and it wasn't even about how often to sprint, it was about whether submaximal interval training would produce similar benefits to max effort interval training.
    No sir, it seems like you did not read and/or comprehend the links provided.

For example the bottom link partially states:

"No time to exercise" is no excuse

by Jane Christmas

September 19, 2006

Bookmark and Share This Page

Those who maintain that the busy pace of life offers no time to exercise have just run out of another excuse, unless of course they can't spare three minutes to exercise.

The "catch" is that the exercise consists of short bursts of intense effort separated by a few minutes of recovery, meaning a single training session lasts about 20 minutes. However, a new study published in the Journal of Physiology shows that performing THREE OF THOSE SESSIONS EACH WEEK (my caps) provides the same benefits as that achieved by up to two hours of daily moderate exercise....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast