Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    I lol'd
    No big surprise there.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Sure, but I am a dirty immigrant. Does that still count? :P
    Comes with a whole different set of issues, depending on where you're from, whether you "pass" for white, have an accent, etc . . .

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    no one is asking you to apologize for being a white man or to feel guilty.
    It could always be interpretation or the wonders of reading instead of actually conversing but Blackcatbone said:

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    This is a bullshit excuse made by white people (well I never owned slaves!) to make them feel better about their cultural position being better than that of most black people.
    How would one make themselves feel better if there was not some perceived guilt or unfairness? If no one was expected to feel guilty or over privileged due to an accident of birth then they would have nothing to feel better about.

Oh, and I am quite happy with how my life turned out. I am married to 'a good woman'. I do not feel the need to use her to harvest fruits. Though she is Asian, but, right, that is not a real minority according to the good Rev. Sharpton.

canio6 Guest
    Comes with a whole different set of issues, depending on where you're from, whether you "pass" for white, have an accent, etc . . .
    I pass for white, no accent though I do have a rather pronounced lisp. Does sounding like Sylvester count as a disadvantage? All that aside, I am really just f*cking with you at this point. I have enough of my own failings to feel guilty about to worry if because of my skin color I should add some kind of group guilt for what some people who were totally unrelated to me did in a county I didn't live in until centuries/decades after they happened.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    No big surprise there.
    You do say ridiculous things sometimes
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

I pass for white, no accent though I do have a rather pronounced lisp. Does sounding like Sylvester count as a disadvantage? All that aside, I am really just f*cking with you at this point. I have enough of my own failings to feel guilty about to worry if because of my skin color I should add some kind of group guilt for what some people who were totally unrelated to me did in a county I didn't live in until centuries/decades after they happened.
    The concept that someone should feel guilty for what they are born with and is immutable is ridiculous. My family immigrated to America in 1705 to escape persecution from Catholics in German part of the HRE. They lived in PA and Ohio, they fought in the CW/WBS for the blue.

BCB ignores the fact that the first slaveowner in America was a black man.

I didn't really think you were being all that serious. And I don't really think that guilt is all that productive. Feeling guilty about what people you share the same skin tone with did is pretty pointless. But there is a pervasive attitude here in the states that black people should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps. (Not saying this is you.) This attitude ignores the reality of being second class citizens for most of their history of living here. Jim Crow laws quite effectively disenfranchised black people until 1965. If they were born after 65 they may not have directly experienced them, but all of their ancestors born in the states sure did. And just because the laws changed doesn't mean they're equally applied. Not all racism is obvious to those not experiencing it.

You do say ridiculous things sometimes
    They're only ridiculous to those to dense too understand them.

They're only ridiculous to those to dense too understand them.
    I'm a lot of things, dense isn't one of them.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm a lot of things, dense isn't one of them.
    Confident dumb people - Boing Boing

Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast