Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is the Boundless Energy? page

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member

Where is the Boundless Energy?

Shop Now
    The not liking mornings thread got me thinking. As I said in that thread, I'm really enjoying primal and I've definitely lost weight and am feeling fitter. But the boundless energy people talk of ... just hasn't happened for me ... and quite frankly, I want it! To me (after general health) this is one of the most attractive things about the primal lifestyle, the promise of feeling great all the time!

So what I am going to do here is detail my current diet and routine and see if more experienced primal people can spot some holes or offer advice as to what I might be missing or what I can change to try and find this energy utopia

So here's the info:

* I started primal at about 86kg, I'm down to 70kg. I don't want to lose any more weight but I still have the last roll of fat to lose around the waist.
    * I've altered my sleeping habits, I now go to bed at 10pm every night (or earlier), I generally wake around 5am. I'm a light sleeper, I always wake feeling tired.
    * I walk - slow movement almost every morning - usually between 3km and 5km.
    * I'm doing Mark Lauren's You are Your Own Gym every second day. Only on the beginner level.
    * I've started weekly sprints.
    * I have been IF (skipping breakfast) 3-4 days a week.
    * Typically, when I have breakfast it is my primal smoothie: 3 ice cubes, 1/3 cup berries (black, blue, raspberry, strawberry), 1 banana, 1 raw egg, half an avocado, 270ml coconut milk, 2 tblsp cinnamon, dash of vanilla essence.
    * Lunch is usually a salad of baby spinach, red and green peppers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, carrot, canned tuna.
    * Dinner - usually steak, sometimes chicken, usually with 4-5 eggs fried in macadamia oil, again with the same sort of salad.
    * I have one, maybe two coffees a day before midday.

That's it - I don't cheat with other foods. I barely touch alcohol any more.

What am I missing?? Frustrating the hell out of me, I want to feel great like everyone else!
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a member of the boundless energy club yet. But a few things I have found that really helped my energy increase were to increase offal in my diet (liver, bone marrow, chicken stock every week), adding iodine and magnesium to my diet.

The best energy I had on this diet was in the beginning when I was in ketosis and doing a bit more fasting. I can't find the discipline right now to go back to that. But I am going to try it again. I also found that giving up chocolate and coffee helped.

But, I am still waiting to find way to crazy good energy. I'm ecstatic with the gains I've made, but not there yet.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Try eggs with some meat for breakfast instead of a smoothie & ditch tuna for salmon. Generally feeling tired means not enough fat and protein.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the not enough protein. Maybe add more protein at lunch and a couple more eggs and some meat to breakfast.

Interested on the benefits of salmon vs tuna, I admit I am more a fan of the tuna flavour.

On the smoothie for breakfast - it's pretty high fat with the coconut milk and avocado, plus it has an egg in it as well.

I am wondering whether it is not enough fat in the diet but I still have the mental baggage that if I eat much more I will put the weight back on.
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net

peril is offline Senior Member
    Definitely get more protein overall, especially at breakfast. Doesn't really matter what. How much protein are you getting? Sounds like very little

I'd look at dropping smoothies though - eat food, don't drink it. You might try changing your IF pattern too.

No reason to drop tuna for salmon. You might want to check the omega 3 content of the tuna though. It varies enormously between species
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

jakey is offline Senior Member
    confession - i didn't really read through your whole list, so i have nothing to critique... except the whole boundless energy line itself. it's marketing. far be it from me to say that primal eating won't make you feel or perform better. but "boundless energy?" come on.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    confession - i didn't really read through your whole list, so i have nothing to critique... except the whole boundless energy line itself. it's marketing. far be it from me to say that primal eating won't make you feel or perform better. but "boundless energy?" come on.
    Yet I've read plenty of posts from people on here saying they feel exactly that, so I think its more than marketing.
    Buzz71

Peril - I'm eating 4-5 eggs a day, a fairly significant amount of meat, I also do whey protein shakes sometimes. This isn't enough? What should I be targeting for more? Not disagreeing, just curious how I could add more.

Also, interested in why the smoothie is not a good option - tons of good fats in there and its a great way to eat the berries, I'm not a big fan of eating them straight.
    Buzz71

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I'm not a member of the boundless energy club yet.
    Me, neither. I noticed in your sig, jammies, that you have autoimmune arthritis. I have Hashimoto's. I wonder if the autoimmune factor plays a role, and whether the boundless energy can come before the autoimmunity is in remission? Just thinking out loud (out loud?)...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast