Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning to like vegetables and fruits? page

Vurtle is offline Junior Member

Learning to like vegetables and fruits?

Primal Fuel
    I am about three weeks into eating Primal and have not been able to conquer my extreme dislike of fruits and vegetables. Has anyone had similar troubles and overcome it? I can tolerate lettuce and spinach leaves and that's about it. I usually can eat at least 3 or 4 bites of fruit and then I start squirming and gagging. I even try to be positive about it and still fail. Bananas taste like dirt, kiwis taste like window cleaner, and don't even get me started about squash and cucumbers. Any help from those who have been here would be appreciated.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you're not a fruit eater~ I'm not~ Start with what you like and don't push more than you actually want~ you should enjoy eating, otherwise, it becomes a punishment. And cheese makes every veggie I know taste better

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    I was the same way; most fruit was pretty meh and I could only stomach veggies if they had a bunch of salt and other flavors on them. After months of eating primal, veggies and fruit totally changed in taste for me. I can actually taste subtle sweetness in vegetables, for example, and most good-quality fruits are as sweet as candy. I made some homemade dried banana slices the other day and they were like gummy bears, they were so awesome.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You need to figure out that food wasn't created to make you happy. It's there to provide us with nutrition. It doesn't have to taste good to be eaten. I mean, raw kale tastes like butt and I ate it for six months before learning about oxalates. And it did me a lot of good! Cooking things definitely makes them taste better, if that's any help. But, for the most part, you need to get over the notion that food is supposed to equal pleasure and just eat it. Flavors are not good or bad, they are just flavors. YOU decide whether or not to enjoy them.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    You need to figure out that food wasn't created to make you happy. It's there to provide us with nutrition. It doesn't have to taste good to be eaten. I mean, raw kale tastes like butt and I ate it for six months before learning about oxalates. And it did me a lot of good! Cooking things definitely makes them taste better, if that's any help. But, for the most part, you need to get over the notion that food is supposed to equal pleasure and just eat it. Flavors are not good or bad, they are just flavors. YOU decide whether or not to enjoy them.
    That's just sad. If we weren't meant to enjoy food, we wouldn't have taste buds.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious what you used to eat before.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    I am not a fruit eater and am selective about the veggies I like. (Hubby won't eat veggies other than peas or green beans. He's PICKY.)

I find the best thing for my has been to experiment a lot with different cooking methods. For example, apple slices fried in coconut oil is pure yumminess, but I gag trying to eat a raw apple. I enjoy spinach sauteed with garlic and butter, but hate the stuff raw.

Also, for me, I just try not to eat them straight up. Mixed into something - say, a deconstructed stuffed cabbage casserole - makes them more palatable.

For hubby, I sometimes "hide" veggies in things. I puree spinach and toss into spaghetti sauce. Or I chop up veggies super super small and put them in a meatloaf. He still digs out the occasional green pepper, but it helps.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Three weeks is nothing. After a few months you may notice your taste buds starting to change, and you'll start liking them more. Or maybe you'll hate them forever.

Try cooking everything in liberal amounts of Kerrygold butter, though. I recommend starting with baby broccoli. Saute it in butter until the tips start turning black. Yum. Brussels sprouts are good that way too, but make sure you cook them very thoroughly otherwise they taste like butt.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

I literally do not understand this phenomenon.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Don't eat them then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast