Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lair of the Primal WolfCat page

Tala Mosi is offline Junior Member

Lair of the Primal WolfCat

Primal Fuel
    I'm not a novice at this, so why is it still so damn hard to do?

I started life as a small, round Pup/Kitten. I totally skipped the gangly, long-legged, yearling stage and went straight to large, round WolfCat. Over the last 15 years, the large and round have been reduced by about a third, but there's still more WolfCat here than I'm happy with.

In the last two years, I've been tightly focused, reaching an almost obsessive stage of journaling, weighing, planning, etc. First I tried vegetarian because I watched a video about reversing diabetes by eating a mostly raw food diet. I modified it into a sort of hybrid vegetarian/higher-protein-from-dairy-sources diet because I just refuse to give up eggs and cheese, and had some success. But apparently the WolfCat isn't designed to eat vegetables, fruits, and grains. My fasting blood sugar reading was too high, although my A1C decreased. This was probably due more to weight loss than eating habits.

After several months with no more reduction of the WolfCat's large roundness, I started looking again. I read the book Wheat Belly, realized I'd been duped by the Big Agro/FDA/Big Pharma low fat/whole grain scam, and, after much cursing of them and their ancestry, decided it was time to reclaim my inner WolfCat. What worked for me was not low fat/whole grain. WolfCats are designed to eat meat, lots of meat, with some greens occasionally.

Like any sensible WolfCat I spent some time scouting new territory. I found MDA and liked the lay of the land. After so many years of hunting in other places with limited success, I was cautious. My instincts said to lay low and watch the local wildlife to determine the best hunting patterns as well as the optimal place for my lair.

I sampled some of the local flavor; tracked a few possible allies to their lairs; watched them a while, and decided that perhaps, this time, I'd found a place to stay.

By nature, WolfCats are cautious, hesitant to socialize, even while understanding the value of friends and allies. After much lurking, this WolfCat has decided to show myself to the local residents in the hope that this will become a place to finish the reduction of the large roundness to a reasonable WolfCat size.
    "There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls." - George Carlin

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Hi Tala & welcome to the tribe!!! I to am new to "public journaling" & read others for awhile before jumping in with my own. I'm a little on the shy side...but once things become more familiar I loosen up a bit! I started my Primal Journey on Jan 3rd & haven't looked back. This is one of the easiest ways of eating that I have ever tried!! And I've tried just about all the popular diets out there!!

This has been a very supportive group & I look forward to following your progress!! I love the way you wrote your opening post btw!!

Have a wonderful & Primal day!!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Hi Tala & welcome to the tribe!!! I to am new to "public journaling" & read others for awhile before jumping in with my own. I'm a little on the shy side...but once things become more familiar I loosen up a bit! I started my Primal Journey on Jan 3rd & haven't looked back. This is one of the easiest ways of eating that I have ever tried!! And I've tried just about all the popular diets out there!

This has been a very supportive group & I look forward to following your progress!! I love the way you wrote your opening post btw!!

Hello Cajun and thanks. Good luck on your journey. I agree it's an easier way to eat, but I'm almost six months into it and beginning to lose motivation. Actually the holidays and a bathroom remodel threw a huge monkey wrench into my motivation, resulting in broken gears and jammed conveyor belts.

I've been lurking for a while now and also find this a supportive group.
    "There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls." - George Carlin

If there is a state of mind that epitomizes frustration, I am there.

After almost six months of eating more or less primally, I foolishly decided to "take the holidays off" and eat whatever I was hungry for as well as indulging in the yearly ritual of carb loading that is my family's ode to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Needless to say I am now lethargic, stiff, and aching, and wondering where the hell my mind was when I made that decision.

My plan was to re-engage after the holidays, meaning January 2nd, and get back on the Primal wagon headed for less large roundness of the WolfCat. Life happens and I scheduled a bathroom remodel for January, which required me to spend two weeks living with my sister because I only have one bathroom in my house, um.. lair.

While she's also trying to lose weight, her idea of how to do that and mine do not agree. My best method is primal with lots of meat, more meat, any meat with some veggies to complement, damn the torpedoes and full fat ahead. Her method is balanced meat and vegetable meals, limited fat, and occasional carb binges. Needless to say, I did not re-engage January 2nd, and still haven't.

So, here I am, near the end of January, still fighting carb cravings and lurking around the forum trying to find inspiration. I can get there again, I know I can, but I am one grouchy, achy, sleepy WolfCat and not fit company for man nor beast.

Today's frustration was the Biscuit Monster, which attacked without warning, and WolfCat scarfed one down before I could do anything. <sigh>

I'm trying. I am. I talked and talked today. I reasoned. I pointed out how wonderful it felt when the large roundness was diminishing. I reminded of the joy of pounds disappearing. I even recalled the infinite pleasure of no pain while walking. And still the biscuit was devoured.

Lunch is another meal. I've looked at the menu, made good choices, and have my resolve stick ready to hand. Now into the battle!

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Hi Tala! Sorry to hear of your frustration. I had that alllllll of last year. I tried so many different things to lose weight & nothing worked. I'm curious...have you read Mark's Book (not the 21 day one but the Primal Blueprint one?) Or maybe Dr. Cordain's? I tell ya once I read how the body worked & what eating all those bad things do to your body & insulin levels I found it much easier to "stick" with it. I have no desire to eat pasta...or bread...or any of those things that aren't good for you. For me that was all it took really. I don't know if that helps or not.

Good luck! You can do this! If I can I think anybody can!!!
    Have a good evening!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Thanks, Cajun, for the kind thoughts. Yes, I've read both books and the cookbooks. There wasn't a lot of new information for me as I'm a lifelong reader of all things nutrition-related. It's more a matter of focus and determination for me than knowledge. I spent most of the last year and a half very determined to lose weight and I have lost some. But a two month carb orgy will strain even the most determined focus. It's getting better, but slowly.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

I thought today might be the day I re-engage.

Alas, it is not. I was late to work and so ate vending machine crap for breakfast. And then the evil potato spirit seduced me into eating fries with lunch.

I will overcome this lack of discipline. I know I will. In the meantime, I'm getting rounder again.

Today is better, not because I've battled the biscuit monster and won. No, I lost that battle again. But I went back to sword class last night and I feel much better this morning. I may hate myself tomorrow as the soreness sometimes waits two days to manifest, but today I feel good.

I've been thinking about how to get my eating back on track. Not a lot, but just in stray moments here and there. My problem is that nothing sounds like it will taste good. When I think about meat, I get queasy, and the thought of eating vegetables turns me green <pun fully intended>. If I could live on cheese, eggs, bacon, and more cheese, I think I'd be okay. But that's so far from balanced that it might be in a different 'verse.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I got a call from my insurance company last night. They have kindly added a diabetes education program at "no charge to me" and they wanted to send me all sorts of educational material on how to "control" my diabetes.

I don't want to "control" my diabetes. I want to kick it to the curb and I firmly believe it can be done regardless of the propaganda THEY are spreading.

Now, normally I'm a fairly polite and reasonable person, taking what people offer and discarding what I don't want. But I've become almost militant about all the "education" Big Pharma, the AMA, and Big Insurance is handing out to people that does them little or no good and, in most cases, causes extensive and ongoing harm.

I knew the person on the other end was just a low-paid distributor/pimp for the insurance company, but I refused to just hang up and interrupted her spiel. I explained that their methods of control did nothing for me except cause problems, and that there was no need for her to send me anything. I could immediately tell that she was shocked that I wasn't interested in her "educational information" and that I would interrupt her to declare that it was useless to me. I then explained that I used other methods to control my diabetes, thanked her for her call and hung up.

I wonder whether I'll get more calls on this subject.
    Last edited by Tala Mosi; 02-02-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast