Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The end of Illness? (Maclean's article) page

CSilivestru is offline Member

The end of Illness? (Maclean's article)

Hi everyone,

I recently stumbled accross this article (The end of illness? - Health - Macleans.ca) and thought I would post it here to see what others think of it.

I'm most interested in his idea behind ditching vitamins. I take Mark's Advanced Health Formula as well as his Omega 3's. I get quite a few people telling me I'm effectively paying for expensive urine -- is this really the case? I think I feel better on the vitamins compared to off but could that be some sort of placebo effect?

I don't care much about this guy's opinion since he seems to push the use of statins but I thought it might be a good discussion piece.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks for any input you might have!
    --Chris

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Seems like pills would be the antithesis of a Groking lifestyle.

Martha is offline Senior Member
    His push for statins set off alarm bells in my head. See Mike Eades on the subject of statins and diabetes. The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Ľ Statins and diabetes

Statins are dangerous. The fact that they are being so heavily promoted for well populations, including children, is frightening. At some point, I think we have to ask ourselves, Is it just greed, or stupidity, or is someone TRYING to make us all sick?
    Last edited by Martha; 01-24-2012 at 12:03 PM.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha View Post
    His push for statins set off alarm bells in my head. See Mike Eades on the subject of statins and diabetes. The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Ľ Statins and diabetes

Statins are dangerous. The fact that they are being so heavily promoted for well populations, including children, is frightening. At some point, I think we have to ask ourselves, Is it just greed, or stupidity, or is someone TRYING to make us all sick?
    I vote greed.

catherine p. is offline Junior Member
    Not only the use of statins but also the use of vaccines. I never had the flu vaccine and never had the flu either. Yet there are many people I know who get their shots and still end up sick winterlong. They are in chronic state of inflammation and I am not.

re: vitamin supplementation, it's very similar to Cordain's chapter on the same subject in "The Paleo Answer", and they each reference similar, if not identical, studies. Though Cordain does advocate Fish Oil and Vit D.

I'm in that boat as well. I no longer take a multi-vit or individual supps either.

CSilivestru is offline Member
    Yeah I think I'll just stick with my fish oil. I always felt that popping 8 pills a day was a little....un-grok like!
    I live in Winnipeg, MB (Canada) so I might add Vit D since our winters are extremely long and cold...

I've always felt the same way around the flu vaccine -- never had one and I've never gotten sick. But I guess that's just what happens when you follow this lifestyle :-).

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Knowing full well that Iím about to get hit with unending posts about the evils of statins, why are people, who would have dropped dead from heart disease 30 years ago, living so much longer? Numerous people with history of heart disease, the granddad died at 50 of heart problems, the dad died at 55 from heart problems, now the son, who according to Primal would be eating worse than the two previous generations because he follows CW, takes statins and is presently 75. How does this happen?

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dboxing View Post
    Knowing full well that Iím about to get hit with unending posts about the evils of statins, why are people, who would have dropped dead from heart disease 30 years ago, living so much longer? Numerous people with history of heart disease, the granddad died at 50 of heart problems, the dad died at 55 from heart problems, now the son, who according to Primal would be eating worse than the two previous generations because he follows CW, takes statins and is presently 75. How does this happen?
    Statins have not been shown to provide ANY benefit to women AT ALL, and none to men who do not already suffer from heart disease. The benefit to this last group is minimal. As with all prescription drugs, there are side effects, one of which appears to be a greatly increased risk of diabetes. No thanks.

In your example, you assume the increased longevity is solely due to the statins. Odds are, he has also undergone multiple bypass operations and takes so many prescription meds he has a hard time keeping track of them. He is very overweight and his activities are limited. He is alive but he is not healthy.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dboxing View Post
    Knowing full well that I’m about to get hit with unending posts about the evils of statins, why are people, who would have dropped dead from heart disease 30 years ago, living so much longer? Numerous people with history of heart disease, the granddad died at 50 of heart problems, the dad died at 55 from heart problems, now the son, who according to Primal would be eating worse than the two previous generations because he follows CW, takes statins and is presently 75. How does this happen?
    The dramatic drop in smoking, excessive drinking and acute stress(am I going to eat tomorrow) come to mind, though it's likely an extremely complicated answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast