Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College student needing help page

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Hey guys, I have been doing primal for about two weeks now, and I love it!

My energy is up, as well is my lifts, and I can begin to finally a 6 pack for the first time in my life!

But alas sadly this is a lot more expensive than the oatmeal, protein, and peanut butter diet I was on earlier (trying to gain a bit of muscle). I need a lot of calories as I am an extremely active meal, so i was wondering what you think of eating the following as a bulk of my calories in a day...

about a can of coconut milk (14 oz), 200 grams of almonds, 4-6 eggs, some ground beef, protein powder, and of course lots of veggies of all kinds, and I have a grapefruit a day.

Any advice? I know that is a lot of nuts and coconut milk, but they are both cheap, high in fat, and the almonds are a good source of protein with everything else i eat

Thanks!

GrockinOut!

lesliek is offline Member

Looks good to me. Some people also eat coconut oil by the spoonful. Avocados (if you can get them cheap) are good too, as well as sweet potatoes. My brother is trying to bulk up, so he puts together a bowl of avocado slices, raw milk cheese and sun-dried tomatoes, and then drizzles it with olive oil. He also drink lots of whole milk, which is a cheap source of calories if you can tolerate dairy.

Glad to have you grockin out with us!

hfox is offline Junior Member

Make sure to slather those veggies in a generous amount of butter, also. Maybe add in some bacon if you can swing it, too. You can never go wrong with bacon :-D

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member

I feel ya on the difficulties of being primal in college. Personally I down eggs like crazy, on the order of almost a dozen a day, but for me keeping things like almonds around inevitably leads to binging since I don't have to do anything more than reach in and munch.

I second the bacon judgment.

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

sounds fine to me - but some people have digestion issues w/almonds if they eat too many... so i don't know if you may want to soak them first, but that would be something to consider.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

jkilbane is offline Junior Member

I thought almonds were expensive. Anyways, I'm in uni too and I stick to tinned fish of all kinds, eggs, veggies (frozen ones are cheap), fats(coconut oil, cream, butter, ghee) and cheese. I by grass-fed ground beef for 4.99/lb whenever I can. If you have a crock-pot or slow cooker, you can get those huge pot (chuck) roasts for a bargain price usually. I guess the less variety you need, the cheaper it is. I don't get bored with the same great food all the time.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Nuts are expensive and high in the wrong omega fats.

If there is a discount grocer around, you will find canned salmon for maybe a buck and a half. LOTS of good protein and omega 3's on the cheap. Those large cans of sardines are inexpensive, too. Just make sure you don't get them in oil unless it's olive oil (rare.)

While there, 80/20 ground beef is pretty cheap and we know that the fat is good for you! Let someone else buy the 93/7 stuff.

I often see chicken leg quarters for under $1/lb.

I must say that I've never seen cheap avocados.....except for the ones under a neighbor's tree curbside!

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

OT with your avocado bragging!!!! Jealousy.

I get avocados for like 50 cents SOMETIMES. I get supe happy when they are 4 for $3 or somethig. I just love them too much to sacrifice them.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

GrockinOut,

What kind of lifting program are you on? What are your goals? If you don't mind compromising a little fat gain to maximize strength gains your ideal diet is going to be different than if you want to keep your six new friends around.

C Guest

Are you cooking your vegetables with cream (if you can tolerate diary)?

Creamed leeks

Cauliflower with cream/cheese

Also, I save money by bying what is in season - if you want good tomato now you pay a lot of money (here in the UK).

Rather than making Bechamel sauce with flour I use a little agar agar or gelatin to thicken the cream sauce....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast