Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Coconut Butter vs Coconut Oil... page

Kate_Tower is offline Member

Let's talk about Coconut Butter vs Coconut Oil...

Primal Fuel
    I am new here and I have been on the wagon for almost 2 weeks. I have already noticed a huge difference in how I feel and I have so much more energy. SO, I went to the store to buy some coconut oil and came home with coconut butter by accident. I noticed it when I tasted it and thought, "Holy Crap, this stuff beats my old brand hands down!!!" (Atrisana (new) vs Spectrum (old)). It was then I saw the butter vs oil. I could totally eat the butter easily with a spoon and after a few "tasts" I put it away for the night. But its sweet rich goodness haunts me today.

I googled it and discovered the difference is how they are made, but, primally are they different? Will it do any harm to go with the butter vs the oil. Cause it is so much better....

Thanks in advance.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Has some carbs, and has less MCT per unit than oil. Also more expensive and less flexible in how it can be used. That said, I use it in my coffee at times and when making cocoa crack, but it's oil for everything else.

bionicthinker is offline Junior Member
    I am having a hard time finding coconut oil or butter. Does anyone know which store sells them?

Kate_Tower is offline Member
    I bought the spectrum coconut oil at my regular grocery store around 9$ I got the Artisana at Whole Foods store for around 11$

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Pretty sure you should be able to find both cheaper in Amazon.com but Whole Foods also has Nutiva coconut butter. The workers at mine thought they were the same thing.

Personally, I don't like the butter, but in general I prefer a coconut 'hint' over a coconut taste. I can now eat coconut oil straight up, but I don't really love it. I add it to tea, I find I don't really taste it that way and that's what I prefer.

When it comes to cooking I prefer to use Spectrum refined coconut oil. Some here say, probably correctly (haven't bothered to check myself) that refined coconut oil is a waste of time, as nutritionally it's inferior to extra virgin. That's fine by me though, as it's still better (ie: not toxin/harmful) than other oil sources such as soybean, canola, corn, etc so when it comes to cooking I still think I'm doing myself a service by choosing coconut oil. The refined doesn't have a coconut taste, and thus none is found on the foods you cook it in, and I largely prefer that. For all other purposes, such as eating out of the jar or adding it to liquids, I always go with extra virgin.

Refined coconut oil also allows me to cook for my family without hearing complaints. Coconuts are almost totally foreign to Peruvians, especially in our cuisine, so it's really a toss-up whether you'll like the taste or not. Nobody in my house likes it, only my sister and I can tolerate it a bit.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 01-24-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Clabbergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    When it comes to cooking I prefer to use Spectrum refined coconut oil. Some here say, probably correctly (haven't bothered to check myself) that refined coconut oil is a waste of time, as nutritionally it's inferior to extra virgin. That's fine by me though, as it's still better (ie: not toxin/harmful) than other oil sources such as soybean, canola, corn, etc so when it comes to cooking I still think I'm doing myself a service by choosing coconut oil. The refined doesn't have a coconut taste, and thus none is found on the foods you cook it in, and I largely prefer that. For all other purposes, such as eating out of the jar or adding it to liquids, I always go with extra virgin.

Refined coconut oil also allows me to cook for my family without hearing complaints. Coconuts are almost totally foreign to Peruvians, especially in our cuisine, so it's really a toss-up whether you'll like the taste or not. Nobody in my house likes it, only my sister and I can tolerate it a bit.
    Agreed!

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Coconut butter, like any other nut butter, is just ground coconut meat. It tastes better because it is a whole food, not just extracted fat. If anything, it is more primal than coconut oil. Just don't try cooking with it, don't let the word "butter" confuse you.
    When I first bought some my dad laughed when I ate a spoonful and asked me "is that how you get what you need?". I asked, "would you ask me that if I ate a spoonful of peanut butter?" The word butter threw him off in a different context, which I guess is understandable.

DebraL is offline Junior Member
    I buy my coconut oil at Trader Joe's. I'll have to try the coconut butter, it sounds yummy. You know, it took me a while to find coconut flour locally (so I didn't have to pay for shipping). I FINALLY found it last night at a store called "Sprouts." $3.39 a lb.

Will it do any harm to go with the butter vs the oil.
    I just listened to a podcast all about coconut oil and they discussed coconut butter and coconut flour, too. It was super informative. The podcast is by Underground Wellness (at Itunes) and the show was called "The Coconut Oil Miracle." It originally aired on 4/29/11. It was really interesting... you might find your answer there.
    Last edited by DebraL; 01-24-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Not a waste of time at all. We are eating coconut oil for it's fat, the only thing you lose when going with a refined coconut oil is whatever raw food/enzymes/'life force'/magic/etc.... properties you ascribe to raw coconut oil (claims seem to vary based on source)

The healthy fatty acid composition is unchanged, still loaded with MCTs

Clabbergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post
    Not a waste of time at all. We are eating coconut oil for it's fat, the only thing you lose when going with a refined coconut oil is whatever raw food/enzymes/'life force'/magic/etc.... properties you ascribe to raw coconut oil (claims seem to vary based on source)

The healthy fatty acid composition is unchanged, still loaded with MCTs
    +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast