Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which chocolat bar? page

MvEssen is offline Senior Member

Which chocolat bar?

I like my chocolat from time to time. However I don't like really dark chocolat. Don't think I ever will either, I've been primal for almost 11 months now and I still like to use a small amount of honey in recipes from time to time. Don't think it hurts really. So I've found two type of chocolat bars that I like (as an indulgance, lets say once (one 75g bar) a week, I know they are not perfect). One has far more carbs (and sugar) in it but the way I see it a higher quality ingredients. I would like to know what you think about them and which one is best. Listed below are the ingredients and macro make-up of both.

Cane Sugar, Cacoabutter, full fat milk powder, Cacoa paste, Coffee, coffee extract, vanilla extract.
    57.5g carbs, 6.4g protein, 31.4g fat.

2#
    Cacoa paste, sugar, skimmed milk powder, skimmed cacoa powder, cacoa butter, caramalized cacoa nibs, whey powder, butterfat.
    33g carbs, 9.5g protein, 40g fat.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    What brands are these and what bars are they?

I'd actually go with none of them and search for a better bar.

They are both Dutch brands. The first one is a Dutch chocolate brand named 'Verkade' they use the same quality stuff for there pure chocolate as well, so that would be perfect really, but I like this one ten times more. The second one is a bar from a Dutch supermarket chain named 'Albert Heijn'.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Aw man, you can't take the 3 hours to go to Belgium to buy a bunch of good chocolates? ;P Just kidding haha.

I'd go with the second one, then. Judging by the macronutrients, the first seems to be similar to a 60% and the second around 80%. It has weirder ingredients, but I feel that skim milk powder, whole milk powder and whey is all the same in terms of how it's processed, and considering they add the butterfat back in, the milk products are not that much different in the end. So go with the second one that has overall less sugar.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    They're both horrendous. I wouldn't eat either one. They're both very low in chocolate content, high in sugar content and...milk powder? They're cheap, too.

Ghirardelli 86% is available almost everywhere, it's pretty cheap, the ingredients are alright and it's very good. Not nearly as good as the chocolate I make myself from melted down baking cocoa, stevia and secret ingredients, but it's better than most.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Dark chocolate is a firm base-stone in my primal food pyramid. I have at least a square of it a day, sometimes two. For me, when choosing chocolate bars, I keep three variables in mind:

- 70% or higher cocoa content
    - No soy leichtin
    - The lowest sugar-per-serving-size possible (when comparing between different bars)

I find that Lindt 90% is pretty easy to find and fits all these requirements, but its not my favorite for taste. There's another San Francisco-based brand, Guittard, whose 90% bar is FABULOUS, it has a slight acidity that reminds me of a berry flavor, but all of a sudden its gotten really hard to find.

Also, while I have always liked dark chocolate, rest assured that if you eat enough of it, youll start to prefer it too. many of my primal friends used to hate it, but now they say that its the only thing that tastes like chocolate to them and milk chocolate tastes waxy and sugary and gross.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Thnx for your responces.

As I said. It's not that there is no good quality dark chocolate available. I just don't like it. Regardless of how many bars I already munched away when I was stricter with myself.

Though maybe your message is correct I find your choice of words amusing, Choco. For if I remember correct it's less than two months ago you'd go out for a huge sundea to start your carb up with. I see the sudden change to all this strictness (I read it in more of your responces) comes from the 30 day challange you started yourself. Good luck with that .

The last bar actually falls perfectly in line with the three things you mentioned, Corvidae. And it is nearly the lowest in the supermarket (yes, I could go to a heath food store and there would be more options) except for one with 29g carbs which tastes nasty.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MvEssen View Post

The last bar actually falls perfectly in line with the three things you mentioned, Corvidae. And it is nearly the lowest in the supermarket (yes, I could go to a heath food store and there would be more options) except for one with 29g carbs which tastes nasty.
    Then go for it! Remember dont let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If it has some cheaper ingredients but is more affordable, then thats a perfectly acceptable tradeoff. The only reason I avoid bars with soy leichtin in them is because I have noticed that it makes me sick. But whey and milk products dont make me sick so i dont worry about them. Some people might be different.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

I've done plenty of self experimentation by now and notice no ill effects with anything except for vegetable oils, grains and big amounts of sugar.

I figured with some googling that there might be a small miscommunication. The cane sugar listed in the first bar is probably what you call raw sugar. I have a bag of what translates to cane sugar in my pantry and it states raw. Since it's Fair Trade brand and Verkade uses Fair Trade as well I'm pretty sure that this is raw as well. This is also my standpoint to why I was not sure which is best (or less worst if you would). The first bar has more sugar but it's raw cane sugar as opposed to white sugar.

spinningtales is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Seriously, if you are going to splurge, eat a very small amount of whichever you like better.

For me personally, I would look for Fair Trade, less processed, whole food ingredients and highest cocoa content that I find palatable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast