Thread: Salt for Carb Flu? page

Savannah is offline Member

Salt for Carb Flu?

Primal Fuel
    I've been reading really great book (The Art and Science of Low Carb Living by Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek ) and in one of the chapters addresses common concerns about low cab diets. One of those is "feeling faint, lightheaded, and under-the-weather." This is the response

I am very liberal with my salt, and never experienced carb flu-- totally anecdotal, I know, but for people just starting out who are having a rough time adjusting, upping the salt intake seems like it could be helpful.

Also, The Art and Science of Low Carb Living isn't primal/paleo per se, but I'm fricken' loving it-- it's written for nutrition professionals as much as regular people, so if you like your books science-y I'd definitely recommend it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Savannah; 01-24-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Yes! I always treated carb flu with 1-2 cups of bouillon per day. A lot of symptoms attributed to carb flu are actually due to an electrolyte imbalance. This lifestyle causes the body to flush a lot of fluids in the first few weeks. It really works. Try it people!

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I used a little salt here and there, to transition. It helped With the icky symptoms.

I had pains in my right thigh for some reason. Salt and potassium helped a lot, almost immediately.