Thread: How to exercise on bad knee page

periquin is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I have one bad knee. The other is worse. Structural damage. I was told that I am a serious candidate for knee replacements, but they did nothing for my father nor for an uncle who developed sepsis in the hospital following the surgery. He died before he was able to make use of his new knee. I don't want to waste my time with the surgery. I used to walk, hike, run, climb... Now I barely walk through a mall. What recommendations have you for my condition.

Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

shepherd is offline Junior Member

What helped me rehab a bad knee injury was getting to the water - water running (using one of those water jogging belts) and swimming are great zero-impact exercises when you have knee problems. Do what you can to strengthen the tendons and muscles around your knee - have they told you to see a physical therapist yet?

In your face, Space Coyote!

misathemeb is offline Member

shadow boxing with weights in a chair squat position or static lunges. also second the swimming! OR arm bike at the gym

periquin is offline Senior Member

Thanks for replies.

My upper body is fine, if you allow that too much weight in the midsection is fine. I am strong there. Problem is that legs are weak and painful. Water would be great. When in Calif. SCUBA was great exercise. Sadly, no water much larger than my tub is nearby. Been with physical therapists but no wonderful results. I try tai chi without dipping too low, but that isn't the most wonderful thing. I tried cycling. Not too bad, but can get to be painful sometimes before I feel that I had a workout.

Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Ditto the above suggestions for exercising in water. Also, have you tried walking? Not power walking, just lots of walking at a comfortable pace on even ground.

If you can strengthen your quads and hamstrings, that'll help to stabilize your knee joint and (hopefully) reduce knee pain. I've got knee cartilage issues that stay completely quiet as long as I keep walking. Oh, and losing weight made a HUGE difference in my knee pain, even without exercising.