Thread: Wheat binge and unpleasant results page

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member

Wheat binge and unpleasant results

Frustrated by a 3 day headache, a stall in the weight loss, and a desire to eat everything in sight, I had a serious wheat binge last night. It was my first grain in 3 weeks.

By binge, I mean almost an entire box of Papa Johns breadsticks - processed sauces and all - and 2 slices of pizza.

The results weren't pretty.

About an hour after eating, I experienced:
    • lethargy
    • really really bad gas
    • desire to eat again
    • bloating
    • extreme thirst

I woke up extremely hungry, 2 pounds heavier, and with a (probably unrelated) major sore throat.

Interestingly enough, the gas was the biggest hint that I may be wheat sensitive. I used to have really bad gas all the time (much to Hubby's chagrin). Immediately after going primal, the gas stopped. It was amazing. But it came back full force after my wheat binge. Not a scientific experiment, but certainly suggestive.

I probably had to do that wheat binge as an experiment to myself. I've had enough bad side effects on primal (headaches, skin breakouts, weight loss stall) that I needed to "make sure" it was actually the right lifestyle for me.

I may never give up grains totally. Wedding cake, July corn on the cob, and the occasional sushi roll will probably always be on my menu. But this little wheat binge has certainly taught me one thing: overdoing it only leads to... a smelly butt.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

dado Guest
    what do you want me to tell you?

keep it moving.

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    what do you want me to tell you?

keep it moving.
    Not a damn thing.

But as someone new to primal, this was an enlightening experience. I can read a ton about wheat sensitivity and grains and such, but it's not until I did a full-on experiment on myself that I fully believed.

First hand experience always trumps merely researching a topic, at least for me.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
    Not a damn thing.

But as someone new to primal, this was an enlightening experience. I can read a ton about wheat sensitivity and grains and such, but it's not until I did a full-on experiment on myself that I fully believed.

First hand experience always trumps merely researching a topic, at least for me.
    +1

Kate_Tower is offline Member
    +500

Dig62 is offline Member
    I did something similar and had the worst heartburn of my life, accompanied by GERD which I'd never had before. My throat burned for days from all the acid that bread churned up. I actually consider that binge to be one of the most helpful things I could have done at the time, as it showed me just how much wheat really does disagree with me. What bothered me most is how my body had apparently gotten used to it over my lifetime. A short-term binge like that can be quite eye-opening and helpful.

BiggaWhat is offline Member
    Had a similar experience this past weekend, although I already knew what my reaction would be, but I did it anyway lol. Was hanging out with friends and decided to indulge in some pizza and ice cream. My bathroom did not thank me the next day, thats for sure. Rich, decadent ice cream will always be on my menu (within reason, of course). They'll have to pry that spoon out of my cold, dead hands

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Honestly, in my case it was much easier back when I first started and gluten would thoroughly kick my ass. As my gut healed, I got less and less intolerant of it. Not a good thing, because it eventually sneaks up on you and gets you anyway.

Now I have to avoid gluten because it's bad for me and slowly makes me sick, not because it makes me feel like crap within the hour. Much more difficult.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com