Thread: Question about fitness with injury page

AKC
    AKC is offline Junior Member

Question about fitness with injury

Shop Now
    Hi, im new here to the primal forum, but I have been more or less primal for about 4 months now. I have a shoulder injury that limits many of my upper body exercises. I have been through physical therapy unsuccessfully and I am pretty sure it will require surgery to fix. It is not financially possible for me to have this kind of procedure so I was looking for some tips on how to be fit and healthy while working around a bad shoulder. Thanks.

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Could you elaborate more on what your limits are, e.g. ROM, weight, movements (can you push up, but not overhead press maybe). Then you can get more specific advice.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

AKC
    I really cant do pushups or pull ups anymore. A few on my knees are tolerable, but pull ups would lay me out. Nothing above the head is really very possible either. By the way, this injury occurred about 80 days in P90X...haha and that was about 3 years ago now.

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Without knowing anything about the injury, I guess (in terms of body weight work) you're really limited to something like high rep wall push ups and vertical pulls. Maybe you could slowly work towards higher reps on knee push ups, but if its not something that will get better without surgury then you might have to work on isolation machines for the muscles you can work on.

If you can find exercises you can do then go hard and try to put on muscle, not to get super big or anything like that, its just higher levels of lean mass correlate with lots of good health markers.

You could look into squats, heavy or high rep, or both as a way to add mass. You may have to use a leg press or hip belt, whatever you can handle. Work hard and you should see health benefits of extra mucsle and strength.

If you can, you should sprint once a week (or ever 10 days at least), if that upsets the shoulder, sprints on a bike will work well too.

Hope that helps.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Blah is right - we really need a little more specific info here. But deadlifts, squats and sprints would be my initial recommendation. Not being able to do anything overhead is a serious injury though and it would be better to focus on fixing that first.

AKC
    Thanks for the responses. Sorry about the ambiguity, but I havent had an MRI, and I really cant give you much more detail on the injury other than somewhat debilitating pain.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I would focus on working your lower body. If you can't hold a bar for a deadlift etc look at a body-weight squat progression, sprinting, walking etc. Not idea when you want to be lifting but something is better than nothing.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

UK Guy is offline Senior Member
    AKC,
    Can you still do work for your upper body in the vertical plane....even though you cannot lift your arms overhead. If this is so and you still have your dumbbells from P90X ( They use them in that program don't they?..from what I've seen of the infomercials ). Then you could do dumbbell floor presses, and one arm rows and dumbbell shrugs and curls for upper body, and one legged squats for lower body. Just concentrate on good form, controlled rep speed and if it hurts...stop and don't do it again. The walking and sprints would be good too if you can do them. The floor presses would be like a reduced range of motion dumbbell bench press. You could use slower rep speed which would reduce the weight needed further, if that was a issue.