Thread: Alternative to pull ups? page

ar0e is offline Member

Alternative to pull ups?

Shop Now
    Is there an alternative to pull ups that I can do on the floor? I have an over the door pull up bar, but it is really awkward because my doorways are short and I'm tall and I have to do the modified version where you use a chair and just let yourself slowly drop down. It's hard to maneuver the chair and bending my knees so I don't just touch the floor right away.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    All About Australian Pullups - YouTube

You can do them underneath a table - but make sure that the table won't tip over.

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    Australian pull ups use different muscles than a regular overhand pull up, The Lats in particular dont get enough attention, its almost all bicep and rear delts. A good pull up should hit the lats. Try doing negatives, Jump up to the chin over bar position and try to lower yourself as slowly as possible.

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    I like body rows. If you can hang a ring or a rope from your pullup bar, you can do body rows off of it. These are good for fixing postural problems and etc (rounding your shoulders). They work similar muscle groups, although it will of course be a little different due to the different angle.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I do negatives,where I jump up, then lower myself slowly. I can only do 3 in a row atm, but hopefully I can do 5 soon!

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikJ View Post
    Australian pull ups use different muscles than a regular overhand pull up, The Lats in particular dont get enough attention, its almost all bicep and rear delts. A good pull up should hit the lats. Try doing negatives, Jump up to the chin over bar position and try to lower yourself as slowly as possible.
    You can also make the Australian pull-ups harder for the lats by moving your hands further apart, and harder in general by elevating the feet (for example on a chair, if you're doing the pull-ups underneath a table).
    Last edited by MikeEnRegalia; 01-25-2012 at 07:11 AM.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    When I do Australians, I also do a static hold for quite a while when I am nearing exhaustion. It seems to work my back well.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    I was doing pullups (well, assisted pullups b/c I'm not strong enough to even do negatives yet) at the playground at the local elementary school until it got cold. Now, I'm doing the "5 essential primal movements" indoors, but I don't have a pullup bar yet.

I've subbed in doing bent rows. I use a KB or dumbbell and started with a weight that I could do about 20 of them on each side. The plan is that when I get up to 30 on each side regularly, I would "level up" like you do with the levels of an actual pullup, just that I would level up to a heavier weight, ideally one where I could do about 20 on each side and then work my way up on that weight -- repeat ad nauseum.

Is this a suitable replacement during the winter months? In some ways, I feel like I'm really working the muscles associated with a pullup a LOT more than I was with the silly "two leg assisted" and "one leg assisted" stuff.

My plan is to get back out to the school playground as soon as it's warm enough -- hopefully early March and maybe by then I will just be able to DO negatives and work from there.

Neely is offline Member
    ~Any other ideas for alternative to pull-ups? I don't have a bar or place to fit one. I have some free dumbbells, any exercise I could do with those to replace the pull-up? I want to start the 'life heavy things' suggestion tomorrow.

Thanks.