Thread: Habenero Sauerkraut!!!! page

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member

Habenero Sauerkraut!!!!

Primal Fuel
    Two heads of cabbage, two tablespoons of salt, smash it down and give it some time and you get some hot sauerkraut!

I know it sounds like it will be too hot but I tried it with jalapenos and it was not hot at all. I think the fermentation affects the capsaiacin so I went out and found the hottest pepper I could find. It is not all that bad and tastes really good as the habenero has somewhat of a fruity flavor to it. Heat really isn't any worse than tobasco sauce in all reality.

I have been starting to make the stuff at home and I like some spice in the food and I can't wait to fry up some sausage for a lunch.

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Almost Kimchee! That would be YUMMY (although my favorite way to eat Kimchee is ice cold with steamey hot rice) Would still be good with shredded pork or something!
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Heat really isn't any worse than tobasco sauce in all reality.
    Then you need more habs! I made some fermented sriracha sauce with a pound of red habs, not quite as hot as at the beginning of the process but pretty damn hot. Mellowed the heat and increased the flavor.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin17 View Post
    Two heads of cabbage, two tablespoons of salt, smash it down and give it some time and you get some hot sauerkraut!

I know it sounds like it will be too hot but I tried it with jalapenos and it was not hot at all. I think the fermentation affects the capsaiacin so I went out and found the hottest pepper I could find. It is not all that bad and tastes really good as the habenero has somewhat of a fruity flavor to it. Heat really isn't any worse than tobasco sauce in all reality.

I have been starting to make the stuff at home and I like some spice in the food and I can't wait to fry up some sausage for a lunch.
    Sounds good, I've got some kraut brewing at the moment.
    How many peppers did you add?..
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

10 of them, minced the hell out of them seeds and all. Have some garlic sausage fried up and going to have it for lunch tomorrow at the office. Unfortunate coworkers don't even know what is coming!

GoozerGrok is offline Junior Member
    Lol!!

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    I laughed about your poor co-workers....let us know how they take it.
    I haven't made sauerkraut yet but your spicier version sounds pretty dang good. My son would like it too. I might show him this idea and get him to make it.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    sounds good. When i eat sauerkraut n sausage, i put habenero sauce on it. I think the fruity flavor goes well with it all.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In simple words......IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

Eat this with some sausage and you have something special if you like hot food. Not too spicy to eat and I want to try some with a ghost chili to see if I can hack it.