Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We all have orthorexia page

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member

We all have orthorexia

Guess we should just admit our "problem" and get help.

m.guardian.co.uk

While we're at it, we should get help for our other disorders, such as having standards for partners in our relationships, and keeping our homes clean.

Ayla is offline Senior Member
    To me, orthorexia is a real and dangerous condition to have, but it is based on FEAR. Being afraid to eat certain things, being afraid to microwave plastic containers or drink from aluminum cans, being afraid of conventionally grown vegetables, etc. If you live in constant fear of doing something wrong, you have orthorexia. If you strive to make the healthiest choices and behave in ways you are convinced are healthy without being terrified to LIVE, then I don't think you have a problem.
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    As someone who has had orthorexia, allow me to assure you, primal =/ orthorexia, because primal =/ perpetually refusing to socialize with people for fear/guilt of committing a dietary sin for fear of gaining weight, hence perpetuating depression and self-loathing.

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    As someone who has had orthorexia, allow me to assure you, primal =/ orthorexia, because primal =/ perpetually refusing to socialize with people for fear/guilt of committing a dietary sin for fear of gaining weight, hence perpetuating depression and self-loathing.
    I'm not trying to be a goof here, but what does "=/" mean? Are you saying that being primal is similar to an eating disorder?

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    "Doesn't equal"; it's supposed to be "≠" but "!=" would work too.

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DubleYoo View Post
    "Doesn't equal"; it's supposed to be "≠" but "!=" would work too.
    Got it Thanks!

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    That article was ridiculous. I view the definition of orthorexia in the same vein as obsessive/compulsive disorders. That is not anywhere close to attempting to eat healthy, stay primal.

But I do see people here posting about how being primal is interfering with their relationships. And I wonder how rigid they are, or perhaps their spouse, friends, relatives are the ones being inflexible.

No one pays any attention to how I eat, because I do not make it an issue. I cook primal food at home, the best I can, and my husband is happy. When I go out, or to friends or family gatherings, I do the best I can. I try to be involved to make sure I'm bring stuff I can eat if I'm worried.

I do think people following this lifestyle CAN make a big deal out of this and make people who are unenlightened uncomfortable... refusing food and hurting peoples feelings... coming across as zealots..etc. Which open oneself to questions of orthorexia.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    In a lot of the threads I see these days, it kind of does =.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

sjmc is offline Senior Member

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    To me, orthorexia is a real and dangerous condition to have, but it is based on FEAR. Being afraid to eat certain things, being afraid to microwave plastic containers or drink from aluminum cans, being afraid of conventionally grown vegetables, etc. If you live in constant fear of doing something wrong, you have orthorexia. If you strive to make the healthiest choices and behave in ways you are convinced are healthy without being terrified to LIVE, then I don't think you have a problem.
    Very well put Ayla!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast