Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tummy Trouble page

GrokON is offline Senior Member

Tummy Trouble

Shop Now
    What does everyone here use to balance their tummy if it's feeling unwell for a prolonged period of time?

Probiotics? Manuka Honey? Alkaline foods? Ginger tea?

I have an inflamed stomach for the last few days. It's bearable but not happy. It just feels sore, and a bit "hot" inside if that makes sense. Cool water feels good when I drink. The discomfort is under the rib cage, a little left of center, and there's a bit of a tweak in the left shoulder as well.

I know I can go to the doctor, but they're likely going to try to unbalance me with antibiotics so it is my last resort. What should I do to try to soothe this at home first, before going in?

ETA: I wa thinking it could also be pancreas, as it's worse when lying down. But the shoulder tweak is in the front, not back, and the discomfort is "dull, swollen, hot" and I can feel it in the front when I press... It's not "central, boring to the back, debilitating". So unless it's still likely pancreas, I'm going to assume it's stomach.
    Last edited by GrokON; 01-23-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: More Info Added.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    When I'm really in trouble tummy wise I stop consuming everything except mineral water.

I guess I could drink a bone broth but seems like everytime I get tummy troubles, I seem to be out lol.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Herbal teas... ginger, mint, and chamomile are good, a well spiced chai tea (with coconut milk, not cow milk) is good, and light stocks (referred to around here as "bone broth") ... light as in chicken, turkey, pork maybe rather than brown stocks of beef and whatnot.

Hope the tummy is better soon.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    You could also try some club soda if you want something fizzy.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Does that not sound like a possible heart attack? I'm the last person to suggest a doctor, but your symptoms sound a little scary to me.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I'd see a doctor, to rule out anything big. You can always just decline antibiotics if it is an infection.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I'd see a doctor, to rule out anything big. You can always just decline antibiotics if it is an infection.
    Even then the antibiotics might be needed anyway. I had a stubborn UTI and antibiotics was the only thing that cleared it up. I don't like taking them, but sometimes they are necessary.

nuerss is offline Junior Member
    light as in chicken, turkey, pork maybe rather than brown stocks of beef and whatnot.

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Nah, not a heart attack. It's very much stomach/gallbladder/pancreas related. I'm just not sure which one, because the symptoms are all similar. But it's below the rib cage - like, diaphragm level - not up in the chest. The shoulder twinge is something I've had my whole life after eating too much (non primal) and my dad has it too... I used to think nothing of it, like it was just a nerve or something that pinched when I was full, but now I am wondering if maybe it's been pancreas or something all along. It acted up as part of the inflammation even though I've been completely primal.

This morning was really good. I had a chamomile tea last night, and felt okay going to bed. I woke up with sore muscles in the area (been poking and prodding all day yesterday trying to decide if I might have something really scary and worth going into the doctor for) but the inflammation seems to have subsided. For brunch I had a big salad, heavy on the veggies and light on the fatty stuff, with chicken breast as the meat. I seem to be handling it well.

I'm definitely going to monitor the symptoms, and try and determine what triggers the inflammation. I would have said it was grains or starches, but I was starch free all week, and I haven't touched grains in well over a month. I was completely clean primal the day it started. So I dunno. If anyone has ideas, I'm happy to hear them.

I'm hoping it has nothing to do with fat. I mean, I can't eat carbs. If I can't eat fat, what the hell am I supposed to eat?! :-/
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

lazatiger is offline Member
    Do you eat coconut? I discovered that coconut and sometimes eggs were causing me tummy issues. They both have lectins in them.

I ate good all day on Saturday, but I ate a ton of eggs and had some coconut on the side. I was feeling pretty sore all day. Dairy causes me problems as well. I know it's not purely paleo, but a lot of people here like to have it.

When my tummy is sore, and if I have to eat, I eat cooked veggies. I find raw veggies are harsh on the digestive system, especially stuff like broccoli and cabbage. I don't drink tea or have honey; I find stuff like that never helps. I also stick to filtered water. If it's not filtered, I find it worsens everything.

I know how you feel. I hope you feel better soon :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast