Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My car was totaled...couple of questions page

raptoryell is offline Senior Member

My car was totaled...couple of questions

Shop Now
    Since my car is totaled, my personal auto insurance policy is canceled since they don't cover a vehicle that is totaled.
    To get coverage on the rental I only signed up for the damage waiver $13/day.
    Since the other driver is accepting 100% fault, can I get them to pay for this fee?

(Texas) I sent them paperwork to handle the personal injury side of things. They told me they have up to 30 days to look at the information and give a settlement. If they have to request some other information (no matter what it is), the 30 day clock resets. Is that legal?
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    is your car VLC?

I'm sorry, what is VLC?
    Primal (2013)

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    is your car VLC?
    probably not, buts its surely leptin resistant
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raptoryell View Post
    Since my car is totaled, my personal auto insurance policy is canceled since they don't cover a vehicle that is totaled.
    To get coverage on the rental I only signed up for the damage waiver $13/day.
    Since the other driver is accepting 100% fault, can I get them to pay for this fee?

(Texas) I sent them paperwork to handle the personal injury side of things. They told me they have up to 30 days to look at the information and give a settlement. If they have to request some other information (no matter what it is), the 30 day clock resets. Is that legal?
    (Just a side note, people here get pretty snarky when the conversation has nothingto do with the primal life.)
    You might be able to get the damage waiver, but I wouldn't count on it. As to the 30 day clock, that seems about right, especially since the state's involved. That's my best guess. I'd ask an actual lawyer or attorney, though, because I don't even play one on tv.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Eat more fat.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    JMO~ but I think you need professional advice (lawyer)~ I think they're trying to give you the *bums rush*

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    If the other driver is accepting fault, then there should be no out-of-pocket expense on your part. However, once they notify you of the car being totalled, then they will no longer cover the car for rental after they give you the check for the totalled car.

As far as injuries, they will typically pay you 3 x medical expenses. Therefore, if you had $1000 in medical, you will get a settlement offer of $3000. You do not have to accept a settlement, but you will have to argue as to why it should be more. If you sustained simple sprain/strains and whiplash, then you will likely not have much to stand on. If you are claiming that you have herniated discs, brain injury, depression, anxiety and that your whole life has been impacted by this accident, then they will have your entire file reviewed by a physician called a peer review. They may even ask that you be examined by the doctor to see if you are really as injured as you claim to be.

Also, if you get an attorney, you will simply be sharing about 30-40% of what you would get anyway with the attorney.
    Last edited by john_e_turner_ii; 01-23-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Interesting stuff...
    yeah, they tried to stiff me with the rental after just telling me over the phone about the total loss. I told them it was unreasonable for me to pay for the rental since I don't even have a check for this settlement. This claim needs to be closed before I give up the rental. Their customer took my only form of transportation.

On the injuries..the ER doc and my primary doc told me I have a mild concussion which has caused me to have migraine-like headaches twice a day since 12/16/11 with ringing in my ears. My primary doc even put me on some pretty bad (side effect wise) stuff. I'm gonna see a chiropractor on Wednesday -- if they want more bills to show injuries, then that's fine with me. My lower back and neck ache like no tomorrow.

I probably wont go for the attorney after all.....but I don't consider this settled and done until I have my total car fee and my other fees paid back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    If the other driver is accepting fault, then there should be no out-of-pocket expense on your part. However, once they notify you of the car being totalled, then they will no longer cover the car for rental after they give you the check for the totalled car.

As far as injuries, they will typically pay you 3 x medical expenses. Therefore, if you had $1000 in medical, you will get a settlement offer of $3000. You do not have to accept a settlement, but you will have to argue as to why it should be more. If you sustained simple sprain/strains and whiplash, then you will likely not have much to stand on. If you are claiming that you have herniated discs, brain injury, depression, anxiety and that your whole life has been impacted by this accident, then they will have your entire file reviewed by a physician called a peer review. They may even ask that you be examined by the doctor to see if you are really as injured as you claim to be.

Also, if you get an attorney, you will simply be sharing about 30-40% of what you would get anyway with the attorney.
    Primal (2013)

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    Did you ask Gary?
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast