Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diverticulosis page

skaraminas is offline Junior Member

Diverticulosis

Hello all,

I'm taking a Nutrition class at school (I study Physical and Health Education), and I'm sure that you can all imagine how frustrating it is to sit through a class where I am completely biased to what the class is trying to teach me. Today however, we covered the very famous topic of fiber, and my professor covered a disease called diverticulosis.

I have never heard of this disease before, but here is the gist of it: it is a disease that affects your colon, where there are these small pouches that get inflamed and stick out of your colon. This is a very discomforting disease that can require surgery.

My professor is an RD and she described one of her experiences with a client that had this problem. The first thing she did was ask this man about his daily meals, and what she described was basically Paleo. And she went on to explain that this was very common for someone who eat very high protein and low carbs (and specifically carbs that come solely from fruits + veggies).

So I was wondering if anyone had heard of this in the Paleo population? I find it unbelievable that this is even possible, because I know how my body feels when I'm on vs when I'm off grains. Any takers?

Thanks

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    My partner had this and he is a big CW eater - lots of carbs from breads, pasta etc. He had an acute attack with blood in the stool, which was how we discovered he had it. For a couple of years he took psyllium husks to keep it at bay but since I have convinced him to CUT carbs and eat more towards my way - he is still much higher in carbs than me, I go under 50 and he would be about 200 - his symptoms (pain & bloating) have diminished. SO this is the direct opposite to what CW states.

I say don't go looking for trouble, it'll find you if it's after you. Diverticulosis is one of the 'modern diseases' that have become prominent in the last 50 years as modern CW has dominated. I bet Grok didn't suffer from it!
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I have diverticular disease, and my symptoms have all but disappeared since going Primal - I only ever get a flare-up these days if I eat in a more CW way (for whatever reason!). And yes, it's the opposite of what most doctors will tell you, but Primal is the way to go!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    The 'pouches' that can become infected ( diverticulosis) are very common over age 50. I've had 5 colonoscopies, and all of them note the presence of 'diverticulosis' in my colon. I've never had the disease itself (i.e., infected pockets), and I eat low carb/primal and have done so for years.

When people DO get the disease (infection), they're cautioned against 'seeds' and 'nuts' --things that can get 'caught' in those pouches and incite infection.

Your teacher doesn't seem to have a clue--but that is so very common in nutrition classes. Most RDs only parrot what's in the textbook--and when they speak from their own 'knowledge' are often woefully ignorant.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Here's everything you wanted to know about it in detail: Gutsense.org: Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

skaraminas is offline Junior Member
    See, what all of you are saying is making more sense to me that what I'm hearing in class. It's honestly so frustrating to have such a strong opinion and yet not be able to do anything about it to make people understand the logic. After class I went to see my prof to get some more details, and even talked to her a bit about Paleo, which she had no clue about - and she calls herself a dietician no less...she should at least have the decency to know the various things that people are doing. I wanted to pick her brain a bit on the whole topic and what she thought of my take of "grains being the devil" and she was very open to me having different opinions, but her and the associate professor immediately questioned me on not having looked at reliable sources. She kept saying how grains are amazing soluble fibers and how they help lower cholesterol in your blood.

So now here is what bugs me....the stuff they teach can't obviously be false, therefore it's proven scientifically that the fiber in grains is good for you, but at the same time I can't help but want to fight for Paleo, and it frustrates me because I'm not knowledgeable enough on how to start debating with someone on the topic. I just know I believe it, but that's obviously not a good argument. Would anyone care to help me out a bit? I've read some of Mark's guides (including the grain one), and I take his word for it, but others won't. Any links to published studies and stuff like that would be great.

Thanks

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    "...logically concentrate on reducing stool size and preventing straining — the essence of my recommendations, — instead of attaining stools at least once every three days. Those who have small stools and never strain to move their bowels never develop diverticular disease, regardless of their age or gender."

THIS is what a lot of people don't do or think there is something wrong when not having a bowel movement for a couple days. The quality is what's important, not the quantity.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    HillsideGina is right - Gutsense is a great website for information about fiber.

My brother has diverticulitis and I can tell you, he was definitely not eating high protein/low carb. Now, he eats more meat than he did before and I haven't heard about him having any flare-ups. I'm not sure what his fiber intake is though.

I have stopped eating foods that are high in fiber and it has done me a world of good. I used to get pain after dinner every night, and now I don't. I even ended up in the ER with a torn colon about 4 or 5 months ago (trust me, that is something you never want to experience), and the doctor's advice was... eat more fiber. I equate it to having a log jam in a canyon river, and just throwing more logs downstream to fix it. Sure, you'll get the logs moving eventually, but you're going to have a lot of collaterol damage along the way.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skaraminas View Post
    See, what all of you are saying is making more sense to me that what I'm hearing in class. It's honestly so frustrating to have such a strong opinion and yet not be able to do anything about it to make people understand the logic. After class I went to see my prof to get some more details, and even talked to her a bit about Paleo, which she had no clue about - and she calls herself a dietician no less...she should at least have the decency to know the various things that people are doing. I wanted to pick her brain a bit on the whole topic and what she thought of my take of "grains being the devil" and she was very open to me having different opinions, but her and the associate professor immediately questioned me on not having looked at reliable sources. She kept saying how grains are amazing soluble fibers and how they help lower cholesterol in your blood.

So now here is what bugs me....the stuff they teach can't obviously be false, therefore it's proven scientifically that the fiber in grains is good for you, but at the same time I can't help but want to fight for Paleo, and it frustrates me because I'm not knowledgeable enough on how to start debating with someone on the topic. I just know I believe it, but that's obviously not a good argument. Would anyone care to help me out a bit? I've read some of Mark's guides (including the grain one), and I take his word for it, but others won't. Any links to published studies and stuff like that would be great.

Thanks
    Grains are not soluble, they are insoluble, that's why they come out your backside with all bells and whistles attached.
    It is this insoluble stuff that irritates the colon. Grains lower cholesterol because they have toxins that inhibit the production of enzymes, hormones, bile, etc...therefor the cholesterol production is less but so is HDL =P
    Also, this insoluble fiber is the main culprit of type 1 diabetes in babies, when they are being weaned off mothers milk and start solid foods. Within 3 months or so the kids are diagnosed with type 1 'genetic' diabetes.
    The gallbladder does not empty its biles on insoluble fibers, stones get formed when bile sits too long and isn't frequently emptied with the presence of saturated fats.
    Good fibers are soluble fibers coming from starchy things, not twigs and branches like broccoli or bran muffins. Every person with an ileostomy or colostomy bag will agree with me...insoluble fibers are a killer!!!
    The only thing that does not appear in an ileostomy bag after a meal is meat and fat...

Talk to people that had their colons removed after being given false advise year after year, you will hear totally different stories.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by skaraminas View Post
    ....the stuff they teach can't obviously be false
    Oh yes it can, and a lot of it is absolutely false. Read Gary Taubes, Watch Fathead: The Movie, and other primal bloggers and authors. A lot of this CW - Conventional Wisdom, is flat-out false. That's lesson number one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast