Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heartburn/Acid reflux anyone? page

theffler is offline Junior Member

Heartburn/Acid reflux anyone?

Primal Fuel
    I have recently started getting some acid reflux symptoms. I never got it as a vegetarian, but in the last two weeks of primal, I have started having symptoms. Any idea of why and what to do about it? I already take digestive enzymes with every meal. I am also on omega supplements and a high quality probiotic. Don't want to need the Tums.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Not anymore after primal. What are you eating?

Classic is offline Senior Member
    I started having acid reflux and heartburn after being primal for awhile when I started taking coconut oil before each meal to help get more fat in my diet. When I stopped taking supplemental spoons full of CO I was fine.
    I have read on other threads that if you have been vegetarian for a long time the addition of animal products, especially saturated fat, may take your body awhile to build up the enzymes needed for digestion. Hang in there.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Also, completely giving up grain is a good idea.

I don't eat any grains at all. I am trying to lose weight so I stay pretty low carb right now. my typical day's food is as follows:

Tea with coconut milk creamer and pinch of stevia first thing in morning
    Breakfast - 3 eggs with small amount of butter
    Lunch - chicken veggie soup, home made or chicken salad w/mayo and large salad w/home made balsamic dressing
    dinner - steak and salad or chicken breast and salad w/bacon in it.

If I eat fruit, it is one piece in mid afternoon; I love love love fruit, but, like I said, trying to lose weight right now. I tend to get the acid reflux in evening, after dinner, and worse if I lay down. I had chicken breast with skin and a large salad with bacon and hard boiled egg last night for dinner. about 2 hours after dinner, laid down on couch and it started.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure you need the digestive enzyme?

Did you eat coconut milk before?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I definitely need the digestive enzymes. About 7 years ago, my entire large intestines were removed. The digestive enzymes help my body digest the fats and proteins more efficiently. Food runs through me rather quickly, I must say.

I have used the coconut milk for almost a year now. I only use a small amount in my morning tea, which I have been drinking for ions.

Ayla is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry you are having trouble with this. I used to have reflux (when I ate lots of grains and sugar), but it's completely disappeared since going primal.

One thing that used to help me was Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in a cold glass of water.
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have to agree on the apple cider vinegar. Even the cheap stuff at the grocery store will help some, though Bragg's is definitely better quality and probably works better too.

I (used to) just keep a bottle in the fridge and swallow a spoonful when I got heartburn/reflux. Worked in about 20 minutes.

If you take Tums or other acid reducer, you usually just make the problem worse over the long haul. Seriously, you'll just make it worse for yourself later. As odd as it sounds, the problem isn't usually too much acid, it's not enough of it. I know, I know, it feels like too much, but trust me and take the apple cider vinegar. I was in the ER years ago, getting an EKG because the pain was so bad I thought it was a heart attack (and I have a high pain threshold). Doc put me on Prolisec and then Zyrtec. Life sucked. Started using the apple cider vinegar instead and the pain went away.

Since going Primal in May, I've only had it once. One spoonful fixed it right up.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I have to agree on the apple cider vinegar. Even the cheap stuff at the grocery store will help some, though Bragg's is definitely better quality and probably works better too.

I (used to) just keep a bottle in the fridge and swallow a spoonful when I got heartburn/reflux. Worked in about 20 minutes.

If you take Tums or other acid reducer, you usually just make the problem worse over the long haul. Seriously, you'll just make it worse for yourself later. As odd as it sounds, the problem isn't usually too much acid, it's not enough of it. I know, I know, it feels like too much, but trust me and take the apple cider vinegar. I was in the ER years ago, getting an EKG because the pain was so bad I thought it was a heart attack (and I have a high pain threshold). Doc put me on Prolisec and then Zyrtec. Life sucked. Started using the apple cider vinegar instead and the pain went away.

Since going Primal in May, I've only had it once. One spoonful fixed it right up.
    +100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast