Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Kelp Replace a Multivitamin? page

GrokON is offline Senior Member

Can Kelp Replace a Multivitamin?

Shop Now
    Hi all!

I've begun supplementing with Kelp (for Iodine) and I was wondering if it has enough of "everything else important" to round out an otherwise really good primal diet, such that I can stop taking my daily multivitamin in the future?

I do need to supplement, because being in Canada means sometimes the availability of quality veggies in the winter suffers. But I'd still like to be as natural as possible. I'm taking kelp tablets (not perfect, but a good concentrated iodine source for me) and supplementing my sauces/seasonings with kelp powder whenever appropriate. I also plan to include sea veggies in pinches and sprinkles to salads, etc.

I'm not overdoing any one thing, but I'm trying to get a few varieties of seaweed in regularly, in various forms. We eat kelp noodles too, but I'm not sure I can count them as a nutrient source.

So can the kelp supplementation reduce/eliminate my daily multi, even if (aside from the kelp tablets which are routine) my inclusion of other forms of kelp is sporadic?

I'd still keep supplementing my B vitamins and magnesium separately.

Thanks for the advice!
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried real seaweed instead of powders and tablets? It's really quite tasty. There are many different kinds. You can just eat some of them just as they are, like dulse or nori. Nori is good to make sushi. Dulse and kombe are good in soups. Hijiki makes a really good salad when reconstituted. I'm sure there are way more ways to prepare seaweed. My own skills are pretty meager. I'm not sure there's much nutritional difference between all the different kinds of seaweed but it is all good for you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

I'll be including it, but I need a more concentrated form of Iodine supplementation that is safe. I also hope to get enough of the other vitamins and minerals to ideally replace a multi, and that just wont happen with a pinch here and there of fresh seaweed. But fresh is one facet of my seaweed inclusion plan for sure!

The powder is so I can a) reduce my salt use a little, and b) so I can include kelp goodness where it otherwise simply wouldn't be welcomed. A little powder can be hidden in a sauce so that's when I'd use it. Fresh would be enjoyed for its own merit, and tablets because I really need consistent iodine so I figured a couple tablets as part of my supplement routine was a good plan.
    Last edited by GrokON; 01-23-2012 at 08:15 AM.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I got rid of all vitamins (except D3) when I started eating offal once a week. Richard Nikoley explains it here: Nutrition Density Challenge: Fruit vs. Beef Liver | Free The Animal

I do take kelp for the iodine as well. I find that if I don't take it, I get irritable and retain water like a menstrating prom queen (or some such animal).
    Almost everyone in my family has thyroid problems and damned if the kelp doesn't fix mine.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My package of Dulse says that a 1/3 cup serving has 780% of the RDA for Iodine. Supplementing is good, but there is significant iodine in the seaweed.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Unfortunately the RDA is very low so what sounds like a lot of Iodine really isn't, and it gets confusing with all the useless numbers that make up RDA. I'd be trying to aim for between 1g and 1.5g Iodine and even THAT seems to be low compared to the ideal 12.5mg (depending who you ask, anywhere between 5mg and 50mg daily of Iodine) - but I am not sure it is a good idea to take much more than that in kelp tablets in a day. Powder and fresh/dried seaweed will add on top of that several times a week, to help boost the Iodine further. It seems I could still have 1/3 cup of Dulse in my salad on top of it all and not go much past 2g of Iodine - less than HALF of the "healthy minimum" and 1/6 of the "Asian ideal" which is why I find Iodine supplementation a little intimidating.

Maybe I should look into the KI like you've done.

IcarianVX: How much do you take to help with your thyroid?

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Not the original poster, but I've been wondering about multivitamins as well - from what I'm understanding here, I'd be fine just eating liver once a week and taking extra kelp to help support my thyroid (also family history here)? I'm new to all this, and what to take/what not to take can be confusing.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Liver, greens, seaweed, bone broth and mackerel ARE the multivitamins you should take.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Liver, greens, seaweed, bone broth and mackerel ARE the multivitamins you should take.
    QFT. Except I don't think it needs to be mackerel specifically. A variety of seafood is probably fine. I'm trying to do a half pound of liver a week (which I am discovering is much easier to stomach when cooked lightly in lard and sprinkled with dried shallots, yum!), and I usually go for sushi on Fridays after I work out and eat as much tuna, salmon, clam, eel, roe, yellow tail, and octopus as I can hold from the all-you-can-eat menu.

Sushi. Best. Multivitamin. Ever.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Okay so it sounds like we're on track with the kelp. We enjoy soups and bone broth a lot. We eat some (subpar) seafood and veggies (when we can stand them, in the winter) but unfortunately we're not able to eat sushi. You can't live in BC for three years, spend $4 for the best damn plate EVER, and then be happy eating less fresh, more expensive sushi in Ontario. If you like sushi anywhere else, my advice to you is don't ever eat sushi in Vancouver because you'll never be able to eat it anywhere else again with complete satisfaction.

We've tried all the best places, all the "less than best" places, and we even did this whole thing where we picked a streetcar stop and simply ate at the first sushi place we passed. Yeah. There's no sushi here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast