Thread: Headaches! Which carb to add back in: rice or fruit? page

banananutmuffin is online now Senior Member

Headaches! Which carb to add back in: rice or fruit?

Primal Fuel
    I started PB on January 2. After a short bout of carb flu, I felt great. Lost 5 lbs of water weight - whoosh - right away. Then my weight loss stalled. In fact, a few pounds crept back on.

After perusing the forums here, I saw the most common suggestions for dropping those last few pounds was cut out dairy, cut out fruit, cut out nuts. I was already dairy-free, so I eliminated nuts and fruit (wasn't eating too much of either anyway).

Bam! Pounding headache that has gone on for 3 days. It's debilitating. (I did start drinking a lot of coffee right before I got this headache.)

Aside from eliminating coffee, I am thinking maybe I need to add some type of carb back in. My gut instinct is rice, since fruit is loaded with sugar. But I also know PB says no grains, fruit is ok.

What do you think? Should I add in a serving of rice or fruit each day? If so, which one? Or should I just try to power through this headaches and see if I can come out the other side?
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Sweet potato. Or how about turnips, rutabagas, winter squash, yams, celery root. Stuff like that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Depending on your fruit of choice, you could also be dehydrated (the coffee would not be helping that either).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

banananutmuffin is online now Senior Member
    Thanks for the thoughts! Don't know why I didn't think of sweet potatoes... they're an obvious choice.

And yeah... gonna try to make an effort to drink more h2o.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

jturk is offline Senior Member
    Stay away from fruits if you're having headaches. Large blood glucose fluctuations are a big (and overlooked) factor in headaches. If you looking to add in some carbs, starch would be much better. Just don't eat it in isolation.

Stick with it, though. Some folks do notice an increase in headaches during the transition to primal, usually lasting a couple of weeks. The good news is if you were prone to headaches before, almost everyone experiences a huge improvement in headaches once their body has fully adapted to this way of eating.
    Last edited by jturk; 01-23-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I eat more fruit than rice, myself: fruit doesn't take any preparation, for one, and you get more bang for your buck since rice is simply starch. If fructose and sucrose ("sugar") concern you, obviously you can look up which fruit are the most glucose-y/starchy, and go for those. Peach, nectarine, melon, plum, berries....