Thread: Sugar Addiction or Fat Deprivation? page

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

Sugar Addiction or Fat Deprivation?

Shop Now
    I am having a really easy time not eating sugar or carbs. It is FAR harder to cut out the dairy or cheese. I used to be a horrible sugar addict- from the time I was a kid, and always sought to control calories by cutting fat. My days were usually very low in fat for my meals, then I'd go and eat a lot of very fatty sweets. Like I never ate gummy worms or drank soda- it was always fatty sweets that did the trick. I could eat low fat sweets all day and they were no more satiatating than a bunch of veggies. And I always needed fat on sweets for them to hit the spot- like whipped cream or ice cream.

I really avoided meal time fats- as a vegetarian, of course it was easy. Pasta with veggie sauces and low fat cheese, fish, veggies prepared with a tiny bit of olive oil. Always eggs were cut with whites. Any cheese sauce was made with skim milk. Nothing was ever satisfying and when I think back to what satisfied me and did not cause sugar cravings were quesadillas always with cheese, avocado, sour cream or veggie burgers, always with cheese, onions prepared in butter and mayonnaise.

I guess for me, fat is what tells me to stop eating, and I used to avoid, and what I did eat was consumed with large amounts of carbs. A small piece of cheese is very satisfying, while in the past, it was a bunch of low fat cheese on a bunch of fat free crackers. And without fat, I never really felt like stopping eating- never had an off switch no matter how many calories I would eat.

It's funny- I'm eating less, yet my meals seem oddly decadent. I never went through sugar withdrawal- just one day started eating this way- this large amount of fats and my body was like- hey, thanks- that's what I needed.

dado Guest
    yea, this coin, it has two sides

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    fat is what tells me to stop eating
    Why Snack Food Is Addictive: The Grand Unified Theory of Snack Appeal - GNOLLS.ORG
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I need a good percentage of fat plus protein in every meal, otherwise it doesn't register as food. This explains why I never really got into cakes and biscuits, and for puddings was only interested in cheese cake, ice cream and custardy desserts.

Oh, I have the same feelings about cheese. I could never give up goats cheese ... I'm certain that my ancestors farmed goats, in mountainous terrain.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-23-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: typo
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    It's funny- I'm eating less, yet my meals seem oddly decadent. I never went through sugar withdrawal- just one day started eating this way- this large amount of fats and my body was like- hey, thanks- that's what I needed.
    ^^^^This, exactly. I am also a recovering sugar/grain addict, and this is exactly how I feel. Funny, for having given up an entire food group (grains), I don't feel deprived at all.