Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request for Product Recommendations page

PhiPsiJB is offline Junior Member

Request for Product Recommendations

Shop Now
    Hi everyone...

I'm looking to go slightly more Primal with my diet (barring occasional extra carbs for athletic performance) and I'm hoping to use the forum here for some insight.

If you all would share the name brands of products you like it would be a great place for me to start. As a note, I have a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods nearby so I can hopefully find products you recommend there in conjunction with other traditional supermarkets.

I'm most interested in finding the following:

• Bacon
    • Coconut milk
    • Almond milk
    • Coconut oil
    • Almond flour
    • Sausage (beef, chicken, etc.)
    • Yogurt (I don't eat dairy but my wife and children do)
    • Butter

Of course, feel free to recommend anything else you find particularly enjoyable or consider a kitchen essential.

Thanks in advance!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I buy pretty much all my meat from a butcher so no brand name. If you look for one in your area check to see if they offer deals. I buy in bulk so I get a dollar off every pound on most items that I buy ten pounds of. If you're only going to use small amounts of almond meal then buying in bulk is a waste. I buy bulk then freeze but I can't use coconut flour. You'll still likely save money if you buy online from either NutsOnline | Premium Bulk & Wholesale Nuts, Dried Fruits & Gift Baskets (formerly nutsonline.com) or Freeze Dried Food - Grains - Baking Ingredients - Emergency Food Storage :: Honeyvillegrain.com I can't help you with coconut or almond milk, as I can't use either one. I don't digest coconut fiber well and commercial non-dairy milks all have fillers that I can't have.

Blackcatbone: Thanks for the links to NutsOnline and Honeyvillegrain. I'll be sure to check them out.

I'm also reaching out to a local farm to purchase beef, chicken, and eggs so hopefully that will work out, too.

I put together a couple of posts a while back on paleo/primal products I buy at Whole Foods. and at Costco
    This is certainly not everything that a person can buy at these places that fit in the paleo/primal diet - just things I tend to buy.
    I also shop at Trader Joe's but haven't put together a post for that yet. At TJs I tend to buy:

Almond butter
    organic yams (sweet potatoes)
    100% grass fed ground beef
    beef jerky
    baked plantain chips
    trail mix
    dark chocolate (>70%)
    KerryGold butter (from grassfed cows)
    Almond meal
    nitrate/nitrite free bacon

For yogurt I recommend the full fat Fage brand
    I use Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour and Coconut Secret coconut flour.

I hope that helps a bit!
    Last edited by Paleo Spirit; 01-23-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Paleo Spirit: Thanks for your post. I'm on the same page when it comes to what I frequently buy at Trader Joe's but I really appreciate your links about what you've purchased at Whole Foods and Costco. The Whole Foods link in particular gave me some great places to start the next time I visit the store.

Also, you mentioned a "no-grain breakfast mash" you enjoy...what's the recipe, if you don't mind my asking? I'm trying to find a decent no-grain substitute for breakfast now that I've given up oatmeal and such.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I like the TJ's chicken sausages- the one I get have maple syrup in them, but they have different flavors.

For breakfast, I love eggs! Nothing beats eggs scrambled with avocado and salsa!!! It takes maybe five minutes- heat your pan, cut up half an avocado- throw it in the pan with butter, put in a big scoop of the TJ's salsa- saute, scramble up your eggs and dump them in and scramble it up.

magnolia1973: Thanks for the tip on the chicken sausages. Gotta admit I tend to walk right by most pre-packaged meat products like sausage and whatnot but I'll be sure to give them a try.

And I'm a bit of an egg addict so no worries there! You and I seem to have similar tastes...my morning breakfast is always scrambled eggs or an omelete with veggies, avocado/guacomole, and salsa.

dave155 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiPsiJB View Post
    Blackcatbone: Thanks for the links to NutsOnline and Honeyvillegrain. I'll be sure to check them out.

I'm also reaching out to a local farm to purchase beef, chicken, and eggs so hopefully that will work out, too.
    That's a great route. Many have share programs you can buy into to get deliciuos, fresh products. Be sure to ask to purchase smaller amounts before you purchase bulk. Make sure you like their stuff before dropping serious money. I did this and was very disappointed with my first choice. second attempt was jackpot!
    Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
    CW 163
    GW 155

My Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45618.html

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    i just get my meat from the whole foods meat counter.

yogurt--Fage
    butter-- kerrygold
    coco oil-- trader joes brand
    almond milk--make your own, store bought has a lot of additives
    almond flour--trader joes brand

I had forgotten the mention of breakfast mash! That reminds me I should put a recipe post together for that because it really helped my husband and me get through the first few weeks. It was basically a mashed banana (sometimes we use a very ripe plantain), flax meal, coconut milk and almond meal. I can't remember the quantities offhand because I haven't made it in a while. You could play around with those ingredients to see if you can come up with something tasty. I'll check my notes and put a recipe together to share.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast