Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Type 1 and Type A page

apple is offline Senior Member

Type 1 and Type A

I tend to do things 100% or not at all, but this primal thing has been harder for me than I thought.

I've been primal for 1 year, but that year was spent interspersed with periods of time in which I ate half bars of dark chocolate while drinking half bottles of wine (or whole bars when I was particularly stressed). I also would drink gluten free beers or ciders while out with family/friends, and do the "corn chips and salsa are definitely better than cake, so I'll eat those instead" thing. At home by myself, I could be much better to myself and eat meat, eggs, cooked veggies, but could never quite give up the dairy. I started drinking coffee (blame grad school, please, not me!) and couldn't drink it without the cream. For about 4 months or so, I have had acid reflux like nobody's business. Additionally: protein in greater quantities gives me blood sugar just as high as a bagel would, so I was becoming really discouraged by the lack of control I was seeing, even though primal/paleo was supposed to be an unparalleled way to gain that control. Even when I was 100% awesome at primal, I would see out of control numbers.

So starting right after Christmas, I did a 3 week coffee/dairy/alcohol cleanse (along with diet soda purge, and I will NEVER let that one back into my life!). I felt good, lost a few pounds of bloatage, reduced my insulin usage, slept better, etc. Around week 2 this year, I started in on the coffee and cream and my blood sugars began rising again, as well as the Crohns-y feeling of trying to poop out glue (sorry for that description). This weekend I decided to have a GF beer or 3 and really felt the pain again.

So long story short, I am giving up the coffee, the dairy, and the alcohol again. For good, though! I will have wine on a special occasion, but not for a few months at least. And 'special occasion' doesn't mean "so and so is having a party!" it means "I'm getting married in September."

I essentially need to reduce overall inflammation so I can keep better control of my blood sugar. So after a week or so of cutting all that back out, I'm going to try a whole30 to get these innards in real shape. I'm also going to take my cod liver oil religiously, as well as a few additional supplements recommended in "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaudas. Will also do some bone broths and dairy-free ferments a la GAPS protocol.

I VOW to take my exercise more seriously this year. Last year I had some good runs with exercise, but none of it really lasted. This year I have already discovered hot yoga, and I've become addicted after 2 days. I am going to add sprinting days to the days that I work hours too long to get to yoga, and then 2-3 LHT days (after I let yoga help in the strength department for a little while).

I'm also getting an insulin pump, which means I can give myself teeeeny doses of insulin over a longer period of time (like for protein). Right now, everything is lining up for better control, and I plan to take advantage of that.

One last thing: I gained about 15 pounds after breaking my collarbone last September and following "faileo" out of perceived helplessness and frustration. So I need to lose that fat I put on! I am currently 142 pounds, and I am typically ~130. I do plan on gaining more strength this year, so I don't want to make a weight goal (which I hear is useless anyway), but I do want to quit being "skinny fat." I'm about 5'9"-5'10" so I'm still in a healthy weight, but I'm definitely a bit flabby right now.

So here's to some changes, right? Anyone want to give helpful advice to me? I'm an autoimmune mess, and would love some help.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Breakfast: chai tea with that "crack coconut creamer" recipe. I like the texture of the creamer but the taste isn't so good. I haven't liked coconut milk since I started buying a certain brand (whole foods I think) so I'm starting to think it's the brand and not just me.

Lunch: salmon and green beans.

(note: I'm not usually home for lunch, so this is seriously atypical. usually it's canned tuna/salmon or hard boiled eggs and a veggie.)

Dinner may just be IF'd. I'm going to hot yoga tonight, want to stay for 2 sessions. I might have a snack beforehand, probably chicken sausage or something easy.

Going coffee-free has been a bit easier this time, probably because I only drank it for like a week and a half before I quit again. F U, COFFEE.

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

Post 3 for tonight: I'm being excessive. Had melted coconut oil mixed with a bit of almond butter for a post yoga snack.

I LOVE MY YOGA... check it out, this place is awesome! Arrichion - Hot Yoga | Circuit Training | Wrestling | Mixed Martial Arts - Strength Through Focus I totally can't go tomorrow, too busy at work; plus I'm getting sore since I kind of went from 0 to 60 on this workout stuff

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

3 11-hour work days. Not much to eat except tuna and walnuts and salads. Gave in to the coffee again 1x. With cream. Dammit, I just want ONE VICE that doesn't hurt my health. And herbal tea ain't cutting it.

I'm positive that all my hormones are screwed up majorly. I want to do leptin reset. What do you eat for a BAB when you have no time in the morning? I didn't have work today, so I ate my chicken links and eggs, which was good without being uncomfortably filling. I'm thinking egg white protein shakes in the mornings that I need to eat something quick, but my problems with that are these:

1) coconut milk has been nasty lately, and the texture of that canned shit is awful
    2) coconut oil just becomes chunks in the magic bullet, not a smooth blend
    3) it makes my blood sugar a bit more hit or miss.
    4) I want cream! but see blood sugar problems. it would be perfect fat + protein if I could do this, but no, my body hates me and everything I put in it. Would it just be better to take some more insulin to take care of it, so that I have to stress less about it? I'm type 1, so it's not like I'm getting any pancreatic function back by keeping my insulin levels low.

So short of eating leftover cold steak every morning, or 6 eggs fried real fast and scarfed down, or 6 hard-boiled eggs choked down, I'm at a loss. And I am kind of tired of eggs.

I am going to try, though. I prefer to IF in the mornings...it just feels right. But it hasn't been working for me either.

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

I did 5 yoga classes in 3 days! It makes me so happy. Loooove that stuff, love feeling sore -- it's like proof that my muscles did some work!

I'm not so happy that I drank wine 2x last weekend. I really need to just let that shit go. Wed is Feb 1st, so I'm going to do the whole30 stuff, I SWEAR IT! I also want to try to keep track of what certain foods do to me, so:

B -- egg white protein shake (made with cream, ~50g protein in it) -- took 2u insulin, blood sugar ~140 ~4hrs later. Not so good, but not as bad as it's been previously. Kind of nauseous about 1/2 hour after drinking it, but not too bad. I don't think shakes are going to agree with me for long.
    L -- dolmas (love those things, even if they do have rice) -- 5u, blood sugar ~200 ~4 hours later. NOT GOOD AT ALL. But I also had coffee later in the afternoon, with half and half, so I know the dolmas weren't really to blame. I can imagine that the BS would have been around 120 had I not had the coffee. Which I am giving up...I swear.
    D -- not so hungry, handful of walnuts for dinner. 2u insulin, BS ~160 for some reason. Walnuts don't have enough carbs to effect my BS like that. Maybe inflammation? 2u more insulin to bring down high BS.

Also had about 1tbsp cod liver oil. yummm...kinda.

So...about 50-60g carb today. About 11u insulin, plus 16u long-acting insulin. About 60g protein. Probably ~130g fat, had a lot of cream! Love that stuff. Don't think it's doing me too many favors. Been feeling tired lately, think I need more b-vit. all around. Ordered some to take supplementally since my bowels ain't so good at digesting vegetables.

I really want to water fast again, just for 2-3 days. But the whole diabetes thing makes me hesitant.

I also really want to lose this belly fat. I've never looked so...chunky...before now. It won't go away...hope my thyroid is still functioning

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

Oh yeah, fasting BS was 83 this morning. VICTORY IS MINE!

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried making your own ghee and using that instead of cream? If you put the coffee and ghee in the blender for a few seconds it emulsifies and tastes really good - almost like coffee with cream - but it is pure fat - should not impact your blood sugar. It works great in tea as well.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

I tried the bullet-proof coffee with tea earlier this month. I did try it with butter and not ghee, and it wasn't so tasty, but I think it may have been more the specific tea mixed with that butter. I should try making ghee again! I didn't do so well straining out the milk solids last time I made it, so I don't think I did it right. It was kind of just butter :/

Fasting BS 1/31/12: 123. I'll give it a "meh" rating. I'm not horrified by it (and that should tell you a little something about how they've BEEN looking lately...)

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

Fasting BS this morning: 60. Ruh roh, raggie.

Breakfast: tuna

Lunch: bah. straight coffee.

Dinner: chicken and coconut oil and fish oil.

Got some mega b vitamins today, hope they help my tired feelings. I heard somewheres or others that being diabetic depletes the Bs.

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So much for whole30. F that, can't mentally handle that commitment right now.

Fasting BS: 160. Because I ate moderate protein for dinner...I really need to eat very little or no protein, it appears. And since I won't eat carb, either, it looks like I will eat my daily helping of fish oil and nothing else. Hoorah. Welllllll maybe when I get my insulin pump, I can change that and have real dinner again.

BF: chicken and olive oil, lotsa cream in mah coffee

L: IF

D: 2 bratwurtses, my preciousss!

Need to get off my butt and go buy some vegetables. I've been all out for like 4 days...will probably be giving this FODMAPS diet a go for the month. No garlic/onions is gonna be killer At least it seems like I can have chives and the green parts of spring onions. We'll see if they can do enough. I might replace the deliciousness that is those yummy yummmmmy garlicky oniony nummies with some berry indulgences instead. I keep hearing that I shouldn't have more than 35ish g carbs a day as a diabetic. But I don't know if anything that I am doing is sustainable.

In other (shitty) news, I think I'm in the starting throes of neuropathy. My poor legs are tired and heavy all the time, and they hurt unless I sleep with them slightly elevated...

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast