Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Type 1 and Type A page 3

apple is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    OMG I had a freaking TERRIBLE night, and consequently, terrible feeling day today. Let's go through the happenings, shall we?

1. 7 PM last night, decided, heck I want to make chebe bread buns and have REAL burgers. And sweet potatoes, all in ONE fantastic meal. Not bad for a Monday night, right? Wrooooonnng. I counted carbs meticulously, because that's what I have to do, and saw that I was going to eat exactly 132 grams of carb. Insulin pump told me to take 8.80 units of insulin for that much food, so I did.
    2. Finished eating all this around 9:00. Did a little work here and there, 11:00 rolls around, I check my blood sugar. 230, not good, but I've seen worse after lower carb meals, so I just take some correction insulin, plus a little bit more for that handful of chocolate chips that I seem to crave before bed every night. I set a just-in-case alarm for 2 AM to check blood sugar again.
    3. 2 AM rolls around, mouth is dry and I have to PEE: bad signs. Blood sugar was 541. FIVE HUNDRED AND FORTY ONE. Holy balls. Never seen that before.
    4. Took 8.90 units to correct that high! So apparently, if I'm going to have more than 100g carbs at once (hint: I won't ever again!), I just need to double that freaking insulin. Or not sleep so I can keep checking the blood sugar.
    5. Woke up at 6, checked it again. 360. Corrected again.
    6. Woke up again at 7, checked it again. 130. Thank you Jeebus.
    7. By 9:00, 64. Eat some dang carbs again.
    8. By 11:00, 170. Take some dang insulin again.
    9. By 2:00, 80 and dropping, eat some dang candy from coworker's desk.
    10. By 5:00, 180. Take more #$%@$*& insulin!!! gaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm so frustrated. I KNEW it was a high carb meal, but I did my BBS workout the day before, and I typically NEED the extra carbs the next day (not 130g extra, but at least 60g extra, or else lows will be coming). I hate that I can't just relax EVER and I have to count carbs every single fucking day for the rest of my life if I want to keep my feet on my legs and my eyeballs in my head. 541. If I hadn't checked it when I did, I would have been in a coma by morning. fffffffffffff me.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Okay....now that I've calmed down a little bit, I can look at this rationally.

I MUST have had an air bubble in my tubing to have a blood sugar that high. I need to be more careful to check for those. This is only subcutaneous insulin dosage, and not intravenous, so an air bubble isn't deadly...but it does mean you get air instead of insulin. So an extremely unfortunate dosage of high carbs with an air bubble will get me coma-high blood sugars! Fun, right?

Anyway...back to regular fooding. I'm going to a wedding this weekend, and it's someone very close to me so I expect to be in the throes of wedding-related eating from now until Sunday afternoon. BUT I will be sensible!

I was talking to the fiance's uncle last night, and he has recently become a hypnotherapist. I let him hypnotize me to teach me effective relaxation techniques, and I feel amazing right now! It was very different from the typical TV hypnotism BS. It's all about using positive language to suggest to your subconscious things that you wouldn't otherwise be able to accept due to rational thought. It's pretty cool.

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Hi apple;

As someone with two MA degrees and a PhD I can promise you graduate school will not help your long term health in the least unless you are strategic. As you are well aware, it causes extreme stress from deadlines and politics and teaching (if that's a factor for you) as well as seemingly unlimited and justifiable reasons and situations to drink alcohol and eat crap food. Not to mention the uncertainty of a job at the end.
    Last edited by missblue; 03-23-2012 at 06:34 AM.

I have a few interviews lined up. I'm just on internship right now, no classes anymore. I had wonderful dreams last night involving one Mr. Daniel Craig, so I'm pretty relaxed right now

Alcohol doesn't factor in too much anymore. Every once in a while I'll want a glass of wine or two, but even that is dwindling. I figured out all I really want is to drink out of a fancy glass...so I just put sparkling water in a wine glass and I'm happy! Crap food kind of comes into play every so often when I'm with friends, or when someone at work doesn't want to finish their french fries. Otherwise, I think I do pretty well day to day.

Thanks for the advice though! I'm so close to finishing that I just imagine graduation day and can calm down at this point. The hypnotherapist asked me to keep practicing, too, so I'm doing really well as of this week.

However, it's more the chronic health issues that are bugging me. I am on my way out the door soon for an MREntero (like an MRI + small bowel study put together). Hopefully they'll be telling me that I DON'T have gastroparesis or something.

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

I'M OFFICIALLY A MASTER OF SCIENCE! Whoooooooooooooooo

Anyway, the last few months I have seen a lot of weight gain. My diet hasn't been perfect, and I've been following the Body by Science workout, so some of it can be contributed to lazy eating, and some to muscle growth. HOWEVER, +15ish pounds since February is CRAZY! I have an extra inch on my hips, each thigh, and about 1.5" extra on my waist. (None on the bust front, sadly...) So my endocrinologist has decided it's time to recheck my thyroid and do an ultrasound.

I had decided 2 weeks ago to start the iodine protocol I found here (thanks, MDA members, for highlighting that!). Should I quit the protocol and wait to get labs done? I don't want to interfere with the readings if possible. However, I also don't want to go on synthroid for life. My plan so far:

Tell my endo that I have been taking these new supplements: iodine, selenium, b-complex, magnesium, vit c. Bring the literature, maybe (except all I have is the iodine references google doc... might not be considered scientific research, lol). Ask her opinion, and if I can keep trying this to regulate thyroid hormone production before I try hormone replacement drug therapies.

Anyone have a better plan?

In other news, my (new) endocrinologist suggested getting a temporary continuous glucose monitor implant to read glucose readings every 5 minutes for 72 hours. This will be to readjust insulin pump settings to get me better blood sugars throughout the day. I'm excited! Nothing like this was offered at the last office.

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

That's awesome to the power of n. Congratulations.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    congrats on finishing grad school-- as for the weight gain, maybe it's correlated with the stress of that final push to the finish of grad school? i've been in grad school for like 5 years now, and it stresses the hell out of me (ms and ph.d. really fun times). but when i have a break after exams or a summer of work, seems to help.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Officially up to 12.5mg iodine. Eating brazil nuts for my selenium as I prefer a whole food...taking natural calm + vit C powder. With all these supplements I'm taking it makes sense to try to reduce the amount of cellulose/stearate/whatever filler that's usually in supplement tablets. I am taking capsules for B vitamins. I also start the day with l-glutamine powder in water to heal up mucosal linings of the intestines.

Anywayyyyy...that was a boring little monologue regarding my morning supplement routine. I'm going out for a walk before the rain starts this afternoon...

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

Just bought Merrell pace running shoes. I LOVE them!!

I set myself a goal for September: lose the majority of the fat that I've put on over the last few months. I'm giving myself until late August to do so, really. I need to fit in that wedding dress! It fit perfectly when I first tried it on in March. I tried it on again in the store when I took some bridesmaids to try on their own dresses and it was super tight around the hips to the point that I could hardly move. SOO...time to get serious.

I went on a 3.5 mile bike ride this morning. Would have gone farther but those hills were treacherous on my legs! Practically mountains, I swear. Strapped my Garmin watch to the handlebars, so I know all the fun details about my ride. Like how it took me 24:19 to finish the ride (took a good 3-4 minutes water/rest at the top of a particularly rough "mountain" or it would have been shorter). I'm kind of proud of myself because I've been so lazy recently...but that short ride is a little pathetic. Obviously I have been lazier than I thought this past semester.

I went on a run in my new shoes on Friday, but I didn't take my Garmin, so I have literally no details about that workout. Only that it took 10-15 minutes, and roughly half of that time was spent walking to catch my breath, because apparently I can't jog...just run.

Plan: Continue the BBS lifting workout 1x a week. Run or bike 2-4 times a week, but no more than that at the moment. I want to get into half-marathon shape again, even if it is considered "chronic cardio."

Been eating fewer calories overall, and it hasn't done anything for the fat I've gained recently It has done WONDERS for my blood sugar though Mostly because I have the free time now to actually track the food and give myself better insulin calculations.

So tell me if this makes sense, or if it is supremely stupid:

The above exercise plan for a 146ish pound 5'9" woman eating 1400-1600 calories a day; 50-100g carb, 90g protein, and the rest fat (on the higher end of carb range with workout days). Yes, no? I'm afraid to eat more because I DO have a freaking $1200 wedding dress ordered in a specified size already. If it doesn't fit, I can't wear it, period. There's no room to let it out!

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

June whole30

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Going to do a whole30 for June. So I have 2 days to clear out the cheese and cream in my fridge. There isn't too much of it, totally doable.

Personal whole30 rules:
    No grains or legumes
    No processed meats, added carageenan, msg or sulfites
    NO DAIRYYYYY
    No nuts
    No alcohol
    No white potatoes

While the whole30 typically prohibits weighing in, I am on a limited time constraint to lose this added butt padding. I will move away from weighing in every morning and lessen it to 1x a week.

I do want to keep my carbs up to 50-100g a day to prevent further thyroid disruption. I will be having some fruit and sweeter veggies like carrots, bell peppers, etc.

I also JUST started making water kefir, so I will be drinking that. It has trace sugar in it, but oh well. I'm not going to let my kefir grains die just so I can conform perfectly to someone else's diet.

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast