Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Type 1 and Type A page 2

apple is offline Senior Member
    are collards/kale safe under FODMAPs diet? I'm thinking about going nuts with those because cooked veggies are so much nicer to me than raw. Plus I can get more bacon in with those

Fasting BS: 122. Not terrible, considering I had a bunch of walnuts after dinner. mmm soo gooood...

It's Friday, beginning of my weekend! I'm going to do some laundry, clean up around the house while I wait for the UPS man to deliver my insulin pump! I decided to have it sent on a day I'm home because it would be CRAZY stupid to leave a $10000 package on the front porch. Not that they would; I'm pretty sure someone has to sign for it.

Breakfast was pretty good! Since I had time to make it tasty. Here's what I did, yo:

diced chicken (50g of protein's worth!)
    mixed cream and grated parmesan in a bowl with himalayan salt and a dried herb blend (tarragon, dill, marjoram, etc) and covered the chicken with it.

FREAKING YUMMY.

Lunch, can't lie, will probably do the coffee/cream thing again. I'm liking it, and it's making me feel pretty good until dinner -- no carbs in it, just fat; yummy yummy faaat.

Dinner -- hopefully I can go to the store and get some vegetables. Cross your fingers for my package to come early in the morning so I'm not under house arrest all day. Especially since I'd like to go to yoga this afternoon.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Fasting BS: 202. ooooops. I fell asleep last night without checking it after dinner, I typically do that so I can correct it if it's higher than I like. This is what happens when I let myself get good sleep.

Went to 2 hot yoga classes this morning, felt awesome through the first one, but spent all my energy in that one learning new poses. Did not push myself at all in the second class as I felt dizzy on and off (vasovagal reaction...fortunately I know by now to stand up veeerrrrryyy slowly).

So anyway. I'm not sure I've been able to eat enough. Here's the deal from the past 6 days:

Sunday:
    bratwurst
    cream and coffee
    fish oil
    roasted chicken (dark meat mmm)
    1-2 oz walnuts

1247 calories; 55g protein, 10g carb, 111g fat

Monday:
    egg white protein shake + cream
    5 dolmas
    walnuts

1116 calories, 55g protein, 55g carb, 80g fat

Tues:
    egg white protein shake with cream
    5 dolmas
    4 eggs with parmesan cheese
    1 oz walnuts

1110 calories, 78g protein, 54g carb, 66g fat

Wed:
    tuna salad
    coffee and cream
    chicken
    coconut oil
    fish oil

1289 calories, 66g protein, 23g carb, 111g fat

Thurs:
    chicken breast with olive oil
    coffee/cream
    bratwurst

1382 calories, 79g protein, 8g carb, 113g fat

Fri: (I literally had a cup of cream yesterday)
    chicken breast with cream/parmesan/herb sauce
    cream/coffee
    dolmas

1527 calories, 63g protein, 51g carb, 122g fat

So the only day that was anywhere near reason was yesterday. I also need to eat some freaking vegetables! Maybe I'll start incorporating more coconut oil and cream in with cooked collards or kale or other nummy greens. I wish I could eat them raw, it's so much faster.

In other news, I am going to make some buffalo chicken dip with Frank's Red Hot sauce for a party tomorrow, and take over celery so I can chow down on that shit! Better than eating the chips/beer/otherjunk that I'm sure will be there in abundance.

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

OH YEAH! I forgot the news: the company sent the wrong insulin pump, so now I have to wait for the NEW one and ship this one back. I wanted pink and I'm getting PINK!! Because I'm girly sometimes. And Komen doesn't own pink, and she never will, no matter how hard she wants it.

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

fasting: 101. whoop! Shouldn't get too excited as this is the first time it's been below ~250 all week. I think I figured out the problem though: I always aggressively correct my blood sugar and I think I'm going low overnight, and having a rebound high by morning. I had BS of ~200 before bed last night, but I honestly did not feel like dealing with it or taking my 8th shot that day...so I just went to bed. And I woke up and it was 101! So I am going to continue to experiment, and just target my blood sugar for about 140 instead of 80 at night, and not correct unless it is over 200. That sounds bad, but it worked last night, and I want to see if it works again.

I got my insulin pump! I have to wait to be trained to use it til next week though. So I am currently doing basal testing. That means I get to fast for ~4-5 hours at different times of day on separate days, and check my blood sugar every hour or so, so I can figure out if my "background" insulin levels are good or if they are too high or too low. If my blood sugar moves more than 30 points over 2 hours or so, I'll know that I need to take either more or less background insulin.

So in other words, I didn't eat breakfast this morning. I have been trying the leptin reset thing, but I think my blood sugar was doing better without the huge 50g protein breakfasts. I have been staying full until about 1:00, which is really nice, but my BS has honestly been between 250 and 375 by lunch, so I think I need to quit the crazy protein breakfasts.

I bought a bunch of collards that I am going to cook up to have over the weekend! Bacony greens, mmmm....

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Damn Apple I admire the conviction in controlling your type 1. 8 shots a day; dang!

I *love* cooking my veggies with bacon. My fav is brussel sprouts, bacon and a splash of chicken broth and simmer in a wok... freakin amazing!
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by ELCO14 View Post
    Damn Apple I admire the conviction in controlling your type 1. 8 shots a day; dang!

I *love* cooking my veggies with bacon. My fav is brussel sprouts, bacon and a splash of chicken broth and simmer in a wok... freakin amazing!
    Thank you! If you had asked me 2 years ago if I could even give myself ONE shot, I would have said no waaayyyy. One more week until I can use my insulin pump and then it will be one jab with a needle every 3 days. That's going to be heavenly. And hopefully I will have MUCH better control than I have been getting lately!

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

Uhhhh yeah...time to get back to this thread for updates.

I have moved to a new place, started on an insulin pump, and am NOW ready to tweak the diet. Because I ordered myself a wedding dress yesterday!

Alcohol makes my morning blood sugar too high, and it's just not worth drinking anymore. I may have wine on special occasions, but I'm not about to drink a "relaxing" glass after work on a regular basis.

I have given up my coffee with cream for good! I think my body was so tired of it that I couldn't even stand the taste anymore, so it was easier than expected. I now am caffeine free, although I have a few teas that do have caffeine in my cupboard, so I can't say that I'll be 100% with that all the time. I still haven't had soda since New Years. David and I gave up eating out at restaurants for Lent because it was too expensive and because we need to not be so lazy when it comes to cooking. I have significantly reduced the amount of chocolate I eat weekly.

I think cutting out the wine on a significant level will help me see a lot more gains.

I read Body By Science last weekend and David and I did the Big 5 workout this morning. I can hardly lift my arms, but my legs were obviously not worked enough. I am committed to eating low carb right now, even though I still have that stupid gluten free bread in my cupboard. 1 slice = 24g carb. If I have one with dinner from now until this Friday or Saturday, I can finish it off without wasting it and without overloading myself with carb. Or I can let David finish it and not give myself the indigestion that it is probably causing me.

So the goals for the rest of March are:
    1. No dairy (not even CHEESE, yes, you.)
    2. No coffee/soda
    3. Less than 75g carb a day, all from safe starch or fruit sources
    4. No alcohol (except sister-in-law's wedding; I will probably break down and that's okay; but it needs to be a small amount)
    5. Limit nuts
    6. BBS Big 5 workout 1x a week

Quick question: can anyone name anything that is high in quick carbs that causes NO GI distress? I am looking for a new low blood sugar remedy that isn't glucose tabs or annie's gummi bears. So far I have considered honey packets, but I don't think that it necessarily won't cause indigestion symptoms. Ideas?

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    Since you only have 15 pounds to lose, lower calorie is better... but damn woman, eat something! I'm one of those people that will eat-till-I-puke though. Not the best image, but I do mean I have no problem eating alot. I probably eat 2x as much as you. Lol, I have a little shame in admitting that though. I could eat a 12 oz steak and a half pack a bacon in a sitting. I do eat 12 oz of beef and a half pack of bacon in a sitting. I think something's wrong with me...

But I hope that gives you some perspective! Most people find a nice sweet spot in the 1500-1700 range for weight loss, 1700-1900 for maintenance. And then just as many enjoy calorie cycling, indulging a few times a week and dipping rather low a few times a week (the "dipping low" being about the calories you're eating now!).

The more and more I read on this forum, the more and more I realize everyone's just doing their own thing and finding out what works for their life and goals. You know how it is. But I hope that throws some ideas to stir in the pot
    Last edited by kcarol; 03-11-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks for the reply, kcarol. If you only saw my weekend calories! I keep grazing lately, which is why it's been a while since I've posted counts. Having an insulin pump has made it a lot easier to eat more, so I'm doing a bit better now.

I actually did mean to post my count from yesterday:

1 banana (90cal, 23g carb)
    2 beef patties (431cal, 27g fat, 42g protein)
    1/2 a mushroom and spinach fritatta with a tiny bit of cheddar cheese, fried in bacon fat (324cal, 24g fat, 5g carb, 20g protein)
    1 med sweet potato with butter (206cal, 23g carb, 11g fat)
    chocolate chips (60cal, 10g carb, 3g fat)
    roast pork wrapped in prosciutto stuffed with onions and garlic (240 cal, 33g protein, 7g fat)
    lots of wine... (366cal, 12g carb)

total: 1730cal, 85g fat, 73g carb, 95g protein

unless I did math wrong. entirely likely.

Now weekdays...that's another matter. 10 hour days with very little free time makes for difficult mouth-stuffing.

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fasting blood sugar has been in the 85-110 range for the past WEEK! Coffee/cream and alcohol free is doing my body good, yo.

I did go to the GI doc last week. They are going to do another colonoscopy, upper endoscopy and an MR-entero (MRI, basically) to take another look-see. Apparently this new GI doctor thinks that I DON'T have Crohn's That would be wonderful! I went in and told them about all the symptoms I'd been having and then said that this has been happening on and off over the few years since I've been dx'd, and they think that since it has been going away without medication, it can't be Crohn's disease. BUT I do wonder how many people the GI docs see that are primal, sooo....we'll just have to see!

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast