Thread: Really, red meat is o.k.? Substitutes for pork, bacon, etc.? page

FitJen is offline Junior Member

Really, red meat is o.k.? Substitutes for pork, bacon, etc.?

Shop Now
    Hi,

I'm thinking of starting to eat primal in a week or sooner. I can accept and believe in most of what I have read however I'm stuck on the red meat portion. Eating more red meat really will not promote heart disease ( I read that inflammation is the underlying cause brought on by other foods/grains,etc.) and Gerd/reflux? I do not eat a lot of red meat now so do I have to eat a lot of it to be successfully primal when I change my eating habits? I'm guessing, yes I need to eat more. I only like steak if it's barely pink in the middle and finding organic is a challenge even at Trader Joes. I think Whole Foods is the best place around Atlanta for me to shop primally. Also where is the bison? I haven't seen it.

I do not eat Pork. I noticed this along with bacon is a large part of recipes and suggestions in Mark's books in the area of meat. Can I substitute Turkey or Chicken bacon? If so where is the best place to find Organic brands? Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thank you so much. I'm sure I need to read more of the literature too.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    There is room for a lot of flexibility when it comes to meat. Eat what you like. There's no rule that says it has to be red meat.

As for the bacon thing, no, I don't think you can substitute turkey or chicken for standard bacon, simply for the fact that turkey/chicken bacon is a highly processed food product and nothing like actual fatty bacon. Besides that, it tastes disgusting (in my opinion.)

So long as you're eating lots of plants and animals, don't worry too much about the details.

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with your new journey. You don't have to eat lots of red meat -- but many of us like it a lot. Bacon is generally considered a gateway meat -- most everyone likes it. But again, you don't have to eat it if you don't like it or have other reasons, such as religion, to avoid it. Do pick up a copy of the Primal Blueprint -- or the 28 Day version recently published. It will answer many of your questions.

I really love Primal for the variety -- we had lamb chops tonight, pork roast last night, chicken the night before (thighs) and chicken livers the day before that. Had brussels sprouts, acorn squash, yams, peppers, and asparagus, too. Ham and eggs for breakfast this morning. So far this week, we haven't had any fish (usually salmon) or big-ass salads (which I like for dinner.) We also eat game meat -- elk and antelope that my husband hunts. Dark chocolate is a daily treat (I eat 88% dark). Also whipped cream and berries and red wine. Who needs bread???

I buy bison at Whole Foods or at Costco. Also pastured butter and eggs. You can purchase pastured/grass finished meats on-line as well. Check out US Wellness Meats. This is a very flexible diet -- you eat what works best for you, and you try to eat the most wholesome meats out there -- that means organic, if possible, grass fed and finished, even better. Wild caught for fish. But don't let the perfect get in the way of the better. And work your way slowly into things that don't sound to good right now -- you might surprise yourself!
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

FitJen is offline Junior Member
    Thank you. This helps. I typically buy Egglands best eggs sometimes organic version and sometimes only the cage free version. Is the cage free version the same as pastured and is organic not necessary? I'm still learning. I do not eat meats with nitrates and I think this is what the primal plan recommends too, right? Apple gate farms has nitrate free organic deli meats. Are these o.k.? Again is organic version the best? They have a "natural" version too. Where do you find the Lamb? Can you suggest a good brand of dark chocolate at 75% or above? Thanks again!!

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    Apple gate is good. I like Trader Joes nitrate free hotdogs, too. My personal opinion about eggs is that unless you buy them from a farm, who knows what kind of life the chicken had or what it ate. There's so many ways to get around the mandates and rules about what the labels mean. Farm eggs are a thousand times better. When I can't get them, I buy brown eggs and don't fret too much about the label.

Also, I used to only like well done meat. I've found myself going pinker and pinker. I love my steak seasoned, put on a really hot pan and turned when the steak unsticks itself from the pan. Let it sit to suck back in the juices and it's heaven to me.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    My Whole Food carries pastured lamb. The ground lamb is somewhat reasonably priced and makes terrific burgers.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    While dark chocolate is awesome it is definitely not mandatory. I have it once a week(maybe) usually following my Sunday ritual of big-ass steak perfect rare for dinner. My favorite brand is Green and Black(looks like G&B on the label). It's organic and no soy lecithin which a lot of the other organic choices have. I don't believe the label "natural" means much of anything really, it's a marketing term.

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    Hey I'm from Atlanta too! North side though, Alpharetta/Johns Creek
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Poultry is very high in O6, so keep that in mind too. Oily fish is a better bet if you're not ready to eat red meat twice a day.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It's no problem eating Primal without pork. I can't eat bacon, and it's still easy. Some of the guys here get into a bacon frenzy sometimes, and I think some of that is that it was forbidden for so long. The other part is that it just tastes good.

Most of the studies that come out in the media saying red meat is bad for you - well, the vast majority lump red meat together with processed meat. A high quality steak is nothing like half a pound of bologna, but that's how they work the study, and the headline becomes "Red Meat Is Bad". Don't worry about it. Just go for the best quality meat you can reasonably afford.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com