Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Dog food?... page

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

Good Dog food?...

Primal Fuel
    So I read that Raw ala Prey or some other one that I don't remember the name of is best for my dog...well I didn't want to go through the trouble to do raw feeding so I figured the next best thing was a good grain free dog food. I chose Taste of the Wild as I've heard good things about it.

Well I also heard it would improve coat....don't notice it..but maybe it has....also that they usually eat less of it or need less of it?...Confused as I have been feeding them the same 1 cup per meal 2 meals a day for 2 cups a day total. I haven't noticed if the Male is changing any but the female looks more bony around the ribs as if she isn't getting enough food. I'm paying more for food now and its hard to tell that they are better off. I don't like how i can see her ribs. I thought I was supposed to have to feed them less but feeding the same amount is what lead to this should I feed more...

They are not sticking out a ton but they show more than I would think they should. Should I get a picture to post or anyone have any ideas?
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Showing ribs is ok, showing hip bones is not.
    Different dogs will need different amounts of food, they have different metabolisms. Most people(including vets) are so used to seeing overweight dogs - they think that a fit one is emaciated.

Posting a picture from the side and one looking down on the dog, over it's back will help.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Is the female more active than the male? Have you had her checked for worms lately? Age differences? Breed? There are many possibilities why. Also, as for cost, if you're a member of Costco they have a grain free dog food that's basically the same as Taste of the Wild but less expensive. Made in the same factory even.

Ayla is offline Senior Member
    I'd love to see pictures of your dog, just for fun!

I wanted my little 10 lb. maltese to be a primal wolf, so I fed him Blue Buffalo Wilderness (grain free) for a while. He LOVED eating it, but unfortunately it gave him some anal gland trouble. TMI, but there was lots of scooting involved. I've switched him to Blue Buffalo chicken and rice, which has no corn, wheat, or soy, and he seems to be loving that and no more scooting.
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I am personally getting mixed results with Taste of the Wild myself. I recently transitioned the dogs to a new grain free food to see how that goes (Canidea's newest grain free line). Its way too early to tell the results.

I don't know if it is so much the food, but the individual dogs digestion to a set of particular ingredients. I have two very senior dogs and one hyper middle age dog. While the younger dog is fine weight wise, I have had a harder time keeping weight on the older dogs with TOTW. So I am just going to start going through the different foods until I find one that works for our crew's needs. Like another person mentioned, I might even move over to a meat and rice based option if the grain free ones cannot keep weight on the older dogs.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Why waste money on commercial dog food when you can feed your dog raw meaty(unprocessed) bones? You wouldn't eat garbage out of a bag. Why make your dog do the same? Buford loves whole chickens, beef hearts, soup bones with the marrow... still working on getting him to eat liver though.

His teeth are immaculate from all of the chewing of his food that he has to do.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Its easier?...Not all of have time to shop around so we can get it at a decent price. I don't even own my own car to shop around. You sound a tad judgmental. Whatever I have perfectly good reasons as far as I'm concerned. I'll work on some pictures when I can but the camera I usually have my sister use to take pictures of me which I asked her to take pictures of the dogs with ran out of battery.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardwarehank View Post
    Why waste money on commercial dog food when you can feed your dog raw meaty(unprocessed) bones? You wouldn't eat garbage out of a bag. Why make your dog do the same?.
    Personally, we fed our dogs raw for about 4 years, the husband asked to go back to kibble. They are his dogs in the end, his choice. At 150lbs of meat a month its a lot of work.

We supplement with raw and some cooked meats & veggies with their kibble, but it only makes up about 10-20% of their diet now.

So you never really know the situation.

The cats though have been raw fed 100% for 9 years. The cats had a far more positive reaction to being fed raw over kibble as compared to the dogs. To be honest, I find while the dogs thrived on raw, they also thrived on decent kibble plus. This is coming from someone who is a huge raw advocate.

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    Showing ribs is ok, showing hip bones is not.
    Different dogs will need different amounts of food, they have different metabolisms. Most people(including vets) are so used to seeing overweight dogs - they think that a fit one is emaciated.

Posting a picture from the side and one looking down on the dog, over it's back will help.
    I agree, a pic would be great...

Hip bones absolutely should be easily felt, though, and show slightly. If those hip bones are well padded, the dog is F-A-T.

Depending on your dog's body type (to a degree) as a gauge, this is a very fit little dog:

Last edited by GrokON; 01-22-2012 at 10:51 PM.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

fusji is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So you never really know the situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast