Thread: Let us speak of dehydrators.. page

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member

Let us speak of dehydrators..

so this weekend I broke mine out from way way in the back of the cainet, you know by the 16 cup coffee pot that is never used.. yeah, back there!!

Made some kickin' jerky.. kept it simple coconut aminos and salt and pepper- I'm in the midwest dont-ya-know, I am planning on making some zucc chips next weekend as well.

Tell me, what else do you do?? I do not have any herbs to dehydrate at the moment.. I would like things I could have as go-to's when I get done with my workout. I keep fruit to a minimum, sugar makes me binge crazy.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    Fruit is the easy one, I dehydrate vegetables for camping, they usually need blanching first. Yogurt leather is kind of fun(just spread the yogurt on the fruit leather liner) you can sprinkle chopped nuts or coconut on top. I also dehydrate precooked meals for camping. On the backpacking web sites they talk about dehydrating tunafish and chicken. You cannot dehydrate raw chicken or pork safely. If you go fishing you can marinate and dehydrate fish. I haven't tried it but they recommend pressure cooking chicken in oil(lard or tallow or coconut oil maybe?) and then dehydrating it. The cooking in oil makes it less tough. I've also seen on the backpackers forums where they are dehydrating grated hard cheese(low temp or it melts), cottage cheese and sour cream. Fatty foods don't keep long without being refridgerated or frozen even when dehydrated, they will get rancid. They will keep long enough to go camping or backpacking for a couple of weeks without refridgeration. I've dehydrated stuff pretty regular for the last 15 years or so.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingvildr View Post
    I haven't tried it but they recommend pressure cooking chicken in oil(lard or tallow or coconut oil maybe?) and then dehydrating it.
    I'm pretty sure that I heard that cooking in oil in a pressure cooker is a serious safety hazard. I just got a pressure cooker for Christmas, so I'm new to it, but from what I read, the oil can get way too hot in the pressure cooker and the results can be catastrophic. A quick Google search reveals that there are pressure fryers, but a standard pressure cooker cannot be used for pressure frying.

I have dehydrated sweet potatoes before. Also canned pumpkin mixed with coconut flakes and nuts. They turned out pretty leathery and were best reconstituted. Maybe next time I will dry them less.

Beef heart makes great jerky since it is incredibly lean.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    dehydrated kale chips stay crunchy much longer than the baked ones!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I stand corrected then, I had come across pressure cooking in oil on a backpackers forum, I hadn't really had a chance to research it further. It kind of raised my eyebrows when I first saw it.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    so for the Kale chips.. just put them in the dehydrator?? Do they have to be blanched?? Also, I need a lower sodium jerky. Ideas?
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

War{^@^} is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    so for the Kale chips.. just put them in the dehydrator?? Do they have to be blanched?? Also, I need a lower sodium jerky. Ideas?
    I found this one: cheesy-vegan-kale-chips I would just omit the salt in the recipe.
    Last edited by War{^@^}; 01-24-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD.