Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Advice for rapid weight loss. Intermittent fasting? Multiple WODs? page

  1. #1
    canes84's Avatar
    canes84 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    43

    Advice for rapid weight loss. Intermittent fasting? Multiple WODs?

    Hi everyone! I've been strict paleo (with 3-4 cheat days) for the last two months and have lost 18lbs. I do crossfit so I know I've also put on some muscle. I am a 5'5 female and my starting weight was 180. I'm down to 162. I have about 12-15lbs of fat that I still need to get rid of. I'd like to do this in 2 months. I know some of you are going to tell me that I need to relax and it will happen eventually but I've got something coming up in 60 days and it's really important to me to have it all off. What should I do to speed this up? Intermittent fasting? If so, how/when? Very low carbs? Multiple workouts a day? Any advice is welcome! I need your help

    Thanks in advance!!!

  2. #2
    Sue's Avatar
    Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,368
    15lbs is about 6.8kg so 8 weeks to lose it all is probably do-able. I would calorie restrict, get in the daily cardio (not too much) but the cardio seems to be important for bodybuilders when they are cutting. Not that you are a body builder or even say a fitness model but they know how to get the fat off fast to be competition ready. Keep the protein high, do weights or Crossfit. About 100g of carb and lower fat.

    Did you lose 18lbs in 2 months? How did you do that - it was paleo but what sort of macros. Maybe do the same thing?

  3. #3
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by canes84 View Post
    Hi everyone! I've been strict paleo (with 3-4 cheat days) for the last two months and have lost 18lbs. I do crossfit so I know I've also put on some muscle. I am a 5'5 female and my starting weight was 180. I'm down to 162. I have about 12-15lbs of fat that I still need to get rid of. I'd like to do this in 2 months. I know some of you are going to tell me that I need to relax and it will happen eventually but I've got something coming up in 60 days and it's really important to me to have it all off. What should I do to speed this up? Intermittent fasting? If so, how/when? Very low carbs? Multiple workouts a day? Any advice is welcome! I need your help

    Thanks in advance!!!
    Hate to be negative, but barring unusual situations, it's going to be difficult to lose the last 12-15 in two months.

    Experimentation to find out what works for you, then implementing that is the way to go long term, but if I had to guess for your situation:

    0 cheats(of course)

    A 40hr fast once weekly.

    Calorie and carb cycling around a once a week heavy workout.

    Light workouts before every meal ala the 4 hour body.

    Lots of caffiene.

    10 hours sleep/night.

    Meditation and other stress management to keep stress at an absolute minimum.

  4. #4
    canes84's Avatar
    canes84 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Hate to be negative, but barring unusual situations, it's going to be difficult to lose the last 12-15 in two months.

    Experimentation to find out what works for you, then implementing that is the way to go long term, but if I had to guess for your situation:

    0 cheats(of course)

    A 40hr fast once weekly.

    Calorie and carb cycling around a once a week heavy workout.

    Light workouts before every meal ala the 4 hour body.

    Lots of caffiene.

    10 hours sleep/night.

    Meditation and other stress management to keep stress at an absolute minimum.
    Thanks for the advice Apex! I will give it all a shot. I have a question though. I'm still learning and don't know all of the terminology so what does "calorie and carb cycling" mean?

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Hate to be negative, but barring unusual situations, it's going to be difficult to lose the last 12-15 in two months.

    Experimentation to find out what works for you, then implementing that is the way to go long term, but if I had to guess for your situation:

    0 cheats(of course)

    A 40hr fast once weekly.

    Calorie and carb cycling around a once a week heavy workout.

    Light workouts before every meal ala the 4 hour body.

    Lots of caffiene.

    10 hours sleep/night.

    Meditation and other stress management to keep stress at an absolute minimum.
    Does not compute.

    I agree with almost everything Apex said, but too much caffeine is not good. Especially if looking to keep stress low, one cup of coffee alone makes me anxious and definitely NOT relaxed.

    Keep this in mind: fat loss will be MUCH easier if you are as free as stress as possible. Your fat loss efforts should NOT put you under stress or it will be all for naught.

    I think carb cycling around heavy workouts (low fat+high carb) and IF are the ticket. Definitely check out leangains.com for more. When both are done right they give good results while keeping you free of stress (or free-er than other methods like eating small meals and doing cardio like a monkey).. you get to 'cheat' by eating carbs (good carbs, potatoes, white rice without fat, etc) and you get to also "eat big" which to your brain means "we're NOT restricting our food intake so much, so I can let go of some fat" as opposed to when you eat small meals and your body thinks it's starving.

    I'm not all that disciplined, so I have never stuck to it long enough to notice a difference. Besides, I LOVE the deadly combination of fat and starch. I can only do dry-ish potatoes with lean protein so much... before I drench the whole thing in butter. However, others have had pretty great results with it and on your off days you can enjoy fattier meals, foregoing starch of course.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 01-23-2012 at 07:44 AM.

  6. #6
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Does not compute.

    I agree with almost everything Apex said, but too much caffeine is not good. Especially if looking to keep stress low, one cup of coffee alone makes me anxious and definitely NOT relaxed.

    Keep this in mind: fat loss will be MUCH easier if you are as free as stress as possible. Your fat loss efforts should NOT put you under stress or it will be all for naught.

    I think carb cycling around heavy workouts (low fat+high carb) and IF are the ticket. Definitely check out leangains.com for more. When both are done right they give good results while keeping you free of stress (or free-er than other methods like eating small meals and doing cardio like a monkey).. you get to 'cheat' by eating carbs (good carbs, potatoes, white rice without fat, etc) and you get to also "eat big" which to your brain means "we're NOT restricting our food intake so much, so I can let go of some fat" as opposed to when you eat small meals and your body thinks it's starving.

    I'm not all that disciplined, so I have never stuck to it long enough to notice a difference. Besides, I LOVE the deadly combination of fat and starch. I can only do dry-ish potatoes with lean protein so much... before I drench the whole thing in butter. However, others have had pretty great results with it and on your off days you can enjoy fattier meals, foregoing starch of course.
    You are probably right- I forget that caffiene stresses many people out(it has the opposite effect on me, which is why I forget, it makes me euphoric and de-stresses me immensely, both mentally and physically). It does boost the metabolism nicely if it works for you.

    As far as carb and calorie cycling- you eat more of both around your workout and less farther out.

  7. #7
    canes84's Avatar
    canes84 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    43
    So just an update - 7 of the 8 weeks down and I've lost 11lbs. I think I can lose another 4 this week. However, what I've realized is that every time I set a goal and reach it, I want to set another. I've lost 29lbs since November and won't stop until I have a 6pack

  8. #8
    fiercehunter's Avatar
    fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    the world
    Posts
    1,940
    The IF is great for getting away from fat storage mode some and can get the body fat % down some but only if you are careful- you still need to eat fairly strictly for it to work. Get the dairy out if it causes you problems and be strict about grains and wine etc. I found the daily cardio helps except it can make you hungry.......

  9. #9
    lssanjose's Avatar
    lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tigard, OR
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    You are probably right- I forget that caffiene stresses many people out(it has the opposite effect on me, which is why I forget, it makes me euphoric and de-stresses me immensely, both mentally and physically). It does boost the metabolism nicely if it works for you.

    As far as carb and calorie cycling- you eat more of both around your workout and less farther out.
    I only take in so much coffee, these days. I swear, I need to get myself a shot mug, or something. Because, that's the amount of coffee I only need to get energy, if needed. I thrive better on tea, and espresso (maybe because espresso is more concentrated(?)).

  10. #10
    activia's Avatar
    activia is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Near Boston MA
    Posts
    2,198
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you want to maintain it, I would advice against rapid weight loss.
    Primal since March 2011

    Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •