Thread: HR too low during walk page

mike_h is offline Senior Member

HR too low during walk

Primal Fuel
    So, about this lots of slow moving stuff. I live in a flat area, so even a brisk walk only gets me to about 40% of my maximum heart rate.

Does anyone else find that walking does not get them to the 55-75% Mark recommends? I'm wondering if walking is much less useful if it's so light. I could carry weight I guess?

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I still count it. Today I just did a little mile and a half with my wife and (slow)dog. It was in the sunshine and I was moving. After the AFC championships I plan on doing another walk. You can try jogging to a lightpole and walking to the next and jogging a lightpole etc... to get the heart rate up(I do this on occassion but mostly to stay warm in the summer I hit mountain trails). I too try to get the 55% heartrate but if you can't get it at least half the time you may have to pick up slow jogging, or intervaljogging, or pretend you are hauling a carcass and carry a bag of sand around.

But seriously that kind of deters from t he rejuvinating purpose of a decent walk..
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Walk faster or jog. No issue jogging so long as you don't drive the heart rate too high
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    take a backpack and fill it with books/rocks/bricks, just enough to increase your HR to where you want it during your walk.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Chaloney is offline Member
    Don't take your heart rate monitor on a walk. Just walk. Enjoy it. I believe mark says no higher than 50-75% max, nothing about how low is too low

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaloney View Post
    Don't take your heart rate monitor on a walk. Just walk. Enjoy it. I believe mark says no higher than 50-75% max, nothing about how low is too low
    he says to keep it between 50-75% for long slow distance. For some people that's a moderate level hike, others need to jog to get there.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Don't take your heart rate monitor on a walk. Just walk. Enjoy it.
    I'm just measuring with my watch, no monitor, so it's not something I'm constantly monitoring. Walking can be pretty boring. It's fine if you're somewhere new and scenic, but in reality most of us probably walk within a 10kmē box of where we live most of the time.
    Last edited by mike_h; 01-24-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Maybe heart rate isn't very important and you should just go for walks without worrying about anything because it means you're being active.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!