Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this fish Primal or not? page

Mdgardengirl is offline Junior Member

Is this fish Primal or not?

Primal Fuel
    I am working my way into the Primal lifestyle. Finding good fish seems to be a problem for me. I found this Wild Alaskan fish burger at Costco (frozen) and thought it was pretty safe. Ran the ingredients by some Primal BFF's and got a lot of mixed reaction. So we thought it would be a good question to ask the real experts!!

Manuf: Trident Seafoods, Seattle WA
    Pink and/or Keta Salmon, water, canola oil, contains 2% or less of : Lemon juice, sea salt, ground onion, garlic powder, Spice, natural smoke flavor, natural flavor, veg extractives, color added, parfried in soybean and or canola oil.

1 burger
    1,360 mg Omega-3
    170 calories
    Fat: 9g
    Sat Fat: 1g
    Poly Fat: 3g
    Mono Fat: 4.5g
    Choles: 60mg
    Sodium: 330 mg
    Carbs: 2g
    Protein: 20g

If the Salmon burgers are 98% fish and water..... then is it considered highly processed and not to be used in my Primal food plan?? And what about the "proclaimed" 1,360mg Omega-3's? I assume the canola oil is used as a binder. Does the 80/20 rule apply here?

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    It's not primal, but you can use your 20% here if you want. Primal=one ingredient. (unless you make it yourself)
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Mention Soybean or canola oil and it gets tossed back in the freezer it was displayed in. Just buy canned salmon and make your own salmon patties(I use shredded cocnut as a binder/dryer) and fry in coconut oil or lard.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanccfshr View Post
    Mention Soybean or canola oil and it gets tossed back in the freezer it was displayed in. Just buy canned salmon and make your own salmon patties(I use shredded cocnut as a binder/dryer) and fry in coconut oil or lard.
    Chia seeds are also a good binder.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Why not just buy a salmon steak? I avoid all processed foods like this - nothing with more than 5 ingredients gets into my shopping bag.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdgardengirl View Post
    Pink and/or Keta Salmon, water, canola oil, contains 2% or less of : Lemon juice, sea salt, ground onion, garlic powder, Spice, natural smoke flavor, natural flavor, veg extractives, color added, parfried in soybean and or canola oil.
    Farmed salmon, because if it was wild-caught, they'd boast about it. Soybean and canola oils are not healthy oils and should be avoided, even if eaten unheated. Pan-frying turns them into toxic trans-fats. Natural flavor = MSG. Natural smoke flavor, natural flavor = ? Color added, why?

Overly processed and unhealthy. Not food, IMO.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    salmon patties: canned salmon, eggs, seasoning fry in ghee or if you prefer buttah!!

I want to try some mackerel, but same thing there!!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha View Post
    Farmed salmon, because if it was wild-caught, they'd boast about it. Soybean and canola oils are not healthy oils and should be avoided, even if eaten unheated. Pan-frying turns them into toxic trans-fats. Natural flavor = MSG. Natural smoke flavor, natural flavor = ? Color added, why?

Overly processed and unhealthy. Not food, IMO.
    I think you missed this part
    "I found this Wild Alaskan fish burger at Costco (frozen)"

Otherwise I'd agree they are far from ideal, especially once I noticed the "parfried in soybean and/or canola oil" snuck in at the end

A frozen salmon fillet works as a "burger" quite nicely, and without all that extra crap
    If you watch weekly sales it's possible to get 1lb of fillets for the same price per serving as those costco burgers
    Last edited by Fury; 01-22-2012 at 09:33 PM.

fusji is offline Junior Member
    nice !Soybean and canola oils are not healthy oils and should be avoided, even if eaten unheated.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    It's not primal, but you can use your 20% here if you want. Primal=one ingredient. (unless you make it yourself)
    I completely disagree with your definition - I can buy mixed veggies at the supermarket, or any number of other things that are multi-ingedient, but perfectly reasonable choices. Is that box of cereal primal? No. Is that sauce where the only ingredients are tomatoes, water, peppers, and garlic primal? Close enough for anyone that's not looking to pick bones.

However, I do agree regarding this particular food: "parfried in canola/soybean oil" definitely isn't primal, nor are "spice", "color added", and "natural smoke flavor". Though practically, you could do a lot worse, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast