Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apoe 2/3/4 variants and diet page 2

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dig62 View Post
    What is the bottom line here? My mother has Alzheimer's as do her sisters and her mother had it also. I'm a bit concerned right now as to what my dietary strategy should be to avoid it myself, given that I have already been displaying symptoms of memory loss. Is this test something that doctors perform routinely, or do I need to ask for it myself? Is the paleo diet protective for the Apoe4 gene or do I need to undertake a special diet if I am gene positive?
    Emphasis added. I suggest you watch this video - Low Carb Explained - YouTube - and notice what she said about LCHF and her brain function. I notice I'm sharper, and more emotionally steady with reduced protein (less than I thought I needed - holding at just about the magic .7g/kg weight/day) and keeping my carbs as low as I can manage without worrying too much (generally <20g). The rest of my energy is from fat. And as Peter (Hyperlipid) once said, it can be from butter or your butt!

Russ C is offline Junior Member

Heart Brain dilemma indeed seems the nub of it

Quote Originally Posted by Dracil View Post
    b) If your brain is already not getting enough saturated fat, wouldn't reducing saturated fats just make it worse?
    I agree this is the nub of it. I posted an inquiring thread over at Paleohacks that led to some very interesting discussion which you might find educational.

FWIW, don't know that I can prove it (yet), but I continue to move forward with hypothesis that APOE4's need to keep cholesterol and sat fats high, but inflammation & oxidation low.

Russ C is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    This seems to give rise to a number of issues. One that really strikes me is this. Is it not medical malpractice to prescribe statins to someone with the ApoE4 allele? Or to someone whose ApoE genotype hasn't been established?
    My Dad just lost his battle which I strongly believe the evidence indicates precisely this causative relationship. However, I don't see how we can charge malpractice to professionals following best current practice. I do hope that one day this is indeed the case. I do think there's a stronger case against those that make and promote statins as this line of inquiry is not only supported by evidence, but some pretty good first-principle logic.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

Dr. Steven Gundry Podcast of interest

Quote Originally Posted by Dig62 View Post
    What is the bottom line here? My mother has Alzheimer's as do her sisters and her mother had it also. I'm a bit concerned right now as to what my dietary strategy should be to avoid it myself, given that I have already been displaying symptoms of memory loss. Is this test something that doctors perform routinely, or do I need to ask for it myself? Is the paleo diet protective for the Apoe4 gene or do I need to undertake a special diet if I am gene positive?
    35: Dr. Steven Gundry | High-Fat Diets: Good vs. Bad | Jimmy Moore Presents: Ask The Low-Carb Experts

According to Gundry which was touted as an expert on fats...a 3/4 or 4/4 means animal fats in particular may be a bad idea.

BRAIN GUT 6: EPI-PALEO Rx | Living an Optimized Life

This without the animal foods or with less of them might be a good idea if you have a 3/4 or 4/4. Fish because of the limited saturated fat is still a good choice. Also saturated fats from coconut and red palm would be good choices.

Plant sources of saturated fat seem to be the preferred fats if he is correct. I haven't read the whole thread...so many someone already mentioned it if this is all old news sorry :P.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Chupo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just got my results from 23andme. I'm ApoE 2/3. From what I've read, we take longer to clear fat from the blood but we are also slow to convert IDL to LDL. We have more protection from Alzheimer's.

In apo E2 patients, LDL-C levels do not decrease significantly in response to a low fat diet, whereas, paradoxically, the distribution of small dense LDL subclasses tends to increase. At the same time, apo E2 subjects seem to respond well to relative carbohydrate restriction.
    Berkeley HeartLab

If this is the case, LDL-P would also be going up on a low fat diet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12