Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Breakfast Bar Recipe page

Papou is offline Junior Member

Looking for Breakfast Bar Recipe

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm gradually transitioning into the primal lifestyle but am having a tough time giving up my morning bagel. I'm looking for a breakfast bar replacement that I can make in bulk. I want to take one out of the freezer everyday for breakfast.

Anyone have any good recipe recommendations?

George

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    How about cake?!

Seriously, I dont know exactly what you want from a breakfast, but my Mum is losing weight and wanted a tasty, yet low carb meal to satisfy her.

I developed protein cake which she makes in a mug every morning, takes 2 mins.... but I supose you could match bake it

One egg, in a mug with one 30g scoop of whatever protein flavour you like, microwave for a minute or so will make a cake alternative.

However this will be a little dry, I prefer to go 50% protein powder, and 50% almond flour. By increase teh fat content you make the cake less dry.

Feel free to add cocoa, sweetener, a mashed banana or whatever! The principle is always one egg plus flour replacement in a mug heres one I amde earlier:

www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    How about a big ol' sausage? That would be better...

But if you instist. I haven't made any breakfast bars myself, really...but there are quite a few recipes online. Here are two that sounds delicious: Mutritious Nuffins: Nourishing Protein Bars 1.1 and Almond Butter Breakfast / Energy Bars; Paleo/Primal-friendly, Grain free, Gluten free primalprairiecupboard
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

sunshine0325 is offline Junior Member
    I've tried a ton of different combinations of the "cake" rockstareddy mentioned and now I have it pretty much every day. My favorite is to mix chocolate protein powder with 1 egg, 1/2 banana and 1- 2 tbsp of coconut milk. To top it, I cover it with just a little bit of melted butter & honey. Oh my goodness!

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine0325 View Post
    I've tried a ton of different combinations of the "cake" rockstareddy mentioned and now I have it pretty much every day. My favorite is to mix chocolate protein powder with 1 egg, 1/2 banana and 1- 2 tbsp of coconut milk. To top it, I cover it with just a little bit of melted butter & honey. Oh my goodness!
    That sounds so gross ... chocolate eggs? But I'll have to give it a try.

Here is a protein bar I occasionally make for a breakfast replacement.

Base:
    16oz jar of peanut butter, almond butter or any of the nut butters.
    3/4 cup of whey protein (I use vanilla but what ever flavor you like)
    2 tsp honey

Extras:
    I use about 1/2 cup, mix and match!
    dried fruits (cranberries, strawberries, cherries, etc)
    cacao nibs
    dark choco chips

Drain the excess oil from the top of the peanut butter. Empty into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until the peanut butter is nice and warm and melted. Usually 1-2 min.

Stir 1/2 cup of protein powder and all the honey in to the peanut butter. It should start to thicken up and become dough like. Add the last 1/4 cup of protein powder and knead by hand to work in. It should have the consistency of a dry dough. You might need to add a bit more protein powder depending on how you like it.

Let the mixture rest until it is cool to the touch. If the mixture is too warm, the chocolate will melt and the dried fruit might get a bit slimy.

Fold in your extras.

Cover a cutting board with wax paper and press the mixture down until it is about 1/2 inch thick.
    Place in the fridge for a few hours until cold, then remove and cut into whatever size you like. I use a pizza cutter and cut into 1 inch by 4 inch bars and then individually wrap them in saran wrap. Store in the fridge.

Bob

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    I made the "protein cake" with vanilla protein powder, egg and fresh strawberries, it was actually really good!

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobthePhotoGuy View Post
    Here is a protein bar I occasionally make for a breakfast replacement.
    That sounds good but isn't it a gooey mess when finished?

Quote Originally Posted by denasqu View Post
    That sounds good but isn't it a gooey mess when finished?
    Add more protein powder.

It is get a bit greasy/oily feeling. Maybe rolling it in coconut or almond flour (just thought of that, have to try it)?

Bob

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobthePhotoGuy View Post
    Maybe rolling it in coconut or almond flour (just thought of that, have to try it)?

Bob
    I'm going to try it rolled in shredded coconut. Sound like an afternoon snack to me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast