Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convincing the family page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

Convincing the family

Shop Now
    Hey,

In the past few months or so, maybe even a year I tried to convince my parents to change our diet, and it worked but partially. My mom usually listens, yet my dad hates the whole idea.

I thought of it from his point of view: He sees me as a 17 and a half year old teenager who goes after "new age" crap and tries to convince him that conventional nutrition is wrong. I get that. Though I spent most of my free time in reading more and more info and researching this issue, and it's quite annoying that he takes it so lightly. On the food side, he's quite alright, he agrees with me but doesn't seem to try and take it to the next level-actually doing something about it.

Recently I talked to him about the shit that's in our industrialized soaps, cleaning material and so on.
    He got pissed and told me that he doesn't like me going around and "changing things" in his house.
    Though, I do know that most conventional soaps, shampoos, laundry soaps and so on are horrible, and they cause us irritations. Me especially, my skin seems to be very sensitive to such things and materials.
    So we tried buying things which were more "natural", and obviously they cost more money, so that's definitely a problem. I am aware of the fact that I can make those materials myself and actually save money, but he's a busy man, and so is my mom.. and I can't buy the materials myself, so we're left with buying the more expensive stuff.

What would you advice?
    I thought of showing him some evidence, so I'd really like if you people can give me some links to those kinda things, mainly cleaning materials, food links are less of a problem.

Thanks!!!

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Hey buddy, I hear your problem, my family doesnt follow it either, although they dont appear to be as hostile as yours.

the truth is, alot of the older generation just don't like change. My advice would be to stop trying to convince them to change. Focus on making the changes you can make to your own diet.

In terms of evidence, it really depends what your trying to show. You wanna sell the concept? get the book? you wanna show that fat doesnt clog arteries? There are articles for that. But even if you figure out what you want to prove, is any amount of proof gonna convinve your dad to change his ways?

People can only really motivate themselves to change, yes it can be sparked externally, but on some level they need to embrace the idea, because they recognise the benefits they are going to get out it.

In terms of cost, primal doesnt have to be expensive. There are loads of pages about budget primal about.

For the wash/shower products etc. i find avoidance is more powerful than cleaner alternatives... I mean, only use the minimal amount of stuff you have to. If you got a good diet, a few pollutants in soap will be ok for your body to deal with. I personally wash only with water, and rub my skin with a sponge. (brushing off the dead skin cells and dirt at he same time). My diets fiarly clean so my body doesnt pump toxins out of skin and I dont smell etc. I use regular toothpaste, just not too much and never swallow, I could go on with these details but you get the picture.

below are my links to budget student paleo tips and issues for teens

healthfreakrevolution.com/?p=141
    healthfreakrevolution.com/?p=160
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Drlove is offline Senior Member
    Thanks a lot for the comment.
    Don't get me wrong, they're not THAT hostile. My mom and dad actually listen when it comes to saturated fat and so. The major problem is that they don't seem to care all that much. My dad seems to be pissed off mainly at the wash/shower products, and laundry etc.. because it seems too "weird" for him to change. I will try and minimize for now, but laundry-wise it's still a problem. We wear those clothes for so many hours at a time, and wash them quite frequently, and we can't quite use "less" laundry gell/powder.

I'm certainly gonna look into the whole budget thing though.

Thanks a lot!!

phreebie is offline Senior Member
    I think the rinse cycle on most modern machines is pretty good. Maybe you could put your clothes through an extra rinse cycle before they're dried. Come to that, maybe you could do your own laundry with your own products?

You say you can make the products yourself, so you could try making them and keeping them separate. Most bathrooms I've seen have different products for everyone in the family.

I don't see how they could complain too much. I'm sure they'd appreciate the help with the laundry, and worst would consider the shower products a quirk. When they see how well it works it might even motivate them more to change.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I think oftentimes many parents hear these suggestions and feel criticized. They try hard to provide their kids with the best and the the kid turns around and tells them that they've chosen inferior food, household products, etc. Not surprised they're a bit touchy even though I agree with where you're coming from. Your dad may be feeling like he busted his ass for the last two decades of his life putting you ahead of everything else in his life and now you're telling him he didn't do good enough.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I find I can use much less detergent than what it says on the box. And I stopped using fabric softener.

As for convincing family, I put together a post, mostly from stuff I read here.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Get your family the book, "Wheat Belly" by Dr. Davis.
    Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight

This is your only hope to change the older generation who have been brain washed their entire lives.

Grizz

jammies is offline Senior Member
    When I was your age I preached to my parents about the cure-all of low fat/low sodium eating all the while I was getting fatter and sicker. I think it can be hard to take advice for teenagers, no matter how well read you may be

Eat how you choose to and let them see your results. No preaching will be required - they'll ask for your input then.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I think oftentimes many parents hear these suggestions and feel criticized. They try hard to provide their kids with the best and the the kid turns around and tells them that they've chosen inferior food, household products, etc. Not surprised they're a bit touchy even though I agree with where you're coming from. Your dad may be feeling like he busted his ass for the last two decades of his life putting you ahead of everything else in his life and now you're telling him he didn't do good enough.
    This is very true. You have to think it of things from their point of view too.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

billp is offline Senior Member
    You can't convince your own parents about anything. Ultimately they changed your nappies and your "spouting some health freak stuff" is no more interesting to them than when you were three and wanted to live on biscuits. My advice is not to bother. Try to live as you see fit, but trying to convert anyone else is basically pointless. If you lead by example maybe some people, you parents too maybe, will follow you. Or maybe not. It's not your problem.

In a few years (or months!) you will be leaving home and living independently. You can do what you like then. In the mean time you are under their roof and have to confirm to their norms.
    Last edited by billp; 01-23-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast