Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Months Primal - Blood Test Results page

ChiChi is offline Junior Member

3 Months Primal - Blood Test Results

Shop Now
    53 year old white woman. First listed Blood test results below measured December 2010 while eating low fat, low calorie and relatively high carb. Second numbers in January 2012 - after eating primal for 3 months (about 90% compliance I'd say)

CHOL - 202//241
    TRIG - 102//49
    HDL - 48//66
    LDL - 134//165
    VLDL-20//10
    Chol/HDL ratio: 4.2/3.7

I think these results are pretty good if I interpreted them correctly. The only problem I have now is that my thyroid is completely out of whack again (hypo). TSH in Dec 2010 was 1.609 and in January the number is 14.734 - time to up the synthroid.

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    Did you have your TSH test after fasting? I just learned that your TSH can be way high if a fasting test is done.

Yes, I did a 14 hour fast - and that has been the norm for the testing on my TSH. I will get another thyroid test next month.

I'm guessing that due to my hypothyroid issues that this could be why my weight isn't dropping much. Clothes fit different but considering how I'm eating, it should have been dropping off!

At least I haven't gained... I was concerned that my diet change interfered with my thyroid issues, but I'm thinking it's a separate thing all together.

EileenC is offline Junior Member
    Many, many people have problems with synthroid. I suggest you peruse Things We Have Learned | Stop The Thyroid Madness and see if a change to natural dessicated thyroid hormone might be better for you. Synthroid just put more weight on me; it wasn't until I got off it that weight started coming off.

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    Those are good improvements! well, except the thyroid... Synthroid is synthetic T4 but if you aren't converting the T4 into the active T3, then it won't help much. That was my case. I had to go on T3, aka Cytomel or Liothyroinine, and that made a big difference. I also eat at least 30-35 carb grams per day which helps T3 uptake, as well as eating a couple brazil nuts each week for the selenium. Iodine is also necessary for uptake, but I think I get enough of that in the seafoods eaten once or twice a week, and a sprinkling of salt here and there. All your other markers are showing great improvement! How do you feel?

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    Try taking some kelp tablets. That seems to clear up a fair percentage of people's thyroid issues. When people eat paleo, they often drop salt out, and you lose your iodine. Kelp tablets put it back in.

Quote Originally Posted by EileenC View Post
    Many, many people have problems with synthroid. I suggest you peruse Things We Have Learned | Stop The Thyroid Madness and see if a change to natural dessicated thyroid hormone might be better for you. Synthroid just put more weight on me; it wasn't until I got off it that weight started coming off.
    Interesting stuff! Can't say I have had problems with synthroid specifically, as when my levels were fine I dropped 40 pounds while on it. Over the last 4 to 5 months, I've been getting headaches and felt sluggish, cranky from time to time and been very clumsy. Weird thing is after going primal I began to feel much better and those symptoms diminished. Then the blood tests came back. I don't know what to think about all of this stuff now!

Quote Originally Posted by GoLisaGo View Post
    Those are good improvements! well, except the thyroid... Synthroid is synthetic T4 but if you aren't converting the T4 into the active T3, then it won't help much. That was my case. I had to go on T3, aka Cytomel or Liothyroinine, and that made a big difference. I also eat at least 30-35 carb grams per day which helps T3 uptake, as well as eating a couple brazil nuts each week for the selenium. Iodine is also necessary for uptake, but I think I get enough of that in the seafoods eaten once or twice a week, and a sprinkling of salt here and there. All your other markers are showing great improvement! How do you feel?
    I actually felt great after going primal...
    LOL... Until those thyroid tests popped up and told me I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalest View Post
    Try taking some kelp tablets. That seems to clear up a fair percentage of people's thyroid issues. When people eat paleo, they often drop salt out, and you lose your iodine. Kelp tablets put it back in.
    Thanks! I will look into the kelp tabs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast