Thread: Coconut oil/butter & energy (NOT good before bedtime) page

Rhyming_Orange is offline Junior Member
    NYC & Western NC (but usually on a plane)

Coconut oil/butter & energy (NOT good before bedtime)

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I've been eating Primal for the past few weeks, and this past week I made some homemade coconut butter using NomNomPaleo's recipe (Homemade Coconut Butter | Nom Nom Paleo - it's AMAZING). I already use 1-2 T. of coconut oil most days for cooking, and I've been adding in about 2T. of the coconut butter to end one of my meals. With this change I've seen two very clear changes in my body:

1) The weight has been falling off of me more than in the past (about .5 lbs a day this week; and yes, I'm weighing myself right now because I'm curious about how different foods are affecting things - chalk it up to research)

2) If I have coconut oil/butter in the evenings, I have a hard time sleeping through the night. I usually want to wake up about 6 hours after going to bed and I've got tons of energy.

I know that people have very different experiences with coconut products, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this effect. (BTW, my nutrient profiles for the day are generally 65% fat, 25% protein, 10% carb) I know that there is research out there about medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) which supports what I'm seeing (and I'm certainly not suggesting it's some miracle cure), but I was interested in personal experiences.

Thanks!
    Ali B.

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    I so wish I had this experience. Without fail, I gain weight when I include any coconut in my diet. I'm pretty sure I'm allergic, but who knows. If you are having this result, embrace it and eat double the coconut goodness on my behalf.