Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IBS, Food Obsession, Eating Disorder page 3

Byakko is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    HillsideGina: Wow...some of this stuff is scary (on the conventional medicine side of things)...and a tad confusing. But thanks for linking. I will definitely read through this. Hopefully I won't have too tough a time understanding the stats etc.
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

healthy11 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Bone stocks are very healing to the gut and nutritious
    I would also add some sauerkraut, but not just any kind on the shelf. Look for Bubbies or something at your local co-op. Whenever I have a stomach ache that's what I eat. Sounds like your gut needs some good live enzymes and probiotics.

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    I am convinced that my longstanding IBS was caused/aggravated by continuous exposure to gluten and lactose. Once I removed those two things, it immediately got better. Also, agree with the recommendation to do a good 1 to 2 week course of high quality probiotics, and digestive enzymes with meals until your gut heals.

The sad, SAD thing is that 30 years ago when my Dr. first uttered the phrase IBS to me, his "treatment" was: no raw foods, and drink a glass of milk with a couple saltine crackers to "settle" my stomach. I would do that, the pain and bloating would get to a point where I would just drink water for days and then it would subside. I've spent a lot of wasted time with pain that was unnecessary, all I needed to do was eliminate gluten and lactose.
    There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
    Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

I have to say I am a bit frustrated the site doesn't give an outline of a healthy meal plan (well not a plan but a sample of what a IBS friendly diet would consist of.) But then I haven't looked too deeply into his nutritional pages.

Sometimes the idea of only eating 2-3 meals is challenging because I've heard and read the same old thing of "eat 5-6 small meals a day!" crap. But I think if we stopped eating food that made us hungry and gave us cravings all the damn time, perhaps we wouldn't feel the need to consume all through the day. Why should I have a midday snack if breakfast was power packed to keep me going for a longer time. I really think if I was hungry I should just eat.

I have an appointment to see a allergy doctor. I know those tests aren't always accurate but at least I can say I tried. Perhaps what I need is a nutritionist (which is what I've always wanted to go to). It's the planning of meals and rounding out nutritional needs that I need assistance with.

So enzymes and probiotics are recommended by a number of people. Any recommendations? At one time my mom thought I should try that...Alli or whatever it's called. But I was paranoid about it giving me an upset stomach or having a laxative effect.
    F|26yr|5'3"

threelions is offline Junior Member
    As someone who suffered with colitis for a couple of years I can't recomend the SCD(Specific Carbohydrate Diet)diet highly enough.

Breaking the Vicious Cycle - The Specific Carbohydrate Diet

It is based on pretty sound science about digestion and worked so well I came off all meds and have been clear of all symptoms for years now. It's not something you have to be on for ever either I used it for two years till I felt fully healed then switched to Paleo.

The site has a beginners guide and a legal and illegal list. All you have to do is eat things on the legal list and your fine to go. There's plenty of recipe books on Amazon and you can google free ones too if you need meal ideas.

Korga is offline Member
    here is a very helpful online Forum for IBS
    Sign In - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
    Particularly check out the 'diet' section.

threelions: Illegal: Chocolate

...*dies*

Actually I used to be allergic to chocolate as a kid. It would make me break into itchy bumps. But thankfully I got over that. I stopped eating milk chocolate and turned to dark chocolate...but I guess it's still really caffeinated.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Uh guys quick question.

I have an appointment to see a allergy doctor regarding what foods I might be allergic to...next Thursday.

Now, somehow I feel that this would not put much of a spot light on things unlikely to be considered (like certain "healthy" foods that may cause problems.)

Would it be wiser and more advantageous to see a nutritionist or dietitian than to shell out money just so someone can test me for food allergies? I feel like an allergy doctor isn't going to be able to help me too much. I'd like someone to really take into account my personal situation and help me learn to plan meals suited for my own needs. I think for the most part, yes, avoiding grains, dairy and sugar would be good. But there are times that I eat other things and still get constipated or pains or whatever. Are nutritionists/dietitians able to help more with food sensitivity and do they have the means/knowledge to also test things like blood sugar and all that? Because so far, I don't have sudden violent reactions to foods like those with peanut allergies do or if I did it comes and goes and it's hard to pin point what does and doesn't bother me.

So...

Nutritionist/dietitian OR allergy doctor?
    F|26yr|5'3"

Uh guys quick question.

I have an appointment to see a allergy doctor regarding what foods I might be allergic to...next Thursday.

Now, somehow I feel that this would not put much of a spot light on things unlikely to be considered (like certain "healthy" foods that may cause problems.)

Would it be wiser and more advantageous to see a nutritionist or dietitian than to shell out money just so someone can test me for food allergies? I feel like an allergy doctor isn't going to be able to help me too much. I'd like someone to really take into account my personal situation and help me learn to plan meals suited for my own needs. I think for the most part, yes, avoiding grains, dairy and sugar would be good. But there are times that I eat other things and still get constipated or pains or whatever. Are nutritionists/dietitians able to help more with food sensitivity and do they have the means/knowledge to also test things like blood sugar and all that? Because so far, I don't have sudden violent reactions to foods like those with peanut allergies do or if I did it comes and goes and it's hard to pin point what does and doesn't bother me.

So...

Nutritionist/dietitian OR allergy doctor?
    F|26yr|5'3"

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Food allergy testing at an MD will probably be the skin test type that will identify IgE responses (true allergies). If you have a food intolerance it will not show up on that test. There are some blood based IgG food intolerance tests available, but I'm not sure how helpful they are. I had one years ago. It did identify eggs and oats which I was intolerant of, but missed most of the big ones and listed tons of foods I feel fine when I eat.

Personally, I found food elimination diets to work best for me. It is a long, slow, tedious process - in fact, I think there are probably a few things I am still missing, but overall it is helpful.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast