Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IBS, Food Obsession, Eating Disorder page 2

Byakko is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thank you all for replying.

I developed IBS from stress I believe. There was a situation in my family that greatly upset me and after that I started to have problems. I couldn't even eat two bites of breakfast without going to the bathroom and at night I'd make multiple trips (even though I'm mainly IBS-C). It wasn't until the doctor gave me some medication for it that I was able to eat through out the day without having to use the bathroom so much. (Though I'm wondering if the medication is giving me the constipation.) I can't say I'm happy to take these pill every morning and night. I was also prescribed sleeping pills (that go under my tongue) for an attack at night. I'd get nauseous and really bad cramps.

Most of the time I don't consciously worry or feel stress, but I'm sure I am stressed without even knowing it. I have a lot of problems going on in my life atm and I yet to find any solutions to them. Things like school debt and being dependent on my parents when I should be on my own. And of course IBS itself will sometimes stress me out.

I will try the diary idea, though that won't always be an indicator. Like I said before. I've eaten things more than once. I've had times when I did get a reaction from eating..say...ice cream and other times when I ate the ice cream it didn't bother me...(at least not right away.) So it's weird...
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I'd be wary of the pills that the docs prescribed.

Sounds like stress is a major factor for you. Go easy on yourself and focus on spending more time on the pursuits that you enjoy and find fulfilling and relaxing. You need to put yourself first right now. I bet you are a victim of economic circumstance.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

It's hard but I'm trying (I try to do yoga, which I like in general.)

My condition started before the economic collapse, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't helped my stress levels.

People seem to swear by the elimination diet but how can I eliminate food when I don't really have a starting point? What I mean is, I have food confusion". I try to eat healthy but often times if I'm confused about what to prepare I eat whatever. So somehow I need to get a normal diet going again before I can begin to cut things away. I think I deprive myself and then I start bingeing like crazy. I admit I'm a binge eater. The Paleo/Primal eating was rather overwhelming for me and although I got the gist and tried to make changes, I was unable to keep it up for a whole week. That led me to get obsessive about the things my mother brought into the house and what she cooked with and then I realized I was the one who had to cook the food if I wanted to be satisfied that it was all free of sugar, artificial crap and grains. But of course, I still remained confused.

So I think that's when I sort of imploded. I'm now suffering a bout of diarrhea (which I'm pretty sure is not a bug because it only really happen near bed time.) And I'm also pretty sure it may have little do with with eating bad food. It may be because of not eating enough, eating the wrong foods or stress or even a combination of both.

Unfortunately I'm still finding it hard to eat because I'm afraid of aggravating the pain. Right now I'm drinking water and eating a banana (I woke up late) and that's all I've had so far.
    F|26yr|5'3"

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    If you see a nutritionist and tell them you want to avoid grains, they can give you a guideline on an elimination diet with common allergen culprits cut out (and you can avoid grains, they always cut out wheat anyway), and how to reintroduce them. A nutritionist is not about to encourage the really bad stuff (sugar and artificial "crap") anyway, so it may help to have a set of rules so to speak. But ultimately it's up to you to find your motivation and commit.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

It sounds like a tall order following paleo/primal and trying an elimination diet. It's going to be easier to focus on the elimination diet first. In particular, you're going to find it very difficult eating low carbs and worrying about macronutrient ratios with IBS.

There's a list of recommended foods that are rarely allergenic to eat on an elimination diet, which is pretty much a subset of primal foods, plus white rice. The idea is you eat those foods for a few days, and once your symptoms improve you introduce one by one significant quantities of the foods that you suspect might be causing your symptoms and see what happens. It's best to focus on the most commonly allergenic foods first, i.e. wheat, dairy, shellfish, pork, eggs, peanuts, soya, yeast, citrus, deadly nightshade, other legumes.

I was amazed and horrified to learn I was intolerant to tomatoes, which gave me diarrhoea, but I just hadn't made the connection. I found this easier to identify after I had identified and eliminated wheat as a problem. One clue is that you will often find addictive the foods to which you have the strongest reaction. Any obvious symptoms may not arise until hours after ingesting the food. However, within 10 minutes of eating a food that you react to, your body temperature will rise and your heart rate will rise by about 10 beats per minute.

And - gah! - if you replace one food with a similar one, e.g. I replaced wheat with rye, it is likely you will see a remission of symptoms, only for them gradually return because your body has started to react to the replacement food. For me this happened with rye, then corn.

I've learnt the hard way. Thus even though I feel no symptoms after consuming bell peppers and white potato, I rarely eat them because I know I'm intolerant of tomatoes and aubergines in the same family.

Also consider histamine intolerance and differing sensitivity to foods at different times of the day as confounding factors. Ingested histamine can amplify symptoms or be a cause of symptoms.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

theffler is offline Junior Member
    I have a lot of digestive/intestinal issues - had a total colectomy 7 years ago and have struggled with similar issues. I understand you are on a tight budget, but I would highly recommend you add two very important supplements before even worrying about what specific food is causing the issue. The first is a PROBIOTIC. Most likely, your intestinal flora has been destroyed and a probiotic will help to rebuild that. It must be a good quality and at a theraputic dose of 14 billion or more. The second suggestion is to take a digestive enzyme with every meal. This will help you to digest the fats and proteins much better, and get better absorption of the nutrients. Then, definitely eliminate dairy and grains, especially gluten! If you do these alone, you very well might see improvements within a week or less!!

namelesswonder: It's not much a matter of motivation or committing...it's a matter of getting a working plan together.

paleo-bunny: Thanks a lot for replying to my thread.

I have to say the foods I crave the most tend to be grains (pasta, bread, cake etc) dairy, (ice cream, yogurt, cheese) and sugar (For most of my life I'd eaten Cheerios for breakfast..and that was way before I got IBS, but I think that was stress-induced anyway.)

And yes, I rarely get an immediate reaction which has made it hard to pin point things. If I get sick it usually occurs at night which is damn annoying. Sometimes I make my self stay up because I'm afraid of even trying to sleep. Not good I know. I do have to fix that.

ATM I'm eating two pieces of (refined bread) toast because I read it's good to eat for diarrhea. I'd rather not be eating it thought knowing it could also be part of the problem. Maybe white rice would be better? But I have to eat something! God I feel like I'm insane. I want to eat, but I'm afraid to and I never know what to do. I shouldn't be this stressed about food, which is a basic necessity.

What I'm not liking is the resistance I'm getting from my family. On one hand I have a grandmother who believes anything can be solved by popping a pill and that I shouldn't worry about what I eat and that a little sugar won't hurt. And on the other hand I have a mother who feels sorry for me but doesn't seem to want to believe that food does have a big influence on health. She seems to think I'm overreacting in wanting to change what I eat. My parents and brother all eat horribly. My dad, who has a rather stressful job, always develops some kind of vice. First it was smoking cigars, then chewing tobacco now it's candy. There must be 3-4 different boxes of cookies in the cabinet and other candy. They consume soda, kool-aid and other fake beverages and my mother is a picky eater, yet she complains of joint and muscle problems.

So...I'm aggravated. I wonder...if I can get an official declaration from a doctor, maybe they'll take things seriously, but I hate that it may come to that. I want to know but I also want them to know that it's true. My dad is allergic to tomatoes (and he will also react to some red dyes in candy...though that doesn't stop him eating the sweets) and my mother has made changes for him when it comes to recipes. But it feels like it's not worth it to change for me because it's far more drastic and not easy to pin point. When I told her I wanted to go paleo/primal I could feel her resistance right away.

Kind of hard to eat right when the majority of foods she brings in are unhealthy (and trust me if I had my own job and money coming in this wouldn't be as big an issue.) In fact whenever she goes shopping I see more snack foods than actual meal items (ex. veggies) I was hoping to become a source of motivation/inspiration to get healthy, but all they see is that I'm neurotic and paranoid about food/health. But who could blame me? I don't like being in pain or being tired or overweight.

Sorry to rant, but I'm kind of depressed atm.
    F|26yr|5'3"

No problem. Yes, given what you crave, you should eliminate all dairy and grains immediately as theffler suggests. I also suggest eliminating deadly nightshade as your father reacts to tomato (eliminate aubergine, peppers, chilli, white potatoes).

I recommend white rice and sweet potatoes for starch every day. As you feel safe with bananas, eat a few a day. They have quite a bit of starch and the potassium will help keep your electrolytes up if you have an upset tummy (I think you are intuitively self-medicating).

If you have to eat bread, yes, white bread is best. Don't worry too much about the sugar in the short term. Maybe try a bit of honey instead.

When you are being very restrictive, try to eat plenty of very nutrient dense foods like sweet potatoes, oily fish, olive oil, broccoli, red onions. It's safest to eat simple foods and avoid any packaged foods and sauces which have a lot of ingredients you may react to. Eating simple food also puts less strain on your digestive system. If your meal only contains 4-8 individual fresh ingredients that's ideal.

If you like eggs I would not eliminate they yet but they have to be considered.

I suggest having bananas or boiled eggs or both for breakfast each day.

Other good meals include a sweet potato smothered with coconut oil with a steak or other meat. It's hard to make any further recommendations without knowing where you live and the local cuisine, and whether there is any scope for persuading your mother to allow you to cook for yourself. I think that is worth addressing so you can gain more control.

I've only been on the coconut oil for 10 days, but I feel the benefit already and it is great for the immune system, and yours is obviously under stress.

I've been through exactly what you're describing with resistance from family and friends. I find it is often much more stressful than coping with the symptoms themselves, because it is a rejection of what you are going through, and can be extremely difficult to cope with emotionally. Of course, this stress exacerbates symptoms. It's hard to believe that your mother is so incredulous about your food intolerances given that your father has a food allergy. Allergies and intolerances often run in the family - they do in mine. Still my mother has been incredulous many a time and it's been a power struggle when eating with her. Fortunately, I've been able to cook for myself while identifying my food intolerances, and not been too stretched on my budget, but cost is a consideration for me.

What I really gets my goat is the 'Oh everyone gets bloating from eating wheat... blah blah blah' from people who have obviously never suffered any serious symptoms. And I can see the cogs whirring in their facial expression, labelling me as a hypochondriac. This can put me right off a person when I meet them for the first time ... and has put a massive strain on existing relationships. I don't want to explain all the symptoms I get because some are quite personal and often it's a case of a general malaise. I'm very sick and tired of not wanting to have to explain again to someone who's unwilling to understand.

I've had very bad experiences with doctors dismissing my symptoms (that's in the UK), so I'd only consult a doctor with very low expectations. Doing your own research on the Internet can be very empowering, but it's easy for me to say that as I have a biochemistry degree, which makes it so much easier.

If you want to PM me, please feel free.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-23-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks for the suggestions.
    (PMed you.)
    F|26yr|5'3"

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Read this entire page: Gutsense.org: IBS

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast