Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone successfully made a paleo vanilla latte? page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

Has anyone successfully made a paleo vanilla latte?

Shop Now
    So I'm trying to get my mom to switch to paleo eating as she has a ton of migraines and fatigue. She can't live without her vanilla latte though. I realize she needs better willpower, but for the time being, does anyone have a good recipe for a vanilla latte with one of the alternative milks (coconut milk, almond, hemp, etc)?

I have tried with store bought almond milk and it was not good. Have tried with coconut milk and it had a very watery taste to it..and of course the coconut overpowered it.

I am going to try to make my own almond milk and see how that tastes after it gets steamed and has a shot of espresso in it. Not holding out hope though.

I'm just curious if anyone has successfully found a good milk replacement in lattes. I've googled a few recipes and they didn't taste well. I'm not expecting it to taste exactly like a latte but close would be nice.
    Thanks for any tips guys!

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I'd probably give in and just find some good quality full fat milk - unless you think that's what's causing her problems. She can wean off of it later. It can be her 20%

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    I really don't like almond milk with coffee (tastes really bad to me), but good fatty coconut makes coffee scrumptious. But if you don't like that either...perhaps try raw cream with vanilla extract?
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Make it with heavy whipping cream.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Bulletproof coffee, maybe? Perhaps yours will turn out better than mine. *shudder*

Ms Whatsit is offline Junior Member
    I use a good quality full fat coconut milk from a can. (Note, if it tastes bad, throw it out and try a different brand, there are some nasty tasting products on the market--Do NOT settle for any that isn't delicious.) The stuff from a carton is usually too thin.

I have also had some success thinning out smooth almond butter with hot water (incorporated slowly a little at a time) to make a thick-ish almond milk that isn't bad in coffee. I'm hoping to try it with hazelnut butter in the future...I love a good hazelnut latte.

I think the previous suggestion of full fat dairy cream might be the best if she isn't allergic to it. I'm sensitive to casein--milk protein, but there isn't much of that in cream so I indulge once in awhile. There is nothing more awesome than real cream in your coffee.

I have also found, in addition to vanilla, that sweet spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger are great in lattes and helpful when I'm cutting back on the sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by alg2435 View Post
    I really don't like almond milk with coffee (tastes really bad to me), but good fatty coconut makes coffee scrumptious. But if you don't like that either...perhaps try raw cream with vanilla extract?
    I'd be curious to know if making my own almond milk would make the latte taste better. I might try that...and raw cream might need a go too. Probably will have to water it down a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Whatsit View Post
    I use a good quality full fat coconut milk from a can. (Note, if it tastes bad, throw it out and try a different brand, there are some nasty tasting products on the market--Do NOT settle for any that isn't delicious.) The stuff from a carton is usually too thin.

I have also had some success thinning out smooth almond butter with hot water (incorporated slowly a little at a time) to make a thick-ish almond milk that isn't bad in coffee. I'm hoping to try it with hazelnut butter in the future...I love a good hazelnut latte.

I think the previous suggestion of full fat dairy cream might be the best if she isn't allergic to it. I'm sensitive to casein--milk protein, but there isn't much of that in cream so I indulge once in awhile. There is nothing more awesome than real cream in your coffee.

I have also found, in addition to vanilla, that sweet spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger are great in lattes and helpful when I'm cutting back on the sugar.
    What is your favorite brand of full fat coconut milk? I've tried a few, but only one in a latte. Also, any brands of heavy cream you prefer? I buy some heavy cream (only about 6 oz. or so from my natural market. It is organic, grass fed, but almost $4. I'd rather not spend that much.

MFSUNSHINE Guest
    I would recommend a modified Bulletproof Coffee:

- Coffee
    - ~1 tbsp of Kerrigold butter
    - Heavy whipping cream (as much as you prefer) or coconut milk if there are dairy issues.
    - Vanilla extract
    - PB friendly sweetener if you need it

Whip in a blender until frothy...

Yummy. I think i'll be making some tomorrow morning.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by MFSUNSHINE View Post
    I would recommend a modified Bulletproof Coffee:

- Coffee
    - ~1 tbsp of Kerrigold butter
    - Heavy whipping cream (as much as you prefer) or coconut milk if there are dairy issues.
    - Vanilla extract
    - PB friendly sweetener if you need it

Whip in a blender until frothy...

Yummy. I think i'll be making some tomorrow morning.
    I've never heard of adding butter to a latte. Seems strange. Why is this necessary?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast