Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone successfully made a paleo vanilla latte? page 2

MFSUNSHINE Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's in the original Bulletproof Coffee recipe. Its not necessarily for a "latte".

Recipe: How to Make Your Coffee Bulletproof...And Your Morning Too | The Bulletproof Executive

It gives it a richness and adds to the frothiness (is that a word?). I also like it because it adds some fat/calories and keeps me full...

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    I've never heard of adding butter to a latte. Seems strange. Why is this necessary?
    It's not necessary. It just tastes good. What's butter made out of?

Brent* is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    It's not necessary. It just tastes good. What's butter made out of?
    true, true. I will give it a whirl. Thanks seanM!

Xtremjeepn is offline Junior Member

Cool

Stumbled on this thread this morning while trying to refine my own latte addiction. I've known about this site since I went Paleo over a year ago. Still learning and not an expert by any means. But....Here are a few thoughts for you.

I lived in a very corporate world and loved my Starbucks lattes, bought my own espresso machine and even made them at home everyday. So when I made the transition to Paleo I had to pick and choose my battles.

I tried hemp, almond, hazelnut and coconut milk. Since this was a daily addiction and my last 10% or so of non-Paleo-ness I had to find a fast and easy way to make it, no complicated recipes. (meaning I had to be able to just pour it into the steamer and make a latte quickly)

Okay.....short story long Here are my two tips! 1.Experiment 2. Drink that experiment for a week or so before deciding it's bad!(unless it's REALLY BAD)

I found that some of the milk alternatives simply tasted funny to me *at first* but a week later I actually preferred them over whatever I had been doing before. My favorite at this point is a 1/2 Hazelnut milk 1/2 Coconut milk. Put a dab of cinnamon in and on days I'm not fearing sugar a touch of honey.

I found that as long as I could have my latte it made the rest of the Paleo change very easy. Now, after more than a year I am trying to refine the latte into a heathier or non-existent state. Anyone have a tip on how to make me like hat tea more?
    Last edited by Xtremjeepn; 02-29-2012 at 07:43 AM.

hottierockstar is offline Senior Member
    this thread might give you some ideas/options

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread18090.html

Brent* is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hottierockstar View Post
    this thread might give you some ideas/options

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread18090.html
    Actually sounds pretty good but for some reason I have a hard time eating raw egg. Just the thought of having raw egg for some reason makes me queezy. Should I just buy the highest quality eggs out there to alleviate my fears of any remote chance of getting salmonella poisoning?

Primal Greenie is offline Junior Member
    you could whisk/blend egg whites with hot water first, then blend with remaining ingredients. egg really gives it the latte texture, and nice flavor

Mike H is offline Junior Member
    I use almond milk A LOT, it's store bought though (Blue Diamond is probably my favorite). Some brands don't taste so good with coffee like Silk, so if you tried that brand you might want to try another. As for the migraines, I do believe vanillin (which is extracted from the vanilla bean) can cause migraines in sensitive people.
    So I'm trying to get my mom to switch to paleo eating as she has a ton of migraines and fatigue. She can't live without her vanilla latte though. I realize she needs better willpower, but for the time being, does anyone have a good recipe for a vanilla latte with one of the alternative milks (coconut milk, almond, hemp, etc)?

I have tried with store bought almond milk and it was not good. Have tried with coconut milk and it had a very watery taste to it..and of course the coconut overpowered it.

I am going to try to make my own almond milk and see how that tastes after it gets steamed and has a shot of espresso in it. Not holding out hope though.

I'm just curious if anyone has successfully found a good milk replacement in lattes. I've googled a few recipes and they didn't taste well. I'm not expecting it to taste exactly like a latte but close would be nice.
    Thanks for any tips guys!

Bestill is offline Junior Member
    If Mom likes coconut then don't try and create a vanilla latte, instead say "Mom try this Coconut Vanilla Latte" I used this recently on someone. Instead of trying to sell them on a Paleo recipe I just said its a Coconut Mocha and made it with Paleo ingredients including some nice rich coconut milk. She loved it.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    So I'm trying to get my mom to switch to paleo eating as she has a ton of migraines and fatigue. She can't live without her vanilla latte though. I realize she needs better willpower, but for the time being, does anyone have a good recipe for a vanilla latte with one of the alternative milks (coconut milk, almond, hemp, etc)?

I have tried with store bought almond milk and it was not good. Have tried with coconut milk and it had a very watery taste to it..and of course the coconut overpowered it.

I am going to try to make my own almond milk and see how that tastes after it gets steamed and has a shot of espresso in it. Not holding out hope though.

I'm just curious if anyone has successfully found a good milk replacement in lattes. I've googled a few recipes and they didn't taste well. I'm not expecting it to taste exactly like a latte but close would be nice.
    Thanks for any tips guys!
    I say let her drink her daily vanilla latte if that is what is stopping her. If she starts feeling better when she changes her other eating habits (dropping gluten/grains could be huge!) then she might want to drop the habit.

I think right now it is just an excuse.

I would try canned coconut milk instead of the refrigerated coconut milk substitute. Much creamier. The coconut will overpower the taste unless you go hog-wild on the vanilla. Still, my strong advice would be go Paleo and drink the latte made how she likes them.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast