Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fascinating NPR article and video on pork butchering page

GabyYYZ is offline Junior Member

Fascinating NPR article and video on pork butchering

Shop Now
    Not sure which forum this was best for this topic so going for the Odds and Ends one. :-)

Vegan becomes a pork butcher

This is an amazing article and video on pork butchery. Always good to know where your food comes from. My favourite quote at the end of the video: "The redemptive value of the meat that is dead, it comes alive on your table. The redemptive power of meat to bring life again is amazing."
    Last edited by GabyYYZ; 01-21-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added quote

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for posting that - I just finished watching and learning what I've been doing wrong when cooking pork.

Sooo...you're in TO, yeah?

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Loved it! I want to buy some pork now and nosh on it. The comments on that article are sad, of course: "meat eating is a learned behavior." etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Unamused Mouse View Post
    Thank you for posting that - I just finished watching and learning what I've been doing wrong when cooking pork.

Sooo...you're in TO, yeah?
    Hey Mouse, yeah, been in TO since 2001. Slowly getting started on this whole re-working of my diet and good to see other folks up here.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    I think I want to be a butcher. Dang.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deepglades View Post
    I think I want to be a butcher. Dang.
    That's all I could think while watching that... and "Please don't throw out the fat.".

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Wow, that is fascinating. I didn't know where all the various cuts came from. Those hocks look tasty.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Wow, that is fascinating. I didn't know where all the various cuts came from. Those hocks look tasty.
    Always wanted to know exactly what a hock was. I knew it was related to the foot...was good to find out.
    Last edited by GabyYYZ; 01-23-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Ouaouaron is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. If I could do my education over again I think I would look into butchering. Back in the 90's I went to La Grande Boucherie in St. Martinsville out side of Lafayette, LA. Great experience, I recommend it. I got to eat fresh 1.5 inch thick cracklins (Gratons). Nothing like the stuff in the store, these were composed of skin, fat and meat.

La Grande Boucherie des Cajuns - St. Martinville, Louisiana
    An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
    -Somebody funny

War{^@^} is offline Junior Member
    As a kid my dad butchered everything(pigs, cows, deer, chickens, etc...) himself and I always got to be his little helper. When I was old enough and proved my skills, I took over the butchering. It's been 20+ years since I had to butcher an animal and in some ways I miss that. I felt I appreciated the meat I ate more.
    When deer hunting season or the family/friends would need more beef, the butchering would be an event for all involved to share(social gathering). One person cutting, one person trimming the meat and a couple of people wrapping it up and packing it in the ice box.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouaouaron View Post
    An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
    -Mark Twain
    Just an FYI Mark Twain didn't say that..... he died 1910 & the Empire State Building wasn't built until 1931. Just thought you'd like to know
    TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast