Thread: How much cholesterol do you consume per day on average? page

Kilian is offline Senior Member

How much cholesterol do you consume per day on average?

Primal Fuel
    I eat quite a few eggs and lots of grass-fed meat (obviously). I'm 22 and have never been to the doctor to have bloodwork done, so I don't know anything about that, yet.

Today I ate 6 eggs and 1.5 lbs. of beef liver and after punching it into cronometer, that comes out to about 4500mg of cholesterol. Is that way too much? Most other days I consume anywhere from 1-2000mg.

How much cholesterol do you guys typically consume?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i eat a bunch of eggs (4-6 per day at least), red meat, butter, etc. and it doesn't affect my cholesterol at all. there is almost no link between food cholesterol and blood cholesterol; that's mostly a CW belief.
    what will really raise your cholesterol is sugar, grains and other foods that will keep your blood sugar elevated. eat your steak and eggs.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Dietary cholesterol is not a problem. Even CW doctors will admit to that. Do a google search and you will see even mainstream websites say dietary cholesterol is not a problem.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

cave-e8r is offline Member
    I have no idea, but I had my blood drawn last week and I'm waiting to hear back on the results. i eat a ton of red meat. DAILY. at least 3 eggs every day, today it was five.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i eat a bunch of eggs (4-6 per day at least), red meat, butter, etc. and it doesn't affect my cholesterol at all. there is almost no link between food cholesterol and blood cholesterol; that's mostly a CW belief.
    what will really raise your cholesterol is sugar, grains and other foods that will keep your blood sugar elevated. eat your steak and eggs.
    Hearing that makes me feel a lot better. I eat 4-6 pastured eggs (duck/hen) on most days as well and sometimes question if that's too much. I'm a pretty big eater for such a small, lean guy (155 lbs., 6ft.), and I don't see too many other people on here that eat large (1500-2000cals) infrequent meals like I do.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I agree that dietary cholesterol is irrelevant with respect to blood cholesterol.

Too many carbs, especially fructose, is the major culprit for raising levels of bad cholesterol. A low-fat diet will generally raise levels of bad cholesterol.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

rkd80 is offline Member
    Interesting feedback.

Can someone help me with some information? How is it that sugar (and fructose) and grains affect cholesterol? I assume this is because of the damage it causes in the arteries thus causing the body to send out LDL to repair - but would like confirmation. Although fructose is not supposed to be that damaging and exists in every primal meal plan.

Regarding the OP, if the liver makes about 1300mg then presumably that is a perfectly normal amount to consume per day. What happens when there is an extra 1-3 grams? what happens to it...