Thread: Pork belly every day for breakfast...your thoughts? page

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member

Pork belly every day for breakfast...your thoughts?

Evening all. I've recently begun a Paleo-influenced diet in earnest, and one of the things that's helped me the most is a high-fat breakfast...in particular, two inch-thick slices of pork belly most mornings. Before, I'd be struck with serious chocolate cravings, but with a couple of belly slices in me, I can work well into the afternoon without remotely thinking about eating. Being able to go from 7am to 1pm without the urge to dive into a chocolate bar is one of the things that's made it possible for me to stick to the diet.

I'm interested in the opinions of everyone here as to whether having this most weekdays is too much. I'm not fat-phobic but I understand that the poly content of pork might be higher than red meat. Either way, I get that there's a lot of knowledge on these boards and would like opinions not tainted by years of Lipid Hypothesis thinking.

For extra info, I don't trim the rind unless some of the small hairs remain (which is rare) and never eat more than two in a morning (it really is true that you can't eat too much fat at one sitting).

Thanks in advance!

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Eat, enjoy, prosper. The omega ratios might not be great, but it's not going to hurt. The fat is mostly saturated and monounsaturated. The quality of the source will make a difference (pastured or not, or however pigs work), but you probably don't have much to worry about either way. Sounds like it's working for you, and pork belly is much better than its cured brother, bacon.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Side Pork (pork belly) is THE absolute best piece of 'bacon' I've ever had. You can control your own amount of salt, the cuts are thicker and it will fill your tummy a lot better than bacon.

I wish I had easier access to pork belly, my meat guy is slacking on 'weird' cuts...

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    Hmm... this is something I haven't tried. If I can get my hands on some, how to cook it?

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    It tends to come more in large pieces and the advice then is usually to slow roast it. However, I buy it in individual slices which can be fried or grilled (which works better). Imagine eating extremely thick slices of non-salty bacon.

About half of each slice is pure fat, which eats very well if cooked enough. The meat is moist as a result and the whole thing is orgasmic.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    my thoughts? sounds delicious!!! ive had braised pork belly at asian markets in the past as a dinner,too, if you want a variety idea.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it but it might get boring. I usually have some bison tongue for a three days of breakfast, pork belly for one or two, bacon and eggs for another and then nothing for one.

The nice thing about pork belly is that I can get it very cheap from an outstanding source, not sure if it is the same everywhere though. I can usually find it for at least half the price of a comparable amount of bacon. It stores well in the freezer and I find that I can slice a few pieces when it is thawed a bit, take the slices out and fry them or put them in the fridge over night to continue thawing and then put the rest back in the fridge.

I had a pork belly dish at a Thai restaurant that was amazing, must have had a 3/4 of a pound of it in there.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hmmm I think its a great start! I think its fine in the beginning but I would start to venture out a bit. I believe your a lot better off nutritionally by having a lot of variety (which is why having a meat CSA is so awesome because it contains a huge variety)... while I eat artichoke hearts cooked in beef tallow for breakfast....YUM . The other reason is the O3/O6 rations are not that favorable.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs