Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use vacuum sealed bags for sous vide cooking? page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Anyone use vacuum sealed bags for sous vide cooking?

Shop Now
    Just wondering, what is the bag made of? Isn't heating it up to high temperatures with your food in it the same as drinking water from a bottle that's been sitting in the sun all day?

EileenC is offline Junior Member
    I don't have an answer for your question, but I wanted to chime in and say that I was thinking of buying a sous vide, but the need to continually buy the bags, which aren't cheap, was a deal killer for me. With my large family, it would just add too much to our monthly food costs. If the price ever comes down, though ...

Lilyheart is offline Senior Member
    somewhere I read about silicon bags that reseal but I'll have to find the article again. I saved the bags on my amazon wishlist. I'll try to find it all tomorrow

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    The author of 'Nom Nom Paleo' (blog) wrote a post about it, and as I remember, she came up with an alternative.
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

Martha is offline Senior Member

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    Nom Nom paleo is amazing. I use her as my sous vide guide for everything. The bags are expensive, but the convenience outweighs the expense at this point for me (and I tend to use rolls and cut to size).

Lilyheart is offline Senior Member
    That is exactly the post. This is the method we plan on using once we get a sous vide for anything that wasn't already vacuum sealed for freezing.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    I was ready to whip out the credit card for the whole sous vide experience, then I saw the cooking times.

It would have sat and collected dust just like my crock pot, my pressure cooker, and my regular oven for that matter.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Things I hate about sou vide... the utterly consistent taste/texture. I prefer a variation in texture and temp... like a crusty exterior and RARE interior of a steak, or crusty exterior and medium interior of salmon. I want something cooked until soft all through I'll braise.
    Sous vide, as cool as it apears, just seems to remove many of the taste/texture experiences I like.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Things I hate about sou vide... the utterly consistent taste/texture. I prefer a variation in texture and temp... like a crusty exterior and RARE interior of a steak, or crusty exterior and medium interior of salmon. I want something cooked until soft all through I'll braise.
    Sous vide, as cool as it apears, just seems to remove many of the taste/texture experiences I like.
    From what I've heard, restaurants cook steak sous vide until it's rare and then give it a sear just before serving to get that lovely brown crust on the outside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast