Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help me with breakfast page

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Eggs, bacon, ham... enough already. Vegetables? Fine in eggs, but enough with the eggs! More cheese? Please. Yogurt? Well, okay, sometimes, but I need something more. In a pinch, just nuts are okay, but then it's a long way to lunch.

I need to stick to very few carbs in the morning, esp. no grain carbs, because of blood sugar issues.

What I REALLY want is oatmeal, but that seems out of the question almost entirely (I've gone down to 1 T of oat bran mixed with other stuff, and it still wasn't "trace" enough).

Carbs in nuts and dairy seem to have minimal effect; surprisingly, a small amount of honey or maple syrup (1/2 teaspoon) has minimal effect; berries are fine if kept to a small handful (less than a quarter cup), dried fruit can be trace with no probs.

What I'm thinking is a granola bar without the oats and other grains. In the house I have the following which might be useful: coconut flakes, shredded coconut, ground flax meal (needs to be minimal), almond meal, almonds, almond butter, pepitas (pumpkin seeds).

I could do a "mock" cereal, too.

This breakfast thing could make or break my primal pledge--I'm on the edge here, people! And I may make the decision to ask about more/different diabetes medication over this, though I really don't want to.

Primal bakers, help!

beckinwolf is offline Member

Are you open to changing your mind about what breakfast foods "should be"? It took me awhile to get away from yogurt/cottage cheese/egg dishes too. Do you have a crockpot? The best thing I've done for breakfast has been cooking a cut of meat in the crockpot for breakfast the next morning. 8 hours of sleep = 8 hours of slow-cooking. So far, I've done beef, chicken, and duck in the crockpot overnight. I usually throw in some misc. veggies and spices, and by morning, I've got a hearty stew. Last night, I did 1/4 of a duck breast with skin the left on. I put mushrooms, diced carrots, diced onions, and garlic salt along with just enough water to cover the meat and veggies. This morning, it was so warm and comforting to eat. Not your typical breakfast, but still very good. Just a different idea.

Carpe Diem!

@beckinwolf--I've thought about that, and I can do something like that on occasion--just as I used to, on occasion, think that sausage or bacon and eggs was a fantastic treat and change of pace.

I think that at the early hour I eat (about 6) I just don't go for "savory." Truly, some days it makes me nauseous. Perhaps there's something lacking in my diet or something about my physiology that makes my body say "please give me some carbs in the morning" but then it can't handle them.

I'll admit the idea of "can't" adds a psychological dimension that doesn't help, but it is taking some time to find a good counselor that accepts my insurance (notkiddingseriously).

Nature Valley makes a mostly-nut-and seed bar held together with sugar and corn syrup, and I keep a box in the cupboard as a sort of a breakfast emergency kit--it's not ideal for the diabetes numbers, but it isn't a disaster, either. If I could create something similar with a little less sugar carbs and no corn syrup, I think I would be happy with it on 4 or five days a week and an omelet or dinner leftovers the rest.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

How hungry are you in the morning? hungry enough to eat? sometimes I don't eat until later in the day. I have noticed a decrease in hunger, and hours without eating are way more manageable. Maybe if you wait to eat you'll be able to have something more savory? Maybe eating those eggs and bacon will actually seem yummy.

I've been having either meat (steak) or chicken with some greens, usually broccoli, kale and spinach, maybe onions and tomatoes, and I marry it all with eggs I also add homemade aji to it (yellow peppers, half an onion, 2 garlic cloves, pepper, some salt, blend) for a kick ... I've had eggs way before attempting to go primal, the only difference is I add more veggies to my breakfast now.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

iniQuity--I do think I'm actually hungry in the morning.

Also, if I don't eat in the morning, my blood sugar continues to rise (it's hard to understand, but I can explain if you'd like) and then it's high even before lunch. Theoretically, if it didn't rise, or rose and then fell without food, it could crash b/c of the medication I take--though this has not happened to me and I really don't think it will at the current dose, it's not something I feel the need to experiment with on a regular basis.

No anti-granola bar recipes? Maybe I just need to clean off the counter, roll up my sleeves, and start sacrificing ingredients...

Chelc is offline Junior Member

What if you mixed and melted, say 1/3 cup, of almond flour/meal with some butter and threw in a small handful of blueberries. That would give you fat and protein with minimal carbs and it is a step away from the bacon and eggs. I admit I struggle with morning eating myself. I can eat bacon at any point but eggs can be a struggle first thing in the mornings sometimes.

Chelc is offline Junior Member

oh, and you could probably throw in some of that shredded coconut into the mixture.

klubkhty is offline Junior Member

if you want something that's not too savory, I recommend making a protein shake... throw in strawberries + bananas, or blueberries+strawberries and thats a nice change. I really, really love chocolate whey protein + coconut milk (with ice and some water). it's so creamy it reminds me of ice cream kind of. YUM.

Hm. Coconut milk and whey protein might just work!

I've held off on the whole whey protein thing, but may just cave for this reason.

(I've done kefir and a few berries, but couldn't do a few berries plus a little honey, and it was just too sour for me to stick with it--though I think I've got less of a sweet tooth now and it might be worth trying again...)

paleoberg Guest

i like hard boiled eggs, kielbasa, half an avocado

and some coconut milk with some blueberries inside. yum!

stay about from those nature valley granola bars though. be strong gottaluvalab!

or make them yourself following a recipe like this but without the dried fruit crap: http://paleomama.wordpress.com/2009/10/08/almost-oatmeal-raisin-paleo-cookies/

and eat that with the cococnut milk.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast