Thread: Freezer "essentials"? page

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi everyone,

I'm going to a farmers market at the weekend, so prime opportunity to stock up on meat, eggs, fresh local produce.

But what would you recommend? I'm thinking dry-cure proper bacon to start...

I could do with suggestions of cheaper cuts of meat, or items that can be used in lots of different ways? It's a bit warm for stews at the minute though so does that rule out the really cheap cuts?

Also does anyone prioritise what meat needs to be organic? Eg I saw somewhere (I've been reading around a lot!) that pork is one to really watch, as they store vitamin D in the fat so outdoor / organic is critical. As opposed to chicken, because free range is readily available in supermarkets.

Any thoughts, ideas...?

Thank you!!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

NM I'd say prioritize beef. In my experience, it's very hard to find grass-fed meat in regular supermarkets, and when you do, it's prohibitively expensive. Not that farmers market are necessarily cheap though.

If I were you, I'd get all 100% grass-fed beef cuts I can and freeze it all. I'd also look for free-range lard and good grass-fed organ meats.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

When I go to the farmers market I generally opt for organ meat. I usually get at least heart, tongue and liver. They're generally pretty cheap- as little as $2.00/lb. Remember, you can cut larger pieces into smaller portions. (Pork loin into several chops.)

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Thank you

(have tried liver and not to my taste, may go for the others though!)