Thread: Preparing Tallow to Eat by Itself page

Preparing Tallow to Eat by Itself

I was wondering how I would prepare tallow if I just wanted to eat a couple of tablespoons as I know eating it as it is wouldn't have been through enough of a cooking process to rid of germs. I am new to cooking so I apologize: if I cook a good portion of tallow should I refrigerate it after to solidify it for a better taste or should I eat it hot?

Why do I have to render the tallow on a low heat? Couldn't I just cook it during the rendering process or is this just a dumb question lol.

Also: after rendering a pound and a half of tallow with a cup of water, do I need to refrigerate it because it isn't that much water? And if I do how long do I have to refrigerate it? Thank you for anyone who has any advice or who has tried to help.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    I've never eaten tallow straight, but the rendering process is simple. Cut the fat into small chunks, put it in a pot on low (Orin the oven at about 225 degrees F) and wait. Stir occasionally. Eventually it will melt,the water will be evaporated out, and you will be left with a transparent golden brown bowl of awesome.
    http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Rendering tallow brings it to boiling-water temperature. It is perfectly safe to eat it. I don't really know why you'd want to eat it straight instead of using it to cook with, but it's fine.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Thank you all for your responses. I don't have a thermometer: does anyone know what the average temperature is for the 1 setting, out of 9, on a ordinary electric stove because I want to eat this after refrigerating it once instead of reheating it for sanitary reasons after rendering it, then refrigerating it again for solidification so I could eat it solidified. I have been rendering it on the 1 setting for 2 hours now and it is still not done or a yellowish-clear yet.

And after rendering it, how long do I have to refrigerate it to solidify?

And the reason why I want to eat it straight, I know lol I sound intense, is because I also eat Olive Oil because I try to avoid having mainly cooked fat as a large portion of my source of fat and the salicylic acid and taste really gets to me in Olive oil and coconut oil has too much saturated fat per serving and I am trying to get satisfied with more.

souldanzer is offline Senior Member
    Tallow by default is always cooked fat as the rendering process requires cooking it. If you boil the fat chunks in water that's 100 C and in my opinion, cooked.

If you want to get more raw fat into your diet, you'd have to eat the chunks of beef fat you're intending to render.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Make some pemmican!!!!

I was just referring to why I eat Olive oil Souldanzer but thank you for the response anyway.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    While we're talking about tallow I have a question. I rendered 4 lbs of it yesterday in the oven for the first time. Per my book, Fat, I added 1/3 cup of water/lb to the bottom of the pan to keep the fat from burning before melting. Well after 6 hrs yesterday I bottled it up in some mason jars and noticed this morning that there is about 1/2 inch of water in each bottle. How do I know when all the water has boiled off? I figured such a long time in the oven it should have been gone.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I've been using water, and I use a turkey baster to remove it from the bottom of the jars. But I'm not using water next time.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I've been using water, and I use a turkey baster to remove it from the bottom of the jars. But I'm not using water next time.
    That's a good idea. I am re-rendering it to try get rid of the water. If water remains I'll pull out the baster.