Thread: Total daily calories with regard to mass gaining. page

barehard Guest

Shop Now

I know I've done a thread along these lines before but I'm just looking for clarification and peoples' experiences.

Despite not even achieving my recommended maintenance calorie figure daily, I'm gaining muscle. I'm certainly getting enough protein. Is the total calorie count different for primal folks? I beat myself up about not getting enough food in and sometimes find myself contemplating doing shots of olive oil lol or something equally silly. But I am gaining muscle at the moment so I'm not convinced the usual calorie calculators work (I was using lbm x 18 btw.)

animalcule is offline Senior Member

I seem to be gaining muscle too - if not lots of mass, definition. Especially in my abs. It's kind of weirding me out - I am completely sendentary right now.

Anyway, if you're getting the desired results, you're doing something right. Don't stress too much about the math.

I need like nothing to maintain (I weigh 100 lbs) and I try get in somewhere over 2200 daily though I'm not too strict with counting. I've been fully primal for 4 months and have put on maybe 5 lbs which is great for me.

hippie_mama is offline Member

I'm curious about this too; according to FitDay, i'm only averaging 50% of the calories from food that it thinks i burn in a day. I'm losing weight, but not scary-fast, but i don't work out either, so i don't feel like i *need* the extra calories.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

I'm starting to believe that when you eat Primal, your body processes food better, and becomes more efficient. All calories are not created equal!

I'm actually not eating nearly the number of calories I was eating pre-primal (when I felt like I was starving to death on about 1,600 cal/day). Now I'm totally happy and eating whenever I want, and consuming about 1,400 per day ;-)

Vick is offline Senior Member

That is probably why the more experienced ones (I'm not there yet) quit counting calories. They let their bodies tell them they are getting enough to eat and don't second guess it by counting.

barehard Guest

Thanks for the replies guys. It's a shame there's not any proper research to refer to. As long as I'm still gaining muscle and feeling full I'm gonna stick to what I'm doing. I'm past the counting stage anyway, just when it feels like I'm eating LOADS, I'm dismayed when thedailyburn.com says I'm not lol. My macronutrient proportion pie chart matches Mark's in his "what i eat in a day" article so that's a good thing I suppose.